Battery "not charging" after 4.3 update.

1banger

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
This is a stock un-rooted phone. Installed 4.3 update yesterday and this morning I got a battery low message. So I checked it out, and found that the battery no longer charges when connected to the charger, USB or otherwise.

It was connected to my USB port on my home computer as I always do every night. I have tried using other known good USB cable I have, but same result. I have reset, and downloaded all my data, but still the same.

When I turn the phone off it goes to the "charging" icon and animates like it is charging, but it's not, because I am at 0% battery when I turn it on. I can power it up as long as it is connected to my PC via USB. When I
power on it does just fine, and takes me to my login screen, with the "connect your charger" message on the login screen.

Seeing the "charging animation" and being able to power it up as long as I am connected the USB, should mean that the phone is receiving power from the cord, just won't charge the battery.

Never had a problem with this phone until I updated to 4.3! And I almost didn't because of crap like this when you do an OS update. iPhone did this a few times too after OS updates. One of the many reasons I ditched it.

Last edited:

1banger

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Ok, after further testing, it looks like the phone will charge the battery if it is powered off. Only if powered on does it stop charging the battery. Seems like there is something on the new OS causing this.
Battery will charge until OS loads?

Edwards Luzardo

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I had the exact same issue. I found a fix in a google forum.

it goes like this:

Go to Settings > Storage > Menu > USB Computer Connection

Unclick Media Device (MTP)

Unplug and replug your charger/USB connection .

It worked for me, I hope it works for you.

James Buchanan61

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, I didn't get the same results... de-selected the MTP option, powered down, then up, unplugged my USB, then reconnected - nothing. Battery still does not charge while on. One good thing... I am able to charge when the phone is turned off. At least I don't lose the use of my phone while I search for a better solution.
Thanks for the info though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12