09-22-2013 06:52 AM
52 123
tools
    Hi all, at the moment i have an iPhone 5, a couple of years ago i had a Samsung Galaxy but i suspect things have moved on since then, i am interested in HTC one and the Sony Xperia Z, i would welcome some opinions on these phones or any others, also i am a bit apprehensive on how i would find it with Android after two years with iPhone, thanks in advance......Sorry i seem to have posted in the wrong section.
    09-13-2013 07:20 AM
    Glad you're considering the switch. You're not going to get a lot of responses to your post - because there are already tons of posts on the HTC One, and not that many people have the Sony. Try checking out those specific forums here. Good luck!
    hawuiry likes this.
    09-13-2013 07:26 AM
    ok thank you.
    09-13-2013 07:33 AM
    Nexus 4
    09-13-2013 10:24 AM
    Nexus 4 - Biggest Pro is that software updates from Google will come before anyone else. When Kit Kat 5.0 is released, you will receive it 6 months before the HTC One. Photosphere is also a pro - if you are unaware, it allows you to take street view-esque 360 degree photos of your surroundings.
    If these things don't float your boat, I would go with the HTC One.
    09-13-2013 10:38 AM
    I was looking at the Nexus 4, seems a lot of phone for the money, certainly one to keep in mind.
    09-13-2013 10:41 AM
    I really fancied the Sony Xperia z but the thread on the back plate lifting off is off putting to say the least.
    09-13-2013 10:42 AM
    The $199 clearance sale would have been a great way to jump back into Android, but those sold out quickly.
    09-13-2013 10:45 AM
    I'd you can wait I'd go with the new Xperia z1. Im looking for the mini version of it tho. But I have the One right now

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app
    09-13-2013 10:46 AM
    Yes i wondered about the z1, hopefully it won't have the back plate problem, i don't use my phone for long periods,not that much that it gets hot anyway but i don't want to risk the z.
    09-13-2013 10:59 AM
    Yes i wondered about the z1, hopefully it won't have the back plate problem, i don't use my phone for long periods,not that much that it gets hot anyway but i don't want to risk the z.
    In the end tho, the z is probably a little "outdated" now but the top phones out now or soon, I think, is the z1, LG g2, s4 (s800 I think is coming) and stuff like the Oppo Find phones.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app
    09-14-2013 01:06 PM
    I had the same thought. But not with the HTC One but with the Note2. So I went with the Nexus4 and am happy with the purchase. Love the phone and to sniff into Android it was a good decision. Loving it and stock Android is amazing.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-14-2013 01:10 PM
    I think i'm getting the Galaxy S4 but i will look at others again before making the final decision, it's a really nice phone.
    09-14-2013 01:30 PM
    As a few have suggested, definitely consider the Nexus 4. Both Samsung and HTC (and truth be told, pretty much every other manufacturer) has an abysmal track record when it comes to updates. At best, you can expect one update, and it'll come months to a year or more after it's actual release - meaning it'll be outdated before you even get it.

Also, I've owned HTC's and Samsungs, and the overlays they put over Android are horrible. Years ago, Android needed the UI refinement they offered, but that's just not the case anymore. Now, they mostly just bogg down the OS.

And finally, the Samsungs I've owned and used have had horrible build quality. Removing the back on my Galaxy S would literally flex the entire phone. My HTC (Incredible 2) has held up extremely well over the years, and while the Nexus 4 is inherently more fragile because of it's glass back and edge-to-edge glass front, the build quality is also very high.

If you're coming from an iPhone, the Nexus 4 will give you a much better feel for Android than the others - better build quality, better performance, timely updates and at $250, far better value.
    09-14-2013 05:20 PM
    If you're coming from an iPhone, the Nexus 4 will give you a much better feel for Android than the others - better build quality, better performance, timely updates and at $250, far better value.
    Plus, the experience'll feel like the iPhone -- updates only come from the manufacturer and an OS with pretty much nothing in it except the basics.
    09-14-2013 05:38 PM
    Well I can tell you that I just switched to the GS4 from the iPhone 5.im a huge apple fan, but I wanted a change, a big change, like screen size. Lol. I did try out the GS3 before the iPhone 5 but I just wasn't feeling it at the time. This time I'm much more confident in Samsung & Android.

I highly recommend the GS4. I chose it for its ability to add the SD card. I also liked some of the features it offered over the other phones.

Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    09-14-2013 06:24 PM
    Thanks everyone, this morning i find I'm on the fence again, I'm going to give it all a lot more thought before i jump, i don't want to make the wrong decision, thank you for all the input, I'll update again soon.
    monkeyluis likes this.
    09-15-2013 02:04 AM
    seriously thought about the Nexus 4 but none of the shops in my area has one and i would rather look at one than get one on line.
    09-15-2013 08:39 AM
    Yea, I wanted to see one in person too, and it's unfortunate that it's not easy to do so. But literally every Samsung phone I've seen or owned have felt really cheap and plasticy, so it was a choice between an unknown but reportedly high build quality or a known low build quality.

I'm sure the GS4 is a nice phone, but over the past few Android phones I've owned, updates (or the lack thereof) have become a real sticking point for me. After the Nexus 4, I honestly don't think I'd ever buy another non-Nexus device.
    09-15-2013 10:43 AM
    From what i have read there is going to be Nexus 5 at some point, the problem is the longer i wait the less i will get for my iphone 5, back to the drawing board i guess.
    09-15-2013 10:52 AM
    To see the nexus 4 in person perhaps someone on craigslist.org might be selling it in your area. That's how I bought mine. Anyways, the phones you have in mind are good to consider and along with that I'd add the Moto X to consideration. It is smooth with minimal bloatware and will probably get timely updates considering Google owns Motorola now. I hope you find the right phone!

Posted via Android Central App
    09-19-2013 05:01 AM
    Thank you josuerios, i have been holding on until iOS 7 was released to give it a fair chance and i hate it it, i was expecting something much better than it is , it's awful, i think this is what will give me the push.
    09-19-2013 07:38 AM
    Thank you josuerios, i have been holding on until iOS 7 was released to give it a fair chance and i hate it it, i was expecting something much better than it is , it's awful, i think this is what will give me the push.
    have you considered Moto X?? nexus 4 is very good and i love my phone but X is lot better than S4 and One(HTC One is still lot better than S4)
    09-19-2013 10:53 AM
    have you considered Moto X?? nexus 4 is very good and i love my phone but X is lot better than S4 and One(HTC One is still lot better than S4)
    I have looked for the Moto X but theres nothing coming up for stores here (i'm in the UK) Nexus 4 sold out some time ago and i think shops are holding out for Nexus 5, the only Motorola phones coming up are the HD model and Razr i, are either of those worth considering being older phones?
    09-19-2013 12:29 PM
    It seems Moto X isn't available in the UK and on reflection the other two Moto's might be a little too old soooo... I am between two now HTC one and Samsung Galaxy s4, i can't decide so any help here would be great
    09-19-2013 12:59 PM
52 123