Music and media volume control. Stuck on silent?

HTCTundaBow

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I cannot get my media volume to turn up. It's stuck on silent. I've tried the volume rocker, and I've tried manually sliding the volume bar with my finger. It won't move. I can't hear videos or music. What's the problem here? Keep in mind, my phone volume works fine, and will turn up and down.

Screenshot_2013-10-20-20-10-05_zps548e6dde.png

ohyeahar

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Is it stuck on silent even if you unplug your headphones? I?m thinking perhaps you have volume controls on your headphones and the vol down button may be stuck or something.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
This came up a while ago and it turned out to be a game app that had its own mute button. Problem was, when the game was muted, all media was muted, even when the game wasn't running.

Joni Sanchez

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
I cannot get my media volume to turn up. It's stuck on silent. I've tried the volume rocker, and I've tried manually sliding the volume bar with my finger. It won't move. I can't hear videos or music. What's the problem here? Keep in mind, my phone volume works fine, and will turn up and down.

View attachment 88009

Tell me what I need to do

Last edited by a moderator:

shawnkcarter

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
You need to open task manager (the left button on your S5) - and kill all programs that are open by swiping them away.
Then your volume control will come back.

I noticed this happened the other day, and I rebooted my phone - but it happened again.

I think that I had lowered the volume in one of the apps that was still open, and this was locking out the controls.

Hope this helps...

Matt Bryan1

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
i have found that with the latest update of BitX if you mute the volume in this app then the volume for all media is muted. you must return to the app and unmute to regain volume control in other media apps. i have also found that the level of volume selected in this app will be the default volume for all media apps. the volume is adjustable but will be set at the level found in BitX.

Yasmine Nathalia

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
Sound get stuck

Hello,can you please help me i dont know where i must go and write...everytime when i play music or youtube the sound always get stuck after few mins...i can play it again...but i am angry cause i have headphones on way so i dont like this...so please can u help me prettttty plz....thanks so much .....Yasmine T

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Sound get stuck

Hello,can you please help me i dont know where i must go and write...everytime when i play music or youtube the sound always get stuck after few mins...i can play it again...but i am angry cause i have headphones on way so i dont like this...so please can u help me prettttty plz....thanks so much .....Yasmine T

Welcome to Android Central! Do you have a Nexus 4 as well, or a different phone? Are you saying that this only happens when you have headphones plugged in, or does it also happen if they're not plugged in?

shantid1

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Do you have a Nexus 4 as well, or a different phone? Are you saying that this only happens when you have headphones plugged in, or does it also happen if they're not plugged in?

I'm having problems with my ringer and media volume after updating my s5. One of the issues is the ringer will turned off, when I restart it, it will turn back on until a call come through, then it turn off. Same with the media volume.
Can someone please help me out

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm having problems with my ringer and media volume after updating my s5. One of the issues is the ringer will turned off, when I restart it, it will turn back on until a call come through, then it turn off. Same with the media volume.
Can someone please help me out

Welcome to Android Central! This thread is for the Nexus 4. I suggest creating a new thread for your question in the S5 forum: Samsung Galaxy S5 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com. Thanks!

Noor-e-saba Shabbir

Dec 17, 2016
Visit site
Hello I have a problem on my Android ALCATEL phone in media sound. I open the full volume of media sound on settings but still videos have no sound. Please help me to fix this problem!

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site
The problem is caused by phone app. Each and every time I make a call, then the media volume goes mute. I installed an app (volume fixer) from the play store but it's really frustrating to use the app every time after the call.

It's undoubtedly caused when making a call. Any permanent solution?

sabl54

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
I found if i went to settings:sounds/notification:volume: tap the 3 small dots right top corner: media volume limiter-turn off. Released the mute being stuck