Google Maps In Background

Leon Stevens

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm a recent iPhone convert. If you run Google Maps Directions in the background on the iPhone, a notification of an impending turn will come up over whatever App you're running in the foreground. On the N4, I get the voice, but no notification box comes up. Am I missing a setting somewhere? TIA

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
What app are you running in the foreground while driving? And where do you live so we can alert the police?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm a recent iPhone convert. If you run Google Maps Directions in the background on the iPhone, a notification of an impending turn will come up over whatever App you're running in the foreground. On the N4, I get the voice, but no notification box comes up. Am I missing a setting somewhere? TIA

Kinda pointless especially if your driving somewhere. Why do you need to look at the screen, just listen. Also, it sounds kinda annoying to always interrupt your current app with a pop up with every single turn or new direction.

Leon Stevens

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I know that you may question whether it's a good idea or not. However, I'm just trying to see the N4 has the same capabilities, as I can utilize these capabilities other ways as well.Google Maps itself gives both voice AND textual directions for each turn if you stay in the App. So, apparently, some find it useful.

I think I wasn't clear on my OP. Let me try again:

On iPhone, I do the following:

In the "Notification Center" (in "Settings"), I select Google Maps, and select "Alert Style" to be "Alerts" (which means you want alerts from the Google Maps App to be a Pop-up similar to a Text Message).

I then set up whatever Directions I need for my trip in Google Maps, then start directions. After that, I exit Google Maps, and go to whatever App I want. Now, while driving, when I am approaching a Google Maps "Turn by Turn" direction, it will pop up an alert that contains all the text of the turn I need to make on top of whatever application I'm running.

Any way to do that on N4?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza