Volume buttons after 4.3

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone, I wonder if anyone else has this problem.

My Nexus 4 is totally completely stock. I got the update OTA with no trickery involved. Lol.

Since the update which I got Friday July 26 I have had to power my phone 4 off times. The problem is that the volume buttons don't work and there is no way to adjust the volume. The buttons are completely unresponsive.

Anyone else experience this?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Moktod

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
The volume up button seems to be having issues. I press it once and sometimes the volumes goes up one notch. I can't seem to increase the volume more than one notch while using the rocker button. I've reboot several times without any success.

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I never had this issue before the update. It's totally new to me. Is this new to you too?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Sridhar Iyer

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here...I just noticed that the volume buttons work when notification screen is opened..and stops working when on Home screen...Also, occasionally I have issues with power button....becomes unresponsive!

4.3 is a disappointing update!!

danootz

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
For those with the volume bug, are you using Nova Launcher?

I started getting the bug after I manually pushed the 4.3 image from the Google site. I had to unlock, so the phone was wiped before pushing the update and then it going through the upgrade process.

I went one by one through apps I thought that might be causing it. Lightflow's quiet hours thing made me think it was that app. But the problem persisted.

It wasn't until I uninstalled Nova Launcher (& Nova Launcher Prime) that I haven't gotten the volume button bug again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

RSE

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
experiencing the same problem, the volume is stuck at 5....it can be decreased but the volume cannot be increased

jaredsutter

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
My wife's N4's volume buttons stopped working about a month ago, still on 4.2.2. Called Google Play support and they did an RMA. Pretty painless process.

Volume buttons flaking out seems not to be an uncommon problem with the N4, as I've seen other threads about it. I doubt it has much to do with the 4.3 update, although I could be wrong.

dg777

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same issue with my N4 since updating to 4.3...and I am also using Novalauncher. V buttons stop working if I mute the ringer. I can only get them working again if I go into the settings and use the onscreen slider to restore volume. Once the ringer is no longer muted, v buttons work again.

anon(5678453)

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I also started experiencing the volume button issue not long after upgrading to 4.3. I've already had to reboot the phone once because of it and that fixed it for a little bit. However, it's acting up again. I didn't think to try adjusting the volume while the notification screen is open until I read Sridhar's post. It works fine on that screen so at least I don't have to reboot it every time now.

In response to danootz's question, no, I'm not using Nova Launcher.

UPDATE:

Okay, I was messing with my phone tonight and found that I can adjust the volume in any app (not just the notification screen). Anyway, I'm not sure if it's the cause of the volume button not working on the home screen. And, honestly, I'm really not sure how it would be, but I went into a sound settings and unchecked the "Vibrate on touch" option. After doing that the volume buttons started working on the home screen again.

I just wanted to share that with everyone in case it might help someone else. It may be a coincidence or a temporary fix. I really don't know, but I'll keep an eye on it and try to let you guys know what happens.

Last edited:

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
My wife's N4's volume buttons stopped working about a month ago, still on 4.2.2. Called Google Play support and they did an RMA. Pretty painless process.

Volume buttons flaking out seems not to be an uncommon problem with the N4, as I've seen other threads about it. I doubt it has much to do with the 4.3 update, although I could be wrong.

I think this was just a hardware defect in your case. What people here are talking about is something that is happening to some people since 4.3.

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I am seeing volume problems on 4.3 also. Never saw it on 4.2.2 or earlier. To the poster above who asked, I am not and have never used Nova Launcher.

I do use DashClock widget - are we all DashClock users that are seeing volume control problems?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair