Nexus 4 is coming in the mail today... help with rooting?

mypancakeslookfine

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I've read a lot about how to root and what to do, but I'm still hesitant. I know the device is already unlocked by Google, but is there anything I need to do otherwise before rooting it? Or could someone suggest an *****-proof/for-dummies guide/video/way to go about doing it?

OR... do I even need to root it at all? I keep seeing all these ROMs and hacks that look GREAT, but require a rooted device and I just really, really don't want to f*ck it up. Suggestions? Advice? Please and thank you.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
My advice to you would be to unlock the bootloader now and root later. Unlocking the boot loader, which completely wipes the device when you do it, when you get it will prevent you from losing storage data should you wait until later to do it. Waiting to root will give you time to learn the device and truly decide if you need to root.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Rooting is very simple, sometimes looking at guides can make things seem complicated when in fact they are really simple. All you have to do is
  1. Download SDK & Drivers
  2. Unlock Bootloader
  3. Flash Custom Recovery
  4. Flash SuperSu Zip

You can use toolkits which make things really easy but I would recommend doing it manually as you gain better knowledge. It is extremely difficult to screw up a nexus device unless you do something drastic like flash a nexus 7 kernel or something but even then the phone is recoverable.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
just a tip!! update to 4.3 and then factory reset before even entering your Gmail credential.
reduces all update issues that people encounter. Then root it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox