Stay with Nexus or....?

adamspt2

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I got my Nexus 4 shortly after launch last year. I've really enjoyed the phone. I've enjoyed getting updates directly from Google though in that short period of time, I can't off the top of my head think of any significant user update that I've gotten outside of apps being updated. My only real issues with the phone have been with the battery and somewhat with the camera. The camera is more a side effect of hearing how wonderful the cameras are on all the latest and greatest phones, not necessarily from bad images I'm getting.

So anywho, this all leads to what phone to get next. I had actually decided to go out and get the HTC One but before I could get to the store got intrigued by the LG G2. Then there were rumors about a next possible Nexus. My general feeling is that the next Nexus will be a bump up compared to N4. I'm also thinking that most of the updates to Kit Kat are going to be back end kinds of things, partially because I can't figure out what new features they could even introduce for consumers that would appeal to me (except for adding SMS/MMS support to Hangouts!). That makes me lean towards going with the G2 - sounds like a great phone, good camera, nice battery. However, that phone will be much more (I'm assuming) than the next Nexus if Google stays close to its originally pricing.

I'm curious to hear what kinds of things other folk consider when figuring out their next phone. Are you completely loyal to Nexus? What features on a non-Nexus phone would entice you? Some have a sense that Nexus means faster updates, less on the 'cutting edge' features - do you agree? Does that impact your decision?

Regardless, it is a pretty good darn time to be looking for an Android phone.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I got my Nexus 4 shortly after launch last year. I've really enjoyed the phone. I've enjoyed getting updates directly from Google though in that short period of time, I can't off the top of my head think of any significant user update that I've gotten outside of apps being updated. My only real issues with the phone have been with the battery and somewhat with the camera. The camera is more a side effect of hearing how wonderful the cameras are on all the latest and greatest phones, not necessarily from bad images I'm getting.

So anywho, this all leads to what phone to get next. I had actually decided to go out and get the HTC One but before I could get to the store got intrigued by the LG G2. Then there were rumors about a next possible Nexus. My general feeling is that the next Nexus will be a bump up compared to N4. I'm also thinking that most of the updates to Kit Kat are going to be back end kinds of things, partially because I can't figure out what new features they could even introduce for consumers that would appeal to me (except for adding SMS/MMS support to Hangouts!). That makes me lean towards going with the G2 - sounds like a great phone, good camera, nice battery. However, that phone will be much more (I'm assuming) than the next Nexus if Google stays close to its originally pricing.

I'm curious to hear what kinds of things other folk consider when figuring out their next phone. Are you completely loyal to Nexus? What features on a non-Nexus phone would entice you? Some have a sense that Nexus means faster updates, less on the 'cutting edge' features - do you agree? Does that impact your decision?

Regardless, it is a pretty good darn time to be looking for an Android phone.

Well, first, 4.3 did a lot more behind the scenes changes than anything else. Also helped with the battery.

The LG G2 is an interesting phone. But, you would be subjected to carrier delayed updates. Meaning being behind by at least an update, and those updates coming in slow. Take the S3. That device isn't on 4.2 yet. It might skip to 4.3, but that has yet to be seen.

AS for me, I have had the S2 and S3. Right now, I am with Sprint, and hopefully the new Nexus can go on that network. If it does, I would get that phone.

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, first, 4.3 did a lot more behind the scenes changes than anything else. Also helped with the battery.

The LG G2 is an interesting phone. But, you would be subjected to carrier delayed updates. Meaning being behind by at least an update, and those updates coming in slow. Take the S3. That device isn't on 4.2 yet. It might skip to 4.3, but that has yet to be seen.

AS for me, I have had the S2 and S3. Right now, I am with Sprint, and hopefully the new Nexus can go on that network. If it does, I would get that phone.

I will never buy another phone where I am dependant on the carrier for updates. I'm sticking with unlocked Nexus.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I will never buy another phone where I am dependant on the carrier for updates. I'm sticking with unlocked Nexus.

Plus...

You can always change things by adding Apps that alter the UI/UX, but retain control by only changing what you want altered. Those skins get under my skin. However, I understand some want the feeling that their OS is a "deluxe" version and an OEM skin fits that bill for them by adding functionality they like and use.

Another factor is hardware... For the Nexus line there will almost certainly be some hardware downgrade from current flagship models in order to meet the price point Google wants to put on the device. I'm willing to accept that sacrifice, but there are some who will look at a $300 dollar savings vs a flagship model and then complain that the camera isn't as good, or the air gesture sensor is missing...

I guess the question is one of best value - vs - highest tech offering. Considering that I buy my phones off contract I go with best value. YMMV.

adamspt2

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Another factor is hardware... For the Nexus line there will almost certainly be some hardware downgrade from current flagship models in order to meet the price point Google wants to put on the device. I'm willing to accept that sacrifice, but there are some who will look at a $300 dollar savings vs a flagship model and then complain that the camera isn't as good, or the air gesture sensor is missing...

Yeah, that's really it for me as opposed to the UI/UX enhancements. The camera on the LG G2 looks pretty decent. And yeah, at that price for the current Nexus you do expect a bit less on the hardware side. I switched to T-Mobile not too long ago, so at least with that, I can see exactly what the G2 would cost me ($99 down and a monthly payment of around $20 added on to my bill). That is doable since my monthly bill is less than its ever been, but I'd still pay much more over the life of the phone than I would with the Nexus.

But seriously. I should have just stayed with the iPhone. Just watched their announcement. I could probably go three or four years before wanting a new phone with them. With Android, somebody is always releasing something new, different, better, faster, smaller, bigger. It's enough to make my head spin.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, that's really it for me as opposed to the UI/UX enhancements. The camera on the LG G2 looks pretty decent. And yeah, at that price for the current Nexus you do expect a bit less on the hardware side. I switched to T-Mobile not too long ago, so at least with that, I can see exactly what the G2 would cost me ($99 down and a monthly payment of around $20 added on to my bill). That is doable since my monthly bill is less than its ever been, but I'd still pay much more over the life of the phone than I would with the Nexus.

But seriously. I should have just stayed with the iPhone. Just watched their announcement. I could probably go three or four years before wanting a new phone with them. With Android, somebody is always releasing something new, different, better, faster, smaller, bigger. It's enough to make my head spin.

I think it is the same with the Nexus line. Not much has changed in the last year. The biggest upgrade was the build quality and finally a sexy looking nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I think it is the same with the Nexus line. Not much has changed in the last year. The biggest upgrade was the build quality and finally a sexy looking nexus.

I agree. Even if those rumored specs pan out, I don't see a real advantage to upgrading from my Nexus 4 right now. It does everything I want and need it to do. The quick updates are a bonus at this point, since Google has unhitched a lot of the gee-whiz factors from the OS and made them available to everyone else. You can't beat the price for an unlocked device, however. I don't think I could ever go back to something beholden to a single carrier or otherwise under their thumb. Give me a device I can own outright at a reasonable price and is mine to do with as I please*, and I'm sold. Right now, only the Nexus 4 fits that bill.

* That means unlocked/carrier agnostic, and with no strings attached to unlocking the bootloader. A phone whose warranty is voided simply because you want full control over it is BS. Yes, I'm looking at you, Motorola, HTC, and all the others.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't think Kit Kat is going to be doing back end kinds of things. That was what the last two updates of Jelly Bean 4.2 & 4.3. Google didn't build that new Kit Kat statue in the front of their HQ for a minor update. My network still has my LG phone on Ice Cream Sandwich so I am done with phones from the network providers that never update their OS. Network providers just want you to buy a new phone and lock in for two more years so they aren't going to waste their money passing on Android updates.

Sicily1918

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I will never buy another phone where I am dependent on the carrier for updates. I'm sticking with unlocked Nexus.
That's why I'll do the same or get a phone that CyanogenMod fully supports (e.g., I'd consider the HTC One non-GPE (for the carrier discount) as soon as a CM-stable build came out).

Of course, I got my N4 last week, so I'll be holding on to it for a very long time; I've a feeling it's going to be going strong even two years from now. If we can use what happened with quad-core computers as an indicator -- the fact that the hardware has so outpaced the software that the old Q6600 (Core 2 Quad) is still running strong 5 years later -- then there shouldn't be too much the N4 can't handle in the next few years; certainly the next 18 months.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
That's why I'll do the same or get a phone that CyanogenMod fully supports (e.g., I'd consider the HTC One non-GPE (for the carrier discount) as soon as a CM-stable build came out).

But is it ever really stable (not just CM but many other custom AOSP roms)? I did this w/my two previous Android phones, but it always seemed like something was buggy. This is what pushed me to an N4 months after I dismissed it for lacking LTE.

AbuYazeedUK

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a Nexus 4 and feel like a change too but every other phone I'm thinking of I can't find a reason to change from the N4, I want to stay stock android, I know I can put a ROM on the other phones but I don't see the point in losing certain features of touchwiz or sense. The only other phone I would get is the Moto X because it's close to vanilla android with a few enhancements. Come on Google release the Moto X in the UK!

Posted via Android Central App

mrvco

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm liking my n4 quite a bit. I've only had it for a couple months so I'm not close to being tired of it yet.

I'm out of contract w/ AT&T, but the iP5s was mostly underwhelming so I'll probably wait to see what the n5 offers before I even consider replacing my n4.

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=310666

Had a similar question. I just dumped my s3 for the n4. If I was willing to pay more, I'd have waited for the n5. Just don't have the money to wait anyway, so I just bought the n4.

I really don't like waiting for updates and all the crapware they put in the phone. The Nexus line is clean and simple, and I am enjoying that on bot the n7 and n4 now.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=310666

Had a similar question. I just dumped my s3 for the n4. If I was willing to pay more, I'd have waited for the n5. Just don't have the money to wait anyway, so I just bought the n4.

I really don't like waiting for updates and all the crapware they put in the phone. The Nexus line is clean and simple, and I am enjoying that on bot the n7 and n4 now.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Sounds familiar. :) I sold my GS3, got both N7 & N4, and I'll most likely get the N5.

Sicily1918

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
But is it ever really stable (not just CM but many other custom AOSP roms)? I did this w/my two previous Android phones, but it always seemed like something was buggy. This is what pushed me to an N4 months after I dismissed it for lacking LTE.
I gotta tell ya, after running CM 10.1 (.0, .1, and .2) on my T-Mo S2 for 3 months, I found it to be fantastic. I think it crashed once in all of that time (and that was mainly due to an app). I'm talking of uptimes of 500+ hours with no issues. Maybe I got lucky with the timing (10.1 was my first CM) and/or the build for that HW (SGH-T989) was dead on, but I felt the phone was more stable and usable than with the stock Sammy/T-mo ROM.

Of course, I only flashed the ROM and GAPPS -- no custom Kernel, no custom anything... ok, now I'm rambling... out! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol