Google Hangouts and Keyboard update

Snothy

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I just updated my Hangouts (with SMS support) and Google Keyboard from the play store. The keyboard is totally meant for KitKat judjing by its style. Does that mean we're getting kitkat soon? Like tomorrow ;_;

JeromeJ

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't think so. I mean it could happen but carriers are gonna be taking awhile to release kitkat. Did you always have an emoji keyboard in your hangouts? Cause I just noticed that on my app after it updated (I've never really used hangouts)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

n3wDaddy77

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I've used Hangouts quite a bit. I haven't updated the app yet, but I've never seen emoji on the keyboard itself.

There's always been a separate button beside the input field.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Karrott9

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Not a fan of the new keyboard. Seems like not has forgot all of my tendencies. My phone won't auto correct "its to it's" or "thats to that's" and that's isn't even a word!!! Same with isnt it doesn't put the ' in the word!!!

Posted via Android Central App

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I miss the Holo Blue accents. I think I'm going to miss the blue status bar icons once the 4.4 update comes through, too. White is boring. :-\

sibeans

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
The smaller spacebar on numbers layout is a little annoying but I see the future benefit

Posted from my "CrackDroid" Nexus 4 via the Android Central App

charlee08

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I still haven't got the update.

I even re-downloaded it and still have the build version 1.2.

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
The keyboard is going to take a lot of getting used to.

- Did it wipe out previous auto correct/suggest stuff? If I type out "youre" within a sentence (not first word) it doesn't give the option of "you're" in the initial three suggestions. Odd as "Youre" does suggest "You're" (Yes, i know I can fiddle with the dictionary.)

- Having the "!" right next to "?" can be problematic if you're not paying attention and hit Enter too quickly as the meaning of texts can completely change. i.e. "You love me?" becomes "You love me!"

- The blue text will be missed.

- I wouldn't mind an option to replace the Mic/Voice button with the comma key, and I suppose some third-party keyboard would allow that.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
It does give me the "you're" option of the three. The only issue I have with the new layout is the comma moved. I will also miss the holo blue lettering.

Karrott9

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
The keyboard is going to take a lot of getting used to.

- Did it wipe out previous auto correct/suggest stuff? If I type out "youre" within a sentence (not first word) it doesn't give the option of "you're" in the initial three suggestions. Odd as "Youre" does suggest "You're" (Yes, i know I can fiddle with the dictionary.)

- Having the "!" right next to "?" can be problematic if you're not paying attention and hit Enter too quickly as the meaning of texts can completely change. i.e. "You love me?" becomes "You love me!"

- The blue text will be missed.

- I wouldn't mind an option to replace the Mic/Voice button with the comma key, and I suppose some third-party keyboard would allow that.

Ive (<--- see no apostrophe) tried messing with the dictionary and typing in a shortcut but it doesn't seem to do anything. But yea the keyboard isnt automatically inserting apostrophes.

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I dont see how hangouts is better than the stock SMS app. I also use SMS Popup which functions fine when hangouts is activated.

I miss the blue highlights as well.

Karrott9

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I have not received the Hangouts update for my N4. So I went and uninstalled it and reinstalled it and there is no option for SMS...are we supposed to have Kit Kat?

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I have not received the Hangouts update for my N4. So I went and uninstalled it and reinstalled it and there is no option for SMS...are we supposed to have Kit Kat?

It's rolling out waves at a time via the play store...

I'm still waiting, even though I already had it via an Apk.

festinator

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I thought apps on the playstore update all at once, not in waves... And the keyboard still inserts apostrophes

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app