Nexus 4 Battery Swelling - Cautionary Tale and Adventure in Google Support Staff

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm not here to warn you against a Nexus 4, I loved my Nexus 4 and I would happily continue to use one. I'm a loyal Google customer, I also own the Nexus 10 and I've always owned Android phones. Take away from my story what you will. All I can say is that Google played this so wrong. If they had been more transparent or believed my story and RMA'ed my device, I would've continued to buy Google phones and tablets for years. Now I cannot in good conscious buy a product directly designed by Google (I know manufactured by LG).
I think you might want to re-think this, as it turns out Google is helping you out; LG should receive your negative comments not Google.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I live in FL and I wouldn't leave it in a car for 5 mins day or night, it's just too darn hot here. I actually have a thermometer sit in my console, on an average day it reads 145F when I get in the car. night time is not as hot but still too hot to leave stuff like that in a car. I would probably would have played dumb when I called them and not admitted it was even in a car, and never admit to a 3rd party charger.

I probably would have too. But, I also wouldn't have left it in my car.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
How did Google help out the original poster? Google screwed him.

I live in FL and I wouldn't leave it in a car for 5 mins day or night, it's just too darn hot here. I actually have a thermometer sit in my console, on an average day it reads 145F when I get in the car. night time is not as hot but still too hot to leave stuff like that in a car. I would probably would have played dumb when I called them and not admitted it was even in a car, and never admit to a 3rd party charger.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Leaving the phone in a car is no big deal. These things set in trucks for days during shipping. Those trucks are not air conditioned!

Posted via Android Central App

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Leaving the phone in a car is no big deal. These things set in trucks for days during shipping. Those trucks are not air conditioned!

They are, actually. Trucks carrying electronics are climate controlled.

mset

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Just to reiterate, this is wrong. Trucks carrying modern cell phones and other sensitive electronic equipment are absolutely climate controlled.

85 degrees outside can mean way higher temps in the car. OP, it's just bad luck that you mentioned the car. It does warn against this in the documentation. You gave them a reason to deny your claim. Google Support treated me very well when I had a hardware issue. I didn't even buy the phone from them, I bought it from craigslist. One day the two finger swipe caused the phone to freeze up. This happened a couple of times so I called them. The guy didn't even ask me any questions, just RMA'd it.

I know it sucks to hear good stories when you've had a bad experience, but I feel like I should give them props where they deserve it. Next time, just tell them the minimum.

Try again with a manager, maybe.

jrham

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying it good for a phone at all but I worked in an Arizona
state prison for over 10 years all of which I was a cell phone/smart phone user, as a prison employee we were absolutely not allowed to bring cell phones on site and that meant they stayed in your car. In my 10+ years I had at least 5 different smartphones that survived many 110+? summer days without a single problem, also it can easily reach 180?in a car in this state. Another point, these phones can withstand quite a bit, everyone is worried about a phone in a car during an 85?day, well if im doing something outside during the summer my phone is with me and it was 109? today and the battery looks just fine.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AC Forums mobile app

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I stand corrected.... Still, a cellphone should easily handle a day in a car. The rest of the cars electronics are setting out there.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I stand corrected.... Still, a cellphone should easily handle a day in a car. The rest of the cars electronics are setting out there.

Electronics in cars are designed to withstand temperatures of well over 150 degrees (on the exterior of the car, so more than 200 degrees inside), and sub zero temperatures. A smartphone is not.

jrham

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Electronics in cars are designed to withstand temperatures of well over 150 degrees (on the exterior of the car, so more than 200 degrees inside), and sub zero temperatures. A smartphone is not.

Still never had 1 phone or battery die in 10 years while being kept in a car during Az summers while working.

JUST SAYIN

jrham

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You got lucky.

Yeah I got lucky for 10 years straight and 5 different phones. Also I worked with many other people and everyone had to leave their phone in their car, never once heard of anyone complaining about swollen batteries or destroyed electronics. I agree its not a good idea and decreases the life of the battery but theses phones are designed for all types of climates. You guys are worried about an 85? day and my phone is in my pocket everyday in 110?. Should people in Az not use cell phones because of high heat ? Luck is getting away with something a few times but 10 years and multiple phones isn't luck, these phones are designed to withstand quite a bit .

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I got lucky for 10 years straight and 5 different phones. Also I worked with many other people and everyone had to leave their phone in their car, never once heard of anyone complaining about swollen batteries or destroyed electronics. I agree its not a good idea and decreases the life of the battery but theses phones are designed for all types of climates. You guys are worried about an 85? day and my phone is in my pocket everyday in 110?. Should people in Az not use cell phones because of high heat ? Luck is getting away with something a few times but 10 years and multiple phones isn't luck, these phones are designed to withstand quite a bit .

The batteries are not designed to withstand being left in a hot car for extended periods. You got lucky.

jrham

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes I did about 3000 times and amazingly it continues to happen every day here in Az.

googlefandroid

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Got a new Nexus 4 from Google today, back was almost disconnected and the battery was soft and bulging. So Mr "Metle", it was never connected to a charger, opened the box for the first time and it was broken. So, it seems to be a common issue, I'd keep replying to google and let them know you aren't the only one.

festinator

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Got a new Nexus 4 from Google today, back was almost disconnected and the battery was soft and bulging. So Mr "Metle", it was never connected to a charger, opened the box for the first time and it was broken. So, it seems to be a common issue, I'd keep replying to google and let them know you aren't the only one.

Since when does 2 people having a problem signal a common issue?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674