Nexus 4 issues

James Casey1

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Ok so I'm experiencing a few issues with my new Nexus 4, and was wondering if anyone could help.

Firstly, I'm by no means a tech genius, and after a brief skim through this forum, some of the jargon is completely lost upon me, so laymen's terms answers would be fantastic.

My first issue is that for the past 20-24 hours, my phone has not been getting any signal. I've tried turning it off and on, leaving it off for a few hours etc, all to no avail. Mobile internet still seems to work, but no signal for phone calls or texts.

My other issue is that I am unable to update to Version 4.3 of android. I'm currently on 4.2.2, and when I search for updates it says I'm up to date, even though I know this isn't the case.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing these problems? I would be eternally grateful for any assistance.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried rebooting? Press and hold the power button for a few seconds until the menu pops up and then choose the Power Off option. After the phone has shut down, press and hold the power button again for about 5 seconds until you feel the haptic feedback then release the power button. The phone will reboot.

If still no signal, go to Settings -> About phone -> Status. What is shown for Network, Signal strength, Mobil network type, and Service state?

Updates come when they come; you may have to wait several days...

James Casey1

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I tried that several times, no success.

In settings, the data reads as follows:

Network - o2
Signal Strength - -89 dBm 12 asu
Mobile Network Type - GPRS1
Service State - Out of service

I've checked with o2, no issues with service, plus the guy I live with is also on o2 and his signal is fine.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Is it safe to assume that you have not installed any battery saving apps, etc?

Is your phone rooted? Have you installed a custom rom? If so, which?

James Casey1

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
It is indeed safe to assume this.

I've no idea what either of those things mean I'm afraid, so chances are it is not rooted and there is no custom rom. As I said, most of the jargon is lost upon me.

What confuses me is that mobile data still works, but signal doesn't.

Bajanmonkey

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
If your roommate has O2 also, try swapping Sim cards and see if that has any effect. That will at least eliminate the Sim card as a potential problem.

Posted via Android Central App

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Is that really mobile data that is working, or do you have a working WiFi connection when at home/work.

Also, to be clear, you have no phone signal anywhere, is that correct? Not at home, not out and about?

Can you visit an O2 store and ask for a replacement sim card?

James Casey1

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I've tried swapping the sim's, mine works in his, his doesn't work in mine, so it's definitely the phone. And I have only tried walking about 5 mins from the house, with no joy, and whilst I was out, not connected to any wifi, I was able to receive messages on whatsapp, as well as send them, so that could have only been via mobile internet, yes?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Open the Phone app and dial *#*#4636#*#*

A menu will appear; tap on Phone Info. Scroll down to the area just above the buttons and check to see if the dropdown is set to "WCDMA preferred" - if it isn't please change it.

I can't think of anything else other than a hardware failure.

James Casey1

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it is set to that. Some of the data above confuses me though. It says;

GSM service - Emergency calls only
GPRS service - disconnected
Message Waiting - False
Call Redirect - False

Are any of these an issue? Or has the phone just broken on me? I only bought it a week ago, although it was second hand.

jose3456

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
If you want to update to 4.3 go to settings and then press on apps once you're there slide over two times to all and then scroll down till you find Google services framework and then press on that and then once you're in press clear data and then press force to stop and after that check for an update but be shore to have you're phone over 90% charged

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

James Casey1

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Well, that's the update done, thanks Jose! Still no joy on the signal front though sadly. and returning it isn't an option as I bought it whilst on holiday in Thailand. It's authentic, I know that for sure, as I checked the serial number, but I think they may have sold me a duffer. It worked perfectly for 2 weeks though.

One of my mates said the signal gets blocked if it's a stolen phone, but surely it would do more than just block the signal if that were the case, right? At the very least, mobile internet would also be blocked.

James Casey1

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Carrier is o2, and I have tried a full system restore, to factory settings. Nothing. I think the receptor must be broken. Gonna have to go get it looked at I guess.

ktownsisa

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus 4 sometimes types one word twice. I would be of course typing one word, then it'll just pop up again & it just seems really frustrating. Especially since I'm always texting. Also, I dropped it the other day. Went for a walk, wearing sweatpants, & it slid out my pocket & down the sidewalk. A crack on the top right corner & a crack at both sides of the bottom, & a crack straight across the back. Funny thing is, the same day I was looking for a case because of how slippery & fragile the Nexus is. When it dropped, half of the screen now does not work. The top half. So now I can't even access my phone because my pattern password requires the top part of the screen as well. I can't even turn it off because the "Power Off" option is more to the top of the screen, where I can't use it. So there's nothing I can do with the phone. I also tried taking the Sim Card out just so that nothing will happen to that but obviously that was foolish because i tried placing it back in & now my phones not even reading my Sim card. I'm with Virgin. Now, if I just get the screen replaced, is there a possibility that my issue would be solved? Would the dysfunctional half start working again? Right now, I'm phoneless. I don't wanna replace the WHOLE phone because I have so much stuff I'd wanna keep on there. But, will replacing the screen fix my problem? Or did something move inside of the phone when it hit the ground causing the top grid not to be recognizable anymore? In need of great advice. Thank you - Isa

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2