[Solved] Nexus 4 won't turn on or charge

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Solved - Nexus 4 Won't Turn On or Charge

However since I bought it in July 2013 it has locked up on me 5 times, three of which were due to drained battery and the other two at 50% or greater charge.

Do you have Android 4.3 installed? I am wondering if the 4.3 update helped to contribute to these problems.

I have tried the following to fix any potential battery drain issues:

- Performed a factory reset
- Turned off location services when I'm not using a navigation app
- Disabled Google Currents
- Uninstalled Facebook

So far my Nexus 4 seems fine, and I haven't had the need to bring it out of deep hibernation mode lately. Hopefully you'll be able to revive yours. If you do, perhaps you can try what I did to keep your Nexus 4 in working order.

Bibibububobo

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

Many thanks, the trick worked for me!

My french Nexus 4 was shut down and plugged in before sleep, at about 25% battery. This morning, it was the same issue as everyone: Nexus 4 not powering on and no charging icon. Holding power 60sec while unplugged, then pluging in the cable showed the red light. Holding again the power button showed it charging and revealed that the battery was drained overnight!

mabs013

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

Thursday 17th October 2013

Just joined this forum to say:-
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.
Yes a bit fiddly, yes tried a few times, yes it did work.

Gaurav Bansal

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

Thanks a lot for the solution.
It helped me and saved a lot of stress.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks a lot for the solution.
It helped me and saved a lot of stress.

bill hughes2

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site

I have the same problem. Phone suddenly turned off after battery 0% warning and won't charge or turn on. Holding down buttons as suggested does not work, no LED just a ticking noise. Before this phone worked perfectly, has had no drops or accidents, just stopped working for no reason. Tried overnight charge - no effect.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site

I have the same problem. Phone suddenly turned off after battery 0% warning and won't charge or turn on. Holding down buttons as suggested does not work, no LED just a ticking noise. Before this phone worked perfectly, has had no drops or accidents, just stopped working for no reason. Tried overnight charge - no effect.

In this case, you may need to send in your Nexus 4 to Google for a warranty repair. Since holding down the buttons and inserting the USB cable didn't work, your problem may be unrelated to the deep hibernation mode. Did you update to 4.3 before this problem occurred?

pfragome

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

Worked like a charm, thank you so much! I thought my phone was 'pooched'. I left it plugged in for a couple of hours and it would not turn on and I was starting to panic. So, like many others I went to the Internet for answers....found your solution, and it worked perfectly. Like some others there was no green android menu, but rather a blinking red light. When it powered up my batter showed 99% complete and it now seems to be working fine. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

bladecl

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site

Join as a member of this forum to say "thanks a lot."

I encountered this problem few minutes ago. I thought I could have bricked my phone and had to send it to warranty. I tried to save it according to these steps, and then Everything went back.
I didn't remove the case and just did the step 2 and step 3. It worked perfectly. I saw the green screen and push power key to start it .

Thanks again.

Andy Heavenridge

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

I was terrified I had lost my phone ! This worked perfectly, thanks for posting. Almost sent it in for a replacement. I got this problem after charging my phone with my computer, it got super hot & wouldn't turn on.

Haemin Lee

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

I tried doing that multiple times. The green screen thingy did pop up but after that, it became blank and started the red flashing light. My nexus was not charging for some reason. Also, I had a simular problem and I had o replace the battery. Please help if possible.

Oded Fisher

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site

Thanks a lot
Just wanted to tell you your tip worked perfectly

After a couple of tries (without taking the lid off) pressing the power button and the volume button for 15 seconds and then plugging in the charger all of a sudden i got a red flashing light and after a few seconds the screen displayed the battery being charged

Regards,

Oded fisher

Sid Woof

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site

Guys,

I water damaged my Nexus 4 yesterday. Got it cleaned up with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol, no damage to the motherboard (logic board) was found. The
guy who helped with the the attempted repair said that the phone is fine, but it needs a new battery. The phone is blinking RED while on USB/Wall
charge, which I hear, is a good sign.

So, I tried the 15 second Volume Down + Power button combo to get my phone back to life. I reach the bootloader with the "START" option in
GREEN font, but then, within a span of 1/2 of second, it says, "RESTART BOOTLOADER" or something akin to that in DARK PINK font and
it goes back to RED blinking LED again.

Is the battery dead and do I need a replacement?

I've tried this multiple times, both with AC charger and USB and I am doing exactly as you guys advised. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Thanks!!!!

sbspub

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

I tried it multiple times (pressing power key + volume down key and plugging phone to power socket), still my phone is showing blank screen. Can somebody help me?:(

corolla90

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

My N4 battery went to zero a few days ago and when plugged in, I have a solid red LED light. I've tried everything and nada works. I can't even get to the bootloader screen. Sucker just won't turn on. I've already initiated a warranty exchange.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

RippedRyan

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site

after it starts blinking let go then click the volume down and power button, that's what just worked for me

Julie T

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site

A very big thank you for all the help given on this forum I didn't have much time to take the back off before work so I tried the power and volume button and help for 15 seconds and that rebooted it I did have a heart in mouth moment when it wouldn't switch on I'm thinking its only a few months old
I was very close to taking it in to the repair shop!:)

All seem to be well with it

THANK YOU