Nexus 4 antenna issue

Andy Bell

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Since receiving the 4.3 update and moving to an area where the signal isn't as good I appear to be having antenna issues.

Basically the new house I'm in isn't the best for signal, there are a few places I can get reception but it's not the best. I have noticed that the way I hold my phone can drastically affect the signal, if I grasp the phone round the bottom with my hand cupped round the back I see the signal drop almost immediately, then if I change and hold it with my middle finger at the top and thumb at the bottom so I'm not really covering the back the signal returns.

This only seems to have been happening since the 4.3 update, I initially thought it was down to the poor signal in my house but I have noticed it at work where the reception is good.

just wondering if anyone else had noticed the same problem?

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I've had no reception issues since the update. I've heard of some people having a weaker wifi, but not weaker cell reception.

akkicasanova

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I have had the same problem. Since the upgrade to 4.3 my signal automatically goes off. This issue has come up only since upgrade to 4.3. Please tell me if you found a solution.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I have a solution, but you need to be rooted/have a custom recovery. Just flash down the modem to the one for 4.2.2. There, issue resolved (95% positive). For you guys that aren't rooted, you're stuck waiting for an update.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
If holding your phone a certain way impacts cellular reception does that mean that phone cases can negatively impact your phone's reception as well?

Andy Bell

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
OK,

So I installed the app and the results are:

Holding the phone with the thumb at the bottom and ring finger at the top (get the best signal this way)
-113dBm
-109dBm
-107dBm

Clasping the phone with my hand cupped round the bottom/back
-95 dBm
-93 dBm

I don't really know how much difference this makes really but the way you hold the phone definitely affects the signal.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I've been around those numbers indoors since launch. Fwiw the radio is located at the bottom left which is why it drops when you palm it. I don't get drops or any of those issues some people were reporting after 4.3 prior to the recent patch to fix it though

Posted via Android Central App

Orane Cole

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I just received the 4.4. update and still experiencing the signal loss issue.
This issue has been there since i got the 4.3 update as is the case with everybody else.

I would really appreciate a fix for this as the work around i have employed is really annoying and makes the use of my Nexus 4 device counter intuitive.

I really was looking forward to this 4.4. update just to be faced with the same bug.

Someone please help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome