What does the Nexus 5 do that I won't be able to do on my N4?

StuMcBill

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering if there is anything ground breaking on the Nexus 5 that my Nexus 4 will not be able to take advantage of when the official Kit Kat OTA arrives?

I understand that the N5 has a co-processor that will access the low powered sensor data (pedometer etc), but is there anything major that will be missing from my kit kat experience on the N4?

Or at this stage, do we just not know?

Thanks
Stewart

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

ohyeahar

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Major thing would be optical image stabilization. You would be able to take much clearer shots on the N5 than the N4.

Another would be maximum 32gb vs 16gb of storage. So media capabilities should be much better.

The screen is supposedly much better. I personally find the resolution on the N4 to be good enough that I'm not jealous of 1080p. But the color representation should be better. But you can fix that on the N4 on certain ROMs that allow tweaking the gamma settings.

I think that's about it. I'm perfectly still happy with my N4 so I'll probably just skip this generation.

Posted via Android Central App

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Major thing would be optical image stabilization. You would be able to take much clearer shots on the N5 than the N4.

Another would be maximum 32gb vs 16gb of storage. So media capabilities should be much better.

The screen is supposedly much better. I personally find the resolution on the N4 to be good enough that I'm not jealous of 1080p. But the color representation should be better. But you can fix that on the N4 on certain ROMs that allow tweaking the gamma settings.

I think that's about it. I'm perfectly still happy with my N4 so I'll probably just skip this generation.

I have had my N4 for about 1/2 a year and right now I have 9GBs of storage still left on my 16GB version. Guess I would never even use 16GB much less 32.. Staying with the N4.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
N4 have LTE, but band 4 only, there are dozen more bands the N5 support to make it world compatible. Also for the N4 it's unofficial and required unlocking the bootloader and technically isn't legal by the FCC so people need to stop claiming it, most people who buy the Nexus are normal users who don't know or want to flash their devices.

Now with that of the way, here is just what I get from all the reviews and readings:

Nexus 5 have powered USB OTG.
Better camera with image stabilization.
1080p screen, slightly larger.
Gorilla glass 3 (means nothing to me).
Bigger storage.
Smaller bezel.
Lighter weight and thinner.
Weight distribution is more balanced than the N4. I dislike the top heavy feel of the N4.
Slightly bigger battery coupled with more efficient SoC.
The earpiece and call quality is supposed to be better than the N4.
802.11ac
Support CDMA carriers (that will allow it to work on their network) and much more LTE bands.

Overall I think you can do most things the N5 does with the N4. I like the build and look of the N4 more than the N5 and its still plenty fast with KitKat hence I'm not yet compelled to get the N5 except the urge to just trying it out.

I think you'll get better answers asking in the N5 section.

android central applying

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I like the build and look of the N4 more than the N5
This is what I thought too, until I held and looked at the Nexus 5. It is an absolutely gorgeous and elegant device. At least the black version's soft touch, slightly curved back makes it a pleasure to hold, more so than my Nexus 4.

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Me too!

Me three! I'm a "pocket" phone storer, and I think the N4 fits perfectly. The N5 is too tall, more rectangular IMO. I'd stick with my N4 and skip the N5. All I need is the new 4.4 OS and that's it.

festinator

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Me three! I'm a "pocket" phone storer, and I think the N4 fits perfectly. The N5 is too tall, more rectangular IMO. I'd stick with my N4 and skip the N5. All I need is the new 4.4 OS and that's it.

Yeah I'm skipping the 5 and i'll get whatever is next. 4.4 is all I really wanted.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
N4 have LTE, but band 4 only, there are dozen more bands the N5 support to make it world compatible. Also for the N4 it's unofficial and required unlocking the bootloader and technically isn't legal by the FCC so people need to stop claiming it, most people who buy the Nexus are normal users who don't know or want to flash their devices.

Now with that of the way, here is just what I get from all the reviews and readings:

Nexus 5 have powered USB OTG.
Better camera with image stabilization.
1080p screen, slightly larger.
Gorilla glass 3 (means nothing to me).
Bigger storage.
Smaller bezel.
Lighter weight and thinner.
Weight distribution is more balanced than the N4. I dislike the top heavy feel of the N4.
Slightly bigger battery coupled with more efficient SoC.
The earpiece and call quality is supposed to be better than the N4.
802.11ac
Support CDMA carriers (that will allow it to work on their network) and much more LTE bands.

Overall I think you can do most things the N5 does with the N4. I like the build and look of the N4 more than the N5 and its still plenty fast with KitKat hence I'm not yet compelled to get the N5 except the urge to just trying it out.

I think you'll get better answers asking in the N5 section.

android central applying

Are u serious? Nexus phones are development phones ( flashing romming ect).

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2 (Central n ohio Austin IL)

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Are u serious? Nexus phones are development phones ( flashing romming ect).

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2 (Central n ohio Austin IL)
In part it is, but not anymore, especially the way its being marketed. If that was the case the phone would only come with AOSP, and no Google apps whatsoever. If it's a dev phone then why need Maps, or PlayStore to purchase online contents, or Google Now, what about Nexus commercials posted on youtube? And why are all the big name reviewers reviewing the Nexus 5?
Can you confirm everyone posting in this forum are developers: http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-5/

The Nexus brand is in large marketed to showcase Google services and allowing an affordable option to access them.

sameer kapoor

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
At present I am fully satisfied with my Nexus4 8gb , satisfied with its screen resolution, camera, size, storage , looks . I want to try someone else's nexus5 before purchasing it for myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34