Nexus 4 GPS signal get weak on 3G networks

Niko Panunggal

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, I just purchase my nexus 4 about 2 weeks ago and update the OS right away to JWR66y. I don't know if this problem persist on the stock version OS but since the first time I try to get my position by GPS, my N4 can't get my position at all. It always saying "waiting for GPS..." like forever. I try to Google for some answers and I can't find the right solution for my problem. This morning I just realize something: The GPS works very well when I select "Use only 2G networks" on my Mobile Network Settings. Please suggest me a working solution. I'm running Jelly bean 4.3 JWR66Y with all-updated Google apps. Thanks.
One more thing, on GPS STATUS app, the GPS signal bars are so weak when I'm on 3G network, but they get really strong once I pick 'Use only 2G Networks'on Android's Mobile Network Settings.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
In theory, the two have nothing to do with each other. GPS does not require your cellular network at all; though I suppose it may be possible that the cellular antennas within the phone are causing interference with the GPS antenna.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Niko, make sure the location access options are all turned on/checked settings>location access>. Also you have to have wifi switched on so that the gps locator can triangulate youre location. If all these settings are used you should be able to use GPS without a network signal.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Niko, make sure the location access options are all turned on/checked settings>location access>. Also you have to have wifi switched on so that the gps locator can triangulate youre location. If all these settings are used you should be able to use GPS without a network signal.

GPS itself requires neither cellular nor Wi-Fi. Depending on the tools you are using, your phone may attempt to roughly locate itself based on triangulation of Wi-Fi and cellular towers, but this can lead to wildly inaccurate results.

Niko Panunggal

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for reply. I've tried many setting combinations (Including WiFi & Network Locations) and the only setting that can get my GPS working is selecting "use only 2G networks". Once I'm on 2G, my GPS will work perfectly no matter I'm using "WiFi and mobile network location" or not. But of course, 2G networks makes my internet connection very slow.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Used my N4 as a GPS device in the sierras last weekend. I had better results in clearings then i did with cover but that's to be expected. I still had a map though.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for reply. I've tried many setting combinations (Including WiFi & Network Locations) and the only setting that can get my GPS working is selecting "use only 2G networks". Once I'm on 2G, my GPS will work perfectly no matter I'm using "WiFi and mobile network location" or not. But of course, 2G networks makes my internet connection very slow.

Im suggesting you use ALL the location access settings @ once with wifi toggled ON. From what N4N is saying the network shouldn't have any effect on the GPS function.