N4 with AT&T

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I have the unlimited text and data family plan, and would like to get an N4 to replace my SGSIII. If i just swap out the sim card, would everything work the same(i already know about the 4G LTE)? Also, unless i told them, would AT&T know that i have changed phones? Thanks for any replies.:)

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I have the unlimited text and data family plan, and would like to get an N4 to replace my SGSIII. If i just swap out the sim card, would everything work the same(i already know about the 4G LTE)? Also, unless i told them, would AT&T know that i have changed phones? Thanks for any replies.:)

Yes everything will work the same. You might have to manually create the correct APN though. I'm not familiar with AT&T as I only use their MVNOs. And if AT&T knows you switched phones, they won't care.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes everything will work the same. You might have to manually create the correct APN though. I'm not familiar with AT&T as I only use their MVNOs. And if AT&T knows you switched phones, they won't care.

Thanks for the quick reply. Don't know anything about APN's, but i guess that i'll figure it out. I'd rather wait for the N5, but don't know when it's coming out.:)

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Just put the same APN that is in your S3 right now. It will work fine although you will get HSPA+ for data not LTE. ATT will know you changed phones but no big deal.

If you can wait until Halloween regarding the N5, it may be worth your while. It is rumored to have LTE.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Just put the same APN that is in your S3 right now. It will work fine although you will get HSPA+ for data not LTE. ATT will know you changed phones but no big deal.

If you can wait until Halloween regarding the N5, it may be worth your while. It is rumored to have LTE.

I believe that my contract is up in Apr.2014. Maybe it's worth waiting for.:)

grumpycompuprof

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Visual voicemail is another little issue. ATT does not support it on the N4, but you can easily route them to Google voice. There is a nice writeup online about it. Just Google it. Worked for me. I'm enjoying my N4 quite nicely.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

rexbaumgartner

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I am on att and when my phone arrived I called customer support and gave them the new IMEI number so all aspects of data would work fine. Took 5 minutes. Then your phone will work seamlessly with att.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
The only reason at&t would need any given IMEI is if they have to provision the correct DATA plan and even that is not required if you speak to right employee.

If you have a 4G (hspa+ or LTE) DATA plan than simply inserting in your current Sim should do the trick, the one caveat is if for some reason the SIM was not provisioned properly or your Nexus 4 did not receive the APN info correctly.

Dan

Posted via Android Central App

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Bought an N4 over the weekend to play around with. Couldn't resist after the price drop. Since I have the SGS3, it should be as easy as inserting the sim and changing the APN. Can't wait.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
This is not true. ATT visual voice mail is supported on the N4. I used it on my N4 and currently use it in my S4 GPe on ATT.

If you were on an LTE plan when getting the N4.

Sent from my bada$$ GT-I9505G

Last edited:

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Bought an N4 over the weekend to play around with. Couldn't resist after the price drop. Since I have the SGS3, it should be as easy as inserting the sim and changing the APN. Can't wait.

Let me know how that works out for you. I may be making the same move.:)

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Visual voicemail is another little issue. ATT does not support it on the N4, but you can easily route them to Google voice. There is a nice writeup online about it. Just Google it. Worked for me. I'm enjoying my N4 quite nicely.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

Then reason for this is AT&T only supports visual voicemail on it's LTE plans. If one can convince or trick AT&T into putting them on a LTE data plan, visual voicemail will work fine on the N4.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

FunkMasterJoe

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. Just ordered the 16gb N4. I will be using the micro sim from my S3, which I no longer have, but the SIM card is still active and what not. Basically, just wanting to know if I just pop my previous S3 sim in, what should I need to change the apn to? I've read so many different things, some say you don't need to, some say you do. Just wanted to see what you guys think. Thanks I'm advance.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. Just ordered the 16gb N4. I will be using the micro sim from my S3, which I no longer have, but the SIM card is still active and what not. Basically, just wanting to know if I just pop my previous S3 sim in, what should I need to change the apn to? I've read so many different things, some say you don't need to, some say you do. Just wanted to see what you guys think. Thanks I'm advance.

Should work fine once you pop you SIM in. If not the APN is ATT's phone APN which is all over the web and you should have not issues finding.

Sent from my bada$$ GT-I9505G

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site

The phone will recognize the sim as an AT&T sim and auto populate the proper apn(s) for you. When I first bought my N4 it populated a slower 3G apn, so I had to change it for HSPA. After the recent update to 4.3, it auto populated the two apn that I typically use, just slightly different.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

I'm under the impression that the N4 doesn't have an external SD card. I keep about 12gbs. of music and pictures on the external SD card of my SGSIII. Will i still have enough room for roms and stuff? I would probably want to root the N4 soon after i got it.:confused:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm under the impression that the N4 doesn't have an external SD card. I keep about 12gbs. of music and pictures on the external SD card of my SGSIII. Will i still have enough room for roms and stuff? I would probably want to root the N4 soon after i got it.:confused:

Very tight...No ext SD card and about 12.5 GB of usable space as I recall. Rooting will not help the storage space issue. Not sure how you feel about the cloud and google play music. Google + can auto upload pics and google play music will hold like 20,000 songs and you can transfer from itunes if needed. I did not like those options which is one reason I went for the S4 google play edition to hold pics and music on the ext SD card.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Very tight...No ext SD card and about 12.5 GB of usable space as I recall. Rooting will not help the storage space issue. Not sure how you feel about the cloud and google play music. Google + can auto upload pics and google play music will hold like 20,000 songs and you can transfer from itunes if needed. I did not like those options which is one reason I went for the S4 google play edition to hold pics and music on the ext SD card.

O.K., i see what you mean. All my music is on the ext. sd card, and i play it through the Apollo app. Maybe the N5 will have a 32gb option. I don't use Google Play Music as i want all my songs right on the phone. I don't trust "the cloud" either. I guess that i'm waiting for the next nexus.:p
Thanks for the feedback.:)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie