Google drops the ball with slow kikat rollout

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Google has really dropped the ball with updating nexus devices to kitkat!

At least IOS updates are ready in a timely manner cmon google announce a date.

Posted via Android Central App

You're kidding, right? Please tell me you're kidding. We're still well within the time frame that Google said that other Nexus devices would get KK. This is one of the saddest threads I've read in some time. I'm guessing that as a kid you'd start getting mad at Santa by December 3rd if there were no presents under your tree.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
When I wasn't on this website... I never cared about updates, than I got got a nexus and joined this website. Its made me obsessed ha.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Google has really dropped the ball with updating nexus devices to kitkat!

At least IOS updates are ready in a timely manner cmon google announce a date.

I know many of us are "patiently" waiting, but I wouldn't go as far as to say they've dropped any ball yet. When they announced the N5 on Halloween, they said that Kit Kat would be released for all Nexus devices "within the next few days" or something to that effect. I assure you it's coming...and I'd rather it be a polished, finished product.

Google never gave a target date for existing Nexus devices, so it's hard to say they "dropped the ball" ... yet.

Let?s see?

iOS 7 was announced on 10 Jun 2013. It was released on 18 Sep 2013. That's 100 days in between.

The N5 and Kit-Kat were announced on 31 Oct 2013. That?s 11 days ago. Relax.

Not exactly a parallel comparison, but yeah, it's only been 11 days.

Just get the nexus 5 port, guys. That's why you have a nexus!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

One reason I bought a Nexus was so I didn't have to sideload crap just to get the latest and greatest. :p

I agree, while I embrace the dev community and certainly am no stranger to running ROMs and ports and other custom OS, it's certainly not the same thing, especially when we're talking about Google Android on Nexus devices.

Not entirely true...

iOS 7:
Announced & features teased on June 10

Official announcement & features detailed on September 10

Released on iPhone 5S & 5C and for upgrade on other eligible Apple products on September 18

Android Kit Kat:
Announced on September 3

Official announcement & features detailed along with Nexus 5 released for order on October 31

Released for upgrade on other eligible Android devices TBD???

I'm in no rush, just clarifying the dates. The fact is Apple prepares their iOS updates for a universal release across their line of eligible products. Google does not...

Side note, I have the fortune of sharing a 10x10 office with a diehard Apple person (iPhone 5's, iPods, Macbook Air, Macbook Pro, Apple TV). I'm open-minded, but tend to like Google products (Nexus 4's, soon to own Nexus 7 & Chromebook). So we have plenty of Google & Apple discussions & debates. :)

Google has in the past usually released images for all Nexus devices VERY shortly after announcement, so this is a bit unusual for them based on previous history...

While the Nexus 5 (w/ KK) is already out, Google actual does usually do updates much like Apple in that they generally release updates for ALL Nexus devices at the same time...and I imagine this time will be no different.

One other difference between Apple and Google when it comes to updates, at least as of late, is that Google generally has 2 "major" releases per year. Android 4.3 came out just a few months ago with the release of the 2013 Nexus 7, and this Android 4.4 update will be out shortly. Apple, on the other hand, tends to only do 1 major update per year. Does that make one better than the other? I don't necessary think so (I'm not comparing the content of these updates here)...but for me, it does help me stay patient because I know that 4.3 is still pretty decent, recently updated software.

A *VERIZON* phone! Get one and know true update pain.

The Samsung phones I have had, it was easy....update frequency.....NEVER!!!!!

Interestingly enough, the Galaxy S4 on Verizon has been getting updates in a VERY timely fashion, right on pace with all the other US carriers. I have to wonder if Samsung didn't force Verizon's hand to release updates faster based on their schedule in order to carry the S4, or if this is just a change in Verizon's normal update QA process (For now, I'm going to assume the former). At the very least, it does seem to demonstrate that Apple may not be the only manufacturer that Verizon is willing to cater to in order to sell the the popular devices.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If the update is out within 30 days of the announcement/Nexus 5 release, Google did just fine. Same day release would have been nice, but then we'd still be waiting for the Nexus 5 to launch. I'm not even getting an N5 and I'm glad its already out. I was very sick of the constant speculation.

4ringsa6

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Apple actually let people know what day the new iOS was going to be released.

Google is leaving us In the dark.

After kitkat arrives, it may not come to you immediately.

IOS it's there the same day its released.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Apple actually let people know what day the new iOS was going to be released.

Google is leaving us In the dark.

After kitkat arrives, it may not come to you immediately.

IOS it's there the same day its released.

Once it's released, you always have the option to download the image and manually install yourself, it's only the OTA update that gets "staggered" in it's released. Part of the reason for this is so that Google can torture you specifically can prevent a massive bandwidth hit on their servers that would inevitably happen if everyone tried to download at the same time. Sure, Apple chooses not to do this, but then again, I have a lot of friends that tried to update to iOS 7 on release day and waited (literally) hours for it to download and install.

Google4Lifee

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Guys... remember the HTC one GPE device is getting it this week. (15th)

There is no way google would let a GPE device get 4.4 before NEXUS devices!
So its rolling out this week! :)

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
You're kidding, right? Please tell me you're kidding. We're still well within the time frame that Google said that other Nexus devices would get KK. This is one of the saddest threads I've read in some time. I'm guessing that as a kid you'd start getting mad at Santa by December 3rd if there were no presents under your tree.
Speaking Xmas...I promise the update will out before than...Unless you own a GN than your on your own and you can go update your ROM now...

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Not sure that is fair. You are talking about iOS beta announcement and then its release in Sept 2013.
I don't think a release at the end of this week is a problem. If it's not released by end of week i would guess they are waiting for 4.4.1.
I am a Nexus 4 user (personal) and an iPhone 5c user (work). Can take or leave either.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Once it's released, you always have the option to download the image and manually install yourself, it's only the OTA update that gets "staggered" in it's released. Part of the reason for this is so that Google can torture you specifically can prevent a massive bandwidth hit on their servers that would inevitably happen if everyone tried to download at the same time. Sure, Apple chooses not to do this, but then again, I have a lot of friends that tried to update to iOS 7 on release day and waited (literally) hours for it to download and install.

Unless I'm mistaken, Apple does staggered rollouts OTA with a download option as well.

Google4Lifee

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
As I said before, I really think the update will roll out this week. Before the 15th.

That is only 15 days after they announced Kiktat! Not to bad.