Google Services battery drain

dorblayzer

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
hi,

last night before i went to sleep my phone was on 100% battery.

in the morning, it went down to 78%. never had has much battery drain over the night, all thank to google services.

Attachments

• 2013-08-03 08.05.52.png
    2013-08-03 08.05.52.png
    170 KB · Views: 212
  • 2013-08-03 08.14.37.png
    2013-08-03 08.14.37.png
    173.7 KB · Views: 204

agp101

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I've had similar problems. For me I had high awake time due to a location process. You seem to have high wake lock times too with 4+ hours.

I downloaded the wake lock detector app on the Play Store and found it to be a location problem. I've disabled Google location reporting as that was my main culprit, especially with Google Now activated. Now my phone is in deep sleep 84% of the time as opposed to 0%. My awake time would be the total time since unplugged literally.

But to know what exactly is triggering the wake lock on your device I recommend downloading the wake lock detector app and follow the simple instructions provided in its description on Google Play. It should reveal what process is triggering the wake lock. Mine was "nlp collector location" or something like that, part of Google services. Google now seems to be the main culprit as it is off now but location reporting is on and the problem has not returned. Google now uses primarily location reporting to function and i believe the app was causing excessive location reporting.

Hope this helps.

Posted via Android Central App

eronfaure

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact same problem as OP.

When disabling location reporting, you lose the function of Google Now, which is one of the best features. Any other suggestions?

agp101

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact same problem as OP.

When disabling location reporting, you lose the function of Google Now, which is one of the best features. Any other suggestions?

Well the problem I think is actually Google Now. I've actually left location reporting on and disabled google now and my phone enters deep sleep finally. Google now seems to be excessively using location reporting through the "NLPcolletorwakelock" process. This seems to be a bug introduced with 4.3. Unfortunately. Google now is the culprit, not location reporting in and of itself.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I already had Google now disabled and am experiencing the same thing so in my case at least it is tied to location reporting. I could just turn it off but then the camera app won't geotag photos. :(

eronfaure

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I tried disabling Google now and found that I am still getting horrible Nlpwakelocks. I'm going to have to do a factory reset quite soon because getting 2h+ of jeep awake time for Google play services when the phone is only been on for 7 hours is way too excessive.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

agp101

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunate that 4.3 had to introduce this nasty bug. Doesn't seem to affect everyone in the same way. Maybe location reporting itself is the culprit. I have it disabled but I didn't have sleep problems when I left it enabled yesterday.

anon(354569)

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same issue with Google Services eating up my battery which is really unfortunate because I was getting really good battery life with 4.2.2. I am a fan of Google Now and use it all the time so disabling it is not something that I would like to do, especially since it is a highly promoted feature for Android and it should work. Has anyone tried, or think it would help, to enable the new feature under Advanced WiFi settings, "Scanning always available"?

eronfaure

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I posted this in another thread but I've finally found the reason for my crazy Google Services wakelocks: Google Maps. At the suggestion of someone, I turned off location history and reporting in Maps and my wakelocks are all gone. Back to normal. I generally have wifi on 24 hours a day so I would imagine it'd be the same as "Scanning always available". I can say that with wifi on all day the wakelocks are pretty minor. Sucks that I had to turn off the Maps location reporting though.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I have found this to be an intermittent, but not continuous problem - happens maybe one night a week. One helpful action has been, every once in awhile, to uninstall the latest version of Google Maps, restart the phone, then reinstall Google Maps' latest update. This seems to interrupt whatever process is causing Google Maps to drain your battery excesively.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I posted this in another thread but I've finally found the reason for my crazy Google Services wakelocks: Google Maps. At the suggestion of someone, I turned off location history and reporting in Maps and my wakelocks are all gone. Back to normal. I generally have wifi on 24 hours a day so I would imagine it'd be the same as "Scanning always available". I can say that with wifi on all day the wakelocks are pretty minor. Sucks that I had to turn off the Maps location reporting though.

That stinks if that is the culprit. I hate to say it, but I would rather have poor battery life and all of my features active :(

agp101

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
How can you turn it off for maps only? That setting within maps is for all Google apps. It's the same screen that's within the Google settings app. As I previously mentioned (not that this works for everyone), I left location reporting and history on but its disabled Google now and all is fine. Consequently the way you did it, is that you turned off location reporting and history for Google apps, including Google now, thus disabling the service.

agp101

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I have found this to be an intermittent, but not continuous problem - happens maybe one night a week. One helpful action has been, every once in awhile, to uninstall the latest version of Google Maps, restart the phone, then reinstall Google Maps' latest update. This seems to interrupt whatever process is causing Google Maps to drain your battery excesively.

What's interesting in what you say is that maybe by disabling location reporting in Google settings, that alone disrupts a process and then we can turn it back on again. This means it might have to do with any Google app (pretty much just Google maps and Now). I might try turning Google now back on today to see if I still get wake locks. If I don't then maybe I simply interrupted a process within maps. Will post back.

eronfaure

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I tested this extensively in the past couple of days (you can see my many, many posts) and have certainly determined location reporting is the wake lock machine. I went half day yesterday with location history on in maps and I got a large number of wake locks but nothing compared to when I have location reporting on. I tried disabling Google Now and I still got the wake locks so, at least for me, Gnow isn't the issue.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

anon(354569)

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
It is definitely something related to location. I tried disabling my weather app, 1weather, "follow my location setting" and I am seeing much better battery life now, although Google services is still on the list, but not first or second. I have location reporting on and location history off. I use Google Now all the time and really like it and don't want to disable this feature.

agp101

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Weirdly enough, I have enabled location settings and reporting within all Google apps though settings, and enabled Google now again. I have zero issues. :confused:.
I literally reverted my phone to the settings I had when having wake locks but I don't have them anymore.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm running stock 4.3 ROM with faux123's kernel and I usually lose 1-2% per hour on wi-fi, but in the past couple of days it's been really bad, like today draining 30% in 6-1/2 hours on wi-fi. I should be around 88% at this point. Here's what BBB is reporting:

Super annoying. Trying to disable location services usually leads to the next thing I want to do prompting an error that if can't do it because location services are disabled and I have to turn them back on.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek