Can't receive SMS with Straight Talk T-mobile SIM

Cunningham

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I just got my Nexus 4 and Straight Talk Tmobile SIM yesterday, and ported my number from Sprint. Today it seems like the port was successful except for one thing: I can't receive SMS. I can make and receive phone calls, access data on the mobile network, send and receive MMS, and send SMS, but not receive SMS. I called Sprint to verify everything was cancelled and ported properly and also called Straight Talk support and they said they will have to send a new SIM card because they can not find anything else wrong. Before I get the new SIM and start over again I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas.

I was able to send a SMS to myself and receive it but not from any other phone or carrier I have tested. I checked the forums for anything like this and some had a similar problem porting from Verizon when they did not completely purge the old account. I checked with sprint and they seem to think it is fine. Also I have seen many reports of MMS and/or data not working but never just receiving SMS being the problem. I'm using the standard Straight Talk Tmobile APN settings for smartphones from their website and the activation card. Since it is only receiving SMS that is the problem I am skeptical that it is a faulty SIM. Any help would be appreciated.