What is the best browser for the Nexus 4?

saintforlife

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Somebody told me to get AOSP browser for my phone. But I have no idea how to get it. Apparently it is much better than Chrome in terms of rendering, non-stutter while scrolling and less resource intensive, so it is better on the battery. Is that true? Is Chrome really not the best browser for the Nexus 4?

dakid2k6

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I should try ASOP. I have been using chrome and chrome beta, since the note 2. And also Maxthon browser. Now I'm also using firefox just to mess with. I usually play around with a few of them but always back to chrome.

Last edited:

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't care for the AOSP browser, I like a more feature rich one,but I really like Maxthon Browser, although atm there is a slight bug when opening a link from another application where it actually opens the last link you open and you have to back out and click the link again (their developers are aware of the issue and working on a fix), plus it gives you lots of "Chrome-like" features like tab and favorites sharing with the desktop browser.

I don't recommend it on lower end handsets, but on the Nexus 4 it is amazingly fast and smooth. Another good option is Boat Browser for any handset.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
It really comes down to personal preference, in my opinion. Yes, some may be more fluid than others. But at the end of the day, it's what works for you. Have you given the various browsers a try?

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Well if you want to cast content to your TV you can only do it using chrome from your phone or PC.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
AOSP browser was good when Chrome made it debut on Android beginning of this year.

but chrome has come a long way fixing a lot of issues. its extremely smooth. the only problem now is it uses a bit of battery but that was true with AOSP as well.

you should know that AOSP browser development is done so all you are getting is an old browser with no support

mth785

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Dolphin is the only browser I use on my android devices. A LastPass plug-in is required for my sanity.

Via my Nexus 4.

Tuco Ramirez

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
"best" is subjective. It's personal opinion. It's like asking who's Mother makes the best chocolate chip cookies. Oh, and by the way, my Mother makes the best chocolate chip cookies. :p

agp101

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
There is no best in my opinion. I have dolphin, Chrome, Firefox, and opera installed.

Chrome: overall good but lacks smooth scrolling and overall responsiveness and uses significantly more battery. It also doesn't have reader mode.

Opera: good overall responsiveness. Good page rendering. Crashes more often than others, love the ability to be able to use one handed. And the off road mode to save on data when needed or when I have bad reception or slow download speeds. Overall good.

Dolphin: overall less performant than the two above. Page rendering is slower and lacks elements on some webpages. Great for one handed use and has always been super smooth.

Firefox: the one I'm currently using as default. I tend to switch often, but I'm liking Firefox as my main. Page rendering and speed is good. Scrolling and performance is smooth and comparable to dolphin. Slight bugs but nothing too significant for my uses. It has a great reader mode. It's fantastic. Video playback could be better. Overall good browser.

In the end there's no best one for me though. TBH the BB10 browser is an overall VERY good browser. Has some deficiencies but overall it's I'd say the best default browser I'd use. Too bad BlackBerry itself just doesn't cut it for me anymore. And the fact that I have so much choice on android just makes things like this more insignificant.

Posted via Android Central App

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
There is no best in my opinion. I have dolphin, Chrome, Firefox, and opera installed.

Chrome: overall good but lacks smooth scrolling and overall responsiveness and uses significantly more battery. It also doesn't have reader mode.

Opera: good overall responsiveness. Good page rendering. Crashes more often than others, love the ability to be able to use one handed. And the off road mode to save on data when needed or when I have bad reception or slow download speeds. Overall good.

Dolphin: overall less performant than the two above. Page rendering is slower and lacks elements on some webpages. Great for one handed use and has always been super smooth.

Firefox: the one I'm currently using as default. I tend to switch often, but I'm liking Firefox as my main. Page rendering and speed is good. Scrolling and performance is smooth and comparable to dolphin. Slight bugs but nothing too significant for my uses. It has a great reader mode. It's fantastic. Video playback could be better. Overall good browser.

In the end there's no best one for me though. TBH the BB10 browser is an overall VERY good browser. Has some deficiencies but overall it's I'd say the best default browser I'd use. Too bad BlackBerry itself just doesn't cut it for me anymore. And the fact that I have so much choice on android just makes things like this more insignificant.

This.

from my Sony Xperia Tablet Z or XTZ or "Ecstasy"

sibeans

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Opera for mobile on off-road mode. Firefox for anything flash-related.

Posted from my "CrackDroid" Nexus 4 via the Android Central App

Soban Arshad

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
what would you guys say is the best browser in terms of battery life? because I noticed with chrome my battery drains quicker than with AOSP

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I've tried the AOSP browser, and really just didn't care for it. I have tried Firefox, Opera, and Dolphin as well, and I just keep going back to Chrome.

A friend of mine has an iPhone, so normally he of course uses Safari. I put Chrome on his phone for him, and even though he still likes to hug the big Apple, I can say that Chrome is better in iOS as well.

Just as a side note, it's really funny because I can remember when Firefox first came out for computers, and it was absolutely my go-to browser from that point on. When Chrome first came out, it was Windows-only and it took AGES for them to release it for anything else, and then for a bit it had issues and so I went back to Firefox. But once they had a real full release of Chrome out there, I've found I just can't make myself sit and use anything else, and now on ALL platforms.

saintforlife

May 1, 2012
Visit site
How do you enable 'Reader' mode in Firefox? What other browsers have the Reader mode option?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
varun2310