[Solved] Nexus 4 won't turn on or charge

ballzac

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
has anyone figured out what actually causes this to happen? its happened like 3 times to me ever but recently it did it 2 times. I did notice a 'static-y' sound once right before it turned off the other day but curious if anyone know the underlying cause, is it hardware or software?

Posted via Android Central App

jkpriyadarshini

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks a bunch! You almost saved me a heart attack!!! ;) I didn't have the courage to tell my dh that my phone wont switch on! This is my first smart phone & i dare not screw it up! Mine had charge last time i saw it on. after like..half an hour, it wont on. Googling got me to this page n for me it worked the first time. I pressed the combinations for like 10 secs..n was about to give up when the Google appeared on the screen!!! What a relief!

PS: Does anyone know why this happens even though ur phone has charge ? Does any recently installed app make this happen ?

Thanks again!

jimmyb89

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Solved - Nexus 4 Won't Turn On or Charge

Thanks soo much for this thread :D I thought mine was a goner because nothing would work but i had to hold down the buttons for like 60 seconds then plug the charger in. I used my Blackberry Playbook charger to do it (its much higher voltage and should really be used with phones but thought maybe thatll help :)

Brianna Seams

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site

exactly right after I read you post, and after fiddiling with the volume and power button, i took my charger out of my phone and boom. the screen lit up saying it was charging. I don't know what it was but after I read this post my phone came back to lyfe, i thank you for your magic lmao

glakus

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Recently fixed my broken screen by ordering a Screen/LCD/frame assembly. Unfortunately after reassembling my N4, It wouldn't turn on and upon plugging it in I got the flashing Red light which lead me here.

Something happened when I took the back off, the buttons don't feel like I'm pressing them anymore - but I suppose I am because I am getting some sort of progress after following the steps provided in the first post. After holding the buttons down for 15 seconds and plugging the phone in, the red light will stop blinking and I get a battery charging screen. That screen goes through it's animation one or two times the the screen goes black and I can't power up nor do I see anything. Rinse, repeat, same result.

Is it possible I screwed up the battery from (because some engineer thought it would be a brilliant idea to superglue the battery in) crushing it just to pry the battery out? I have a new battery on order but I would like to use my phone. Has anyone else had similar problems?

Steve Pownall

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site

Hi Scott7217, many, many thanks for posting this, very much appreciated. Following your help, my N4 has finally woke up from its deep slumber and is charging again - methinks I owe you a beer, or two :)) Cheers.

Kevin Bracegirdle

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
To anybody who can't get their N4 to power up using the suggested method in this thread.

If you remove the back cover and disconnect and then reconnect the battery your N4 should spring back to life.
The tools required are a T5 Torx screwdriver
BRAND NEW TORX T5 SCREWDRIVER 6500C LCD FASCIA OPENER | eBay
also a small philips head screwdriver that you can find in a set of jewellers screwdrivers.
11pce Precision Screwdriver Micro Mini Set Laptop Mobile Glasses Jewellers Watch | eBay

Its simple and straightforward to do...the plastic cover comes of with a little gentle persuasion.
I have just completed the process after having a completely dead phone and it worked 100% for me.
Worth a try if you're tired of holding buttons down for hours on end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oJi3kIy8gU

This video will help

Eanan

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I have this issue after plugging in the mciro usb cable to charge it off my laptop yesterday. Ive tried everything that the OP said, but all that happens when I hold the vol down and power button and insert the power cable, is that the red LED light just flashes. When I let go of the power button the LED disappears. Dont know if the phone is completely bricked now.

Calder Munroe

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I have this issue after plugging in the mciro usb cable to charge it off my laptop yesterday. Ive tried everything that the OP said, but all that happens when I hold the vol down and power button and insert the power cable, is that the red LED light just flashes. When I let go of the power button the LED disappears. Dont know if the phone is completely bricked now.
i just hit.the power.buttoo make.sure.u hold he power and volume in for atlest 30 seconnds then.release and.hit power button

Eliza Sevilla

May 6, 2014
Visit site
My LG Nexus 4 is just keep on charging and still power off everytime i turn it on.

last week my nexus 4 experienced the what they call "red light of death" according to videos on youtube. there is only red led flashing everytime i plug it. and i cant turn it on. i bring it twice to the repairshop. both of them cannot fix it. but now when i try to charge it there is no more red led flashing. and it is already charging. i was waiting for it to get fully charged. after 2 hours charging i tried to turn it on. then i was able to turn it on already. i thought everything is already ok. but after turning it on it says power off. and i let it charge more and i tried turning it on. still the same. and now it is already 17 hours charging. and still everytime i turn it on it says power off. does anyone experienced this? what did you do? help please? i also tried the instruction that scott posted here. i hold the power button and the volume down and it worked. but when it finally turned on still power off. what can i do?

Last edited:

Dipen Arya

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Oh my God! That was absolute genius! Thank you so much for that useful tip. I thought I was going to have to spend a lot of money to get it fixed.
In my case too, the red light at the bottom started blinking and after that it started charging normally. I pressed the power button and its now working fine!
Thanks again!

Eliza Sevilla

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Scott, please help me. i am very frustrated. i dont know what more to do with my nexus 4. i already did the instructions you posted here. it worked and from red led flashing my phone started to charge. but i have been already charging it for more than 24 hours now. and still everytime i turn it on, after the "google" appear, 4 colors and then the power off.. my phone is as good as not working. no matter how long i charge it, it is still the same. and it is plugged on the wall just what others suggest here. what can i do? please help me scott. do you know any solution?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power