09-22-2013 10:16 AM
52 123
tools
    Shortly after updating to 4.3 I noticed sustained battery drain, even with WiFi, Data and the screen switched off; it would drop 30% overnight.

To observe what exactly my phone was doing I got BetterBatteryStats, and I got extremely fluctuating results with my N4 sometimes deep sleeping and at other times remaining awake, in spite of there being no apps running.

Ever the experimenter, I tried Deep Sleep Battery Saver and, at first, it seemed that the problem had vanished, BBS showed my phone deep sleeping (for experimentation I set DSBS to Slumberer, the maximum setting) but then after a day of using the app, my N4's insomnia returned with the phone staying awake for no reason.

What is wrong? The only real wakelock is NIpCollectorWakeLock, but that only shows a wakelock time of 52 min whereas my phone's been awake for an excess of 8 hours...

How can I forcefully induce my N4 to deep sleep? Right now I'm not concerned about missing real time updates etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    jerrykur likes this.
    08-16-2013 08:48 AM
    Disable all location services and see if that solves your problem.
    08-16-2013 10:01 AM
    Disable all location services and see if that solves your problem.
    Thanks for your answer, I've disabled everything under Location Access. I've attached a screenshot before I put the phone aside for the night, the battery is fully charged and DSBS is running on the maximum setting...
    Nexus 4 not Deep Sleeping (No Apparent Wakelocks? Android 4.3 update)-1376671844296.jpg
    Sent from my Nexus 4
    08-16-2013 11:52 AM
    Just fyi, I found there are two places to disable location services to avoid those wakelocks:

1. In settings/location access
    2. There is also a location setting in the Google Settings app
    08-16-2013 11:58 AM
    Wakelock Detector https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...kelockdetector will tell you exactly what is waking your phone / keeping it awake.

What I found is that 4.3 enabled (well, I am blaming it on 4.3 because I am sure it was off before) the "News & Weather" app which was constantly waking the phone to download updates.
    08-16-2013 12:52 PM
    Open the "battery" in settings.
    click on the top battery consumers (not the screen though).
    Usually it shows wake up time.
    08-16-2013 02:17 PM
    Thanks guys,

Nexus 4 not Deep Sleeping (No Apparent Wakelocks? Android 4.3 update)-1376699740766.jpg

as you can see my N4 did deep sleep for the greater part of the night, dropping 5%. Using Wakelock Detector I got the following results

Nexus 4 not Deep Sleeping (No Apparent Wakelocks? Android 4.3 update)-1376699887573.jpg

I really have no way of knowing if the results I'm getting are because I disabled Location Services (only the WiFi bit was checked) or if it's just another fluctuation in deep sleep behavior. I'll try it for another night and see what happens....
    Sent from my Nexus 4
    mr_nobody likes this.
    08-16-2013 07:41 PM
    Right, so here are the before and after screenshots of night 2:

Nexus 4 not Deep Sleeping (No Apparent Wakelocks? Android 4.3 update)-1376804315295.jpg

Nexus 4 not Deep Sleeping (No Apparent Wakelocks? Android 4.3 update)-1376804339083.jpg

As you can see the erratic sleeping pattern has returned

Suggestions anyone?
    08-18-2013 12:40 AM
    Once again, install the free app Wake Lock Detector so that you can see what specific apps are waking your phone/keeping it awake.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...detector&hl=en
    08-18-2013 07:09 AM
    And also post the stock battery page which show which apps are using battery. If android os is high up the list, possibly a reboot will stop its antics...
    08-18-2013 09:07 AM
    Location services and other Google toys (like current, etc) wake it up a lot. I had to disable a lot of them. Also, restricting background data do some apps helps a lot.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    08-18-2013 01:18 PM
    So for example I left my phone off for 2 - 3 minutes and I noticed that afterward, I'd get 30% of the time NOT in deep sleep and idling at 384 mhz.

Turning off sync I got about 10-15% awake time. Better.

Location reporting is off, but I don't see how the phone doesnt idle. The thing that no one is really addressing in the OP's post # 7 (http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...ml#post3001949) is that the phone wakelocks for 35 minutes, and 7.8% is much better than I saw, but if you add up the individual wakelocks in Wakelock Detector, it does NOT add up to 35 minutes. I've had trouble on my side figuring out what keeps my phone awake because WLD only shows part of the picture.
    08-20-2013 01:30 AM
    So for example I left my phone off for 2 - 3 minutes and I noticed that afterward, I'd get 30% of the time NOT in deep sleep and idling at 384 mhz.

Turning off sync I got about 10-15% awake time. Better.

Location reporting is off, but I don't see how the phone doesnt idle. The thing that no one is really addressing in the OP's post # 7 (http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...ml#post3001949) is that the phone wakelocks for 35 minutes, and 7.8% is much better than I saw, but if you add up the individual wakelocks in Wakelock Detector, it does NOT add up to 35 minutes. I've had trouble on my side figuring out what keeps my phone awake because WLD only shows part of the picture.
    Thank you! That is exactly the problem I'm trying to figure out, my phone isn't deep sleeping but there are no apparent wakelocks...

However, after disabling Location Services I did get 2 nights of continuous deep slumber, of course I'd have no idea if it's just another change in behavior...

If anybody has a permanent solution, it would be greatly appreciated!
    08-20-2013 02:39 AM
    Big number of wakelocks also plays crucial role, it adds up to the total time IMHO

Could you also check for Kernel and Screen wakelocks ?
    08-21-2013 11:58 AM
    Once again, install the free app Wake Lock Detector so that you can see what specific apps are waking your phone/keeping it awake.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...detector&hl=en
    Wakelock detector doesn't do a thing when there's nothing causing a wake lock. The issue is literally that the OS will not allow sleep to occur, not that its waking up.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    gusar2000 likes this.
    08-21-2013 08:12 PM
    To OP: do you have the Engadget app installed? Mine kept my phone awake for almost 3 hours today. I'm not sure what caused the other 7 hours of no sleep, but I uninstalled everything I downloaded since the problem started so we'll see if that makes a difference.

08-21-2013 08:25 PM
    To OP: do you have the Engadget app installed? Mine kept my phone awake for almost 3 hours today. I'm not sure what caused the other 7 hours of no sleep, but I uninstalled everything I downloaded since the problem started so we'll see if that makes a difference.

No I don't, as far as I can see there are no third party apps keeping my device awake, instead, there's something wrong with the core software that doesn't put my N4 to deep sleep...

Sent from my Nexus 4
    08-22-2013 08:45 AM
    I'm having the same issue with my S4 running a 4.3 Google Edition Rom. Checked all google apps to make sure they aren't reporting, but the wake lock still shows in better battery stats.
    08-22-2013 01:19 PM
    No I don't, as far as I can see there are no third party apps keeping my device awake, instead, there's something wrong with the core software that doesn't put my N4 to deep sleep...

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Mine seems to have been fixed by uninstalling UCCW, skins for it, and some icon packs. Been off charger for four hours so far and just 25 minutes of awake time.

08-22-2013 02:18 PM
    If you're using a wireless charger there is a bug keeping the powermanagerservice.wirelesschargerdetector wake lock active for hours

Posted via Android Central App on my Nexus 4
    08-22-2013 03:29 PM
    If you're using a wireless charger there is a bug keeping the powermanagerservice.wirelesschargerdetector wake lock active for hours

You mean while it's on the charger? If it's on the charger, why does it matter if it's awake or asleep?
    08-22-2013 04:46 PM
    Mine seems to have been fixed by uninstalling UCCW, skins for it, and some icon packs. Been off charger for four hours so far and just 25 minutes of awake time.

Okay, I do use UCCW but it's been sleeping fine even with the app running, the thing is, as I've mentioned, I get fluctuating sleep patterns...sometimes it'll stay awake for no reason at other times it'll sleep like normal...

I'm aware of the wireless charging wakelock but I don't use a wireless charger...
    08-23-2013 09:21 AM
    Okay, I do use UCCW but it's been sleeping fine even with the app running, the thing is, as I've mentioned, I get fluctuating sleep patterns...sometimes it'll stay awake for no reason at other times it'll sleep like normal...

I'm aware of the wireless charging wakelock but I don't use a wireless charger...
    Odd. Mine has been fixed for two days after completely uninstalling uccw. Maybe a 4.3 bug with one of the skins I had?

08-23-2013 03:16 PM
    Tearing my hair out! After the update my battery life went from 18 hours to 30. Losing nothing sleeping. After three days, I wake up to find battery low with both Google services and media server the culprits. I can't work out what's causing this.stock ROM no apps. I do factory reset and again it's great for three days? All I do is browse, read Google book and listen to Google music.
    I have noticed when it wakes up the signal icons stay grey for a few seconds. When it's playing up they are already blue.
    All settings default with Google now on.
    First three days standby uses nothing. After three days it stops sleeping.
    08-24-2013 11:32 PM
    Tearing my hair out! After the update my battery life went from 18 hours to 30. Losing nothing sleeping. After three days, I wake up to find battery low with both Google services and media server the culprits. I can't work out what's causing this.stock ROM no apps. I do factory reset and again it's great for three days? All I do is browse, read Google book and listen to Google music.
    I have noticed when it wakes up the signal icons stay grey for a few seconds. When it's playing up they are already blue.
    All settings default with Google now on.
    First three days standby uses nothing. After three days it stops sleeping.
    I just reboot my phone at night when it goes on the charger. That has made the standby time stay very good. But if I don't reboot my phone daily, something will start to cause the battery to drain with no apparent wake locks. Oh well...guess the daily reboot will do for now.
    Krolt likes this.
    08-25-2013 11:09 AM
52 123