Visiting Japan: bmobile sim or other recommendations

El_Piji

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to be visiting Japan next month. I'll be there for one week and would like to be able to Skype and navigate using my Nexus 4. I've heard both good and bad about bmobile's data Sim service. Someone at Boing Boing raved about it with his phone (not a Nexus 4), but elsewhere on the web I read about someone who tried it with their N4 and, while it appeared to work, they were underwhelmed with the speed of the service.

Has anyone visited Japan recently, and if you have do you have any recommendations stories about your experience?

Thanks!

p2lf

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Be wary of Bmobile. Their service works only on their (very short) list of compatible smart phones. Even if your phone is unlocked and it works with 3rd party SIMs in other countries, like I have, it wont work on Bmobile. You are better off renting a 3g->wifi puck from econnectjapan.com and running that as your data hub.

El_Piji

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Actually it all turned out fine. I setup my Nexus 4 using the instructions out of the box and got it up and running in a few minutes.

Speed was also quite good most of the time. The only slow speeds I had were outside Kyoto at a friend's place. Ironically, I got better speed than they got on their wifi puck (Softback).

I'm pretty sure econnect uses the same service as bmobile.

Anyway, I can safely recommend bmobile sim cards for Nexus 4 users.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995