Nexus 4 Battery Swelling - Cautionary Tale and Adventure in Google Support Staff

zaghand

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Nexus 4 in January, as soon as I could after the initial batch became unavailable online. I loved the phone, I still love the phone. I bought the official bumper, bought screen protectors, took care of it like a baby. Two days ago I left it in my car overnight (I live in Saint Louis where the temperature is 80s, and I left the phone in the car around 6 PM) and the next morning, the back panel bulged out. The phone didn't work and by the following day, the back panel had bulged out even more (please see pictures for more info). I called support, and initially they offered to RMA the device. After some back and forth emails, they said my phone wasn't covered under warranty - because I had left it in my car. I tried to explain to them that I take care of my phone, and that my phone hadn't been abused or anything. The guy emailed me back saying that it wasn't covered under warranty because my back panel was broken (which it wasn't) and that I should buy a case and screen protector (which are visible in the pictures). They said it was a user caused wear-and-tear (because I left the car in the phone) and wouldn't explain to me how I could cause the insides of my phone to swell up, and of course you're not allowed to talk to RMA people directly.

I'm not here to warn you against a Nexus 4, I loved my Nexus 4 and I would happily continue to use one. I'm a loyal Google customer, I also own the Nexus 10 and I've always owned Android phones. Take away from my story what you will. All I can say is that Google played this so wrong. If they had been more transparent or believed my story and RMA'ed my device, I would've continued to buy Google phones and tablets for years. Now I cannot in good conscious buy a product directly designed by Google (I know manufactured by LG).

zjSnD4K.jpg

PPUfaYe.jpg

Hd1j6Xr.jpg

hrsetrdr

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your story, sorry to hear that your N4 went belly up. I can't imagine how the bulging can be related to the relatively low 80 deg F temps in your car, which undoubtedly dropped lower, after the 6PM [and later] time frame. Apparently the support people seized upon the knowledge that it was left in a car, as an excuse to deny an RMA. Perhaps you could attempt to contact someone higher up in the Support hierarchy. Best of luck.

Last edited:

5L Mustang

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Ya that's very discouraging!! I'm soory about your phone I certainly don't have a few hundred bucks sitting around for a new if my perfectly good one decides to malfunction for no reason!!!

sent from Nexus 4 Posted via Android Central App

Brandorak

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Oh my! Well at least you should be able to buy a new battery and fix it yourself. My battery gets up to 115 degrees while in my car mount in the sun. I read online swelling can be caused by overcharging as well, how often did you have it left charging at 100%?

Ribs85

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Let this be a warning to everyone else.

Don't tell them anything more than strictly necessary.

Just "my phone has bulged and won't switch on", basic description of the fault, nothing more. Don't mention dropping, friend using it, 3rd party charger etc. This is the exact reason I am still on stock (that plus I kinda like it, admittedly)

Obviously no good for the op now, but clearly Google are using excuses here to not repair the phone. Google cannot prove the phone was left in too higher temperature. Personally I'd take them to small claims court.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I live in a different state but as you can see in the south sometimes temp hang longer than expected i live in louisiana but still it could happen and if your battery is swelling and cracking dont use it at all or charge it it could be a time bomb

Sent from my HTC One X+ using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1376213269549.jpg
    1376213269549.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 137

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Ya that's very discouraging!! I'm soory about your phone I certainly don't have a few hundred bucks sitting around for a new if my perfectly good one decides to malfunction for no reason!!!

sent from Nexus 4 Posted via Android Central App

One question did you leave it on a charger? Some chargers dont have a chip that will put a trickle charge to keep this from happening but some sont and just give full power and a night like that will do this your lucky it didnt explode

Sent from my HTC One X+ using AC Forums mobile app

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Oh my! Well at least you should be able to buy a new battery and fix it yourself. My battery gets up to 115 degrees while in my car mount in the sun. I read online swelling can be caused by overcharging as well, how often did you have it left charging at 100%?

There is circuitry in the battery that prevents overcharging automatically.

SiBlackwell

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Building a decent product is one thing but a good support structure is another. Google clearly don't have this yet but will need to.

You could try going direct to LG.

Posted via Android Central App

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Might be best to give a call and ask how it falls under consumer wear and tear. Sorry about your phone, I'm sure with some persistence it will pay off.

TheLegoman

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I think i hit the nerve

sent from my one x+ if i helped you out hit that thanks button ;)

I don't think you hit a nerve or a nail on the head. A lot of people post something and forget that they posted it. As a result, they don't answer back on the thread.

The phone controls the charging, so it limits exactly how much electricity goes into the battery. There is no such thing as overcharging, as the phone cuts off the charge when it is done charging. The battery or some other circuitry was most likely defective, causing the battery to puff up like that. The charger or cord could also have been shoddy, causing the battery to short out and puff. However, I would just wait and see what the OP says before thinking that I had found the cause if the problem.

Basically, this "charger" is just a power supply, and it is the phone's duty to control the charging. So there is really no point in asking whether the "charger" had a chip for trickle charging.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't think you hit a nerve or a nail on the head. A lot of people post something and forget that they posted it. As a result, they don't answer back on the thread.

The phone controls the charging, so it limits exactly how much electricity goes into the battery. There is no such thing as overcharging, as the phone cuts off the charge when it is done charging. The battery or some other circuitry was most likely defective, causing the battery to puff up like that. The charger or cord could also have been shoddy, causing the battery to short out and puff. However, I would just wait and see what the OP says before thinking that I had found the cause if the problem.

Basically, this "charger" is just a power supply, and it is the phone's duty to control the charging. So there is really no point in asking whether the "charger" had a chip for trickle charging.

Hmm interesting

sent from my one x+ if i helped you out hit that thanks button ;)

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The fact that it was 80 degrees outside isn't entirely relevant. On a day like that, the inside of your car could very easily reach 115 degrees or higher. If its left in the sun and plugged in, that is even worse.

Frankly, it should be common sense to not leave your phone in a locked car on a warm day. It says it plain as day in your owners manual as well, including warnings about the exact thing that happened with your phone. Its unfortunate, but Google isn't being unreasonable.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
--snip--

After some back and forth emails, they said my phone wasn't covered under warranty - because I had left it in my car.

--snip--

I have worked in IT for nearly 30 years. Let me offer this simple rule when dealing with tech support: Never offer more info than is absolutely necessary! There was no need to describe having left the phone in the car overnight nor anything else; all you needed to say was that the back of the case is bulging out and it looks dangerous to your untrained eye.

The same rule applies to auto dealer service departments: if you say, "I don't know what is wrong, but I think the transmission is making a funny noise," you can be certain that they will find a way to soak you for a few thousand dollars worth of transmission repairs, whereas if you had simply complained of a funny noise they would have found a loose bracket and charged you $100 to tighten it up.

scottkct

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Just discovered my wife's N4 has done the same thing. First called LG. They were worthless. Said I needed to send in to fix and they would charge. I called Google seeing if they would be of any assistance. They were WAAAY more helpful. After 15 minute wait I explained to the rep that my wife's N4 back cover was separating from the phone. I said upon opening up I discovered the battery was swollen and read online that this was VERY serious and to turn off immediately. The rep was very concerned too and immediately created a case to replace the phone ASAP.

Here are some photos. Notice how the plastic around all the buttons is cracked or broken off. This was due to the stress the battery was creating, popping off the little plastic surrounding the buttons.

WF8fkAo.jpg

GZ7Cb4e.jpg

rZZV7e6.jpg

H010Df9.jpg

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
The fact that it was 80 degrees outside isn't entirely relevant. On a day like that, the inside of your car could very easily reach 115 degrees or higher. If its left in the sun and plugged in, that is even worse.

Frankly, it should be common sense to not leave your phone in a locked car on a warm day. It says it plain as day in your owners manual as well, including warnings about the exact thing that happened with your phone. Its unfortunate, but Google isn't being unreasonable.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
I live in FL and I wouldn't leave it in a car for 5 mins day or night, it's just too darn hot here. I actually have a thermometer sit in my console, on an average day it reads 145F when I get in the car. night time is not as hot but still too hot to leave stuff like that in a car. I would probably would have played dumb when I called them and not admitted it was even in a car, and never admit to a 3rd party charger.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463