cracked nexus 4 repair or new?

brokenphone1239

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
i cracked my nexus 4, dropped on the ground. the touch screen is not responsive so basically cannot use it. but it does power up etc and one corner on touch screen works.
i can get it fixed but the minimum i was quoted was like 160 dollars! i had ordered this phone in april. so now should i pay 170 or just buy a new phone? i know nexus 4 is sold out on google play store and nexus 5 might be coming the end of october. i can probably sell this one on craigslist and wait for a new one?
or should i just get this fixed? also if i do get this one fixed everything would be reset right? nothing would be saved on this phone?
cant decide between the two options

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
i cracked my nexus 4, dropped on the ground. the touch screen is not responsive so basically cannot use it. but it does power up etc and one corner on touch screen works.
i can get it fixed but the minimum i was quoted was like 160 dollars! i had ordered this phone in april. so now should i pay 170 or just buy a new phone? i know nexus 4 is sold out on google play store and nexus 5 might be coming the end of october. i can probably sell this one on craigslist and wait for a new one?
or should i just get this fixed? also if i do get this one fixed everything would be reset right? nothing would be saved on this phone?
cant decide between the two options

I just went through this myself. I have insurance on my phone. So I paid the 150 and got a new one.
The cheapest I found in town who could repair my nexus was 200 bucks!!!! So 160 is good. Both the glass and digitizer are one unit. (LCD)
I opted to get the new Nexus 4 (T-mobile still has some in stock, and the insurance company paid me back).... and now im selling it so I can buy the Nexus 5.
Its a hard decision for sure. Still a great phone.... but I have an S4 too. So im good for now

brokenphone1239

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
hmm ya i dont have insurance.. how much did you pay for insurance? maybe next time i should get one :)
ya both the screen and touch panel need to be replaced as they are molded.. even if i get the part online and fix it myself (saw youtoube videos and it does not look too difficult) the part itlsef is still 130 dollars so not much help...
for now i have borrowed a phone from a friend. so can take my time to dcide

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
hmm ya i dont have insurance.. how much did you pay for insurance? maybe next time i should get one :)
ya both the screen and touch panel need to be replaced as they are molded.. even if i get the part online and fix it myself (saw youtoube videos and it does not look too difficult) the part itlsef is still 130 dollars so not much help...
for now i have borrowed a phone from a friend. so can take my time to dcide

I dont know if I want insurance anymore...
Just one year ago I think the deductible was around 90 bucks.... now its 150. almost not worth it.
But I sold the phone for 340. So I made $190. And now Im just saving for the Nexus 5.
If you think you can fix it yourself... Id say get the screen and replace it. Then sell it before the nexus 5 comes out for optimal profit.