Moving from IOS World, New To Android, Voice to Text Question

Leon Stevens

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Iphone has a Microphone Key on the Keyboard, that allows for Voice-To-Text input regardless of the application you are in. Is there similar functionality available on the Nexus 4? TIA!

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes. It's built into the default Google Keyboard, and most popular third party keyboards (Swiftkey, Swype).

Leon Stevens

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks very much for that! Is the Voice-To-Tect relatively accurate (good enough for sending voice messages, short emails, etc. "on the go")?

Also, one other Q. I use a Data Only Plan, and use Skype Out as my Phone. Is there any way in Android to make it so that Skype becomes my default Phone App if a program, etc. wants to invoke the Phone?

festinator

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes the voice to text is very accurate. And the answer to the second question should also be yes. If you tap a contact and touch call, you'll be given the option to use the stock dialer or Skype, then you should also be able to set one as default as well.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
The voice to text transcription has been at least as accurate as Siri's dictation in my experience (probably a bit better, but it's hard to judge. They both seemed to work well for me), but a lot faster.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Its also support offline Voice-To-Text and is very accurate. but if you are connected to data its much more accurate.

Google is working on updatable Voice-To-Text engine(offline) so it will only get better

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC