So LTE won't be enabled on the nexus 4 after the 4.4 update huh? I guess all the rumors were fake.

Or it might be enabled maybe that's why Google is taking so long to release the update.

What do you guys think?

Posted via Android Central App on Nexus 4
    11-16-2013 12:07 AM
    So LTE won't be enabled on the nexus 4 after the 4.4 update huh? I guess all the rumors were fake.

Or it might be enabled maybe that's why Google is taking so long to release the update.

What do you guys think?

They've never certified the N4 with the FCC so it won't legally be authorized to have LTE, at least in the US. The one band that it does support (through hacking) works on T-Mobile very short range and for some Canadians. Additionally, an OTA update cannot add hardware to a device, though they could update the software radios to have it officially work, were they to certify it... the experience would just be relatively terrible, since the band once enabled requires you to be very close to the network tower and doesn't work on most networks and/or in the majority of the country. I'd say that rumor is busted.
    11-16-2013 12:15 AM
    They've never certified the N4 with the FCC so it won't legally be authorized to have LTE, at least in the US. The one band that it does support (through hacking) works on T-Mobile very short range and for some Canadians. Additionally, an OTA update cannot add hardware to a device, though they could update the software radios to have it officially work, were they to certify it... the experience would just be relatively terrible, since the band once enabled requires you to be very close to the network tower and doesn't work on most networks and/or in the majority of the country. I'd say that rumor is busted.
    Well HSPA+ isn't that bad I mean I get great speed most of the time. Its way better then 3G on iPhone 4S I had before I upgraded to nexus 4. Now I'm just waiting for the 4.4 update.

Aquila likes this.
    11-16-2013 12:18 AM
    Wherever you get those rumors you should stop going there.

And to get LTE isn't hard, you must need to unlock the bootloader then flash the LTE enabled modern, edit a few build.prop lines, then relock the bootloader if you want. No warranty is broken in the process.

sent from tapatalk app
    Ry likes this.
    11-16-2013 04:53 AM
    Wherever you get those rumors you should stop going there.

And to get LTE isn't hard, you must need to unlock the bootloader then flash the LTE enabled modern, edit a few build.prop lines, then relock the bootloader if you want. No warranty is broken in the process.

sent from tapatalk app
    It's actually even easier with the all in one. Unlock, flash the file, relock (if you want).

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2358931

It's worth learning to use fastboot and a custom recovery for this alone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    11-16-2013 07:15 AM
    It's actually even easier with the all in one. Unlock, flash the file, relock (if you want).

*UPDATED* [ZIP] All in One LTE Enabler, Flash ONE zip, and have BAND 4 LTE on any ROM - xda-developers

It's worth learning to use fastboot and a custom recovery for this alone.

Do i need to root my phone for this? sorry im new, just got my nexus 4 a couple of weeks ago. Switched from 4s
    11-21-2013 10:22 PM
    You need to follow this guide to unlock your bootloader and install custom recovery to flash that package: http://forums.androidcentral.com/nex...lock-root.html

Root is not neccesary.
    11-21-2013 11:05 PM
    You need to follow this guide to unlock your bootloader and install custom recovery to flash that package: http://forums.androidcentral.com/nex...lock-root.html

Root is not neccesary.
    Will this effect my phone negatively in any way?

11-21-2013 11:06 PM
    Will this effect my phone negatively in any way?
    For security reasons, unlocking the bootloader necessitates a full wipe of the device. I leave it to you to decide if that's a negative
    11-22-2013 01:01 AM
    For security reasons, unlocking the bootloader necessitates a full wipe of the device. I leave it to you to decide if that's a negative
    Ah, well Thats not a problem but will my phone behave properly after? Will I be able to update android with no problem?

11-22-2013 01:03 AM
    Ah, well Thats not a problem but will my phone behave properly after? Will I be able to update android with no problem?

You will be able to update without problems, as long as you don't make any other modifications to your device such as editing build.prop, flashing custom recoveries etc. So you need to flash a custom recovery like CWM or TWRP to flash that LTE package, but after that reflash the stock recovery.

You could still receive updates with custom recoveries, but the phone will most likely brick when I tries to install it. (Even though some sat you van flash update packages manually using TWRP recovery, it may still lead to bricking for others).

Also the update will likely update your radio to the newest version so you need to reflash it again.

It's more trouble than it worth so I suggest if you aren't willing to take the risk don't do it, and the latest version of the radio will be optimized best for signal and battery life anyway.

sent from tapatalk
    11-22-2013 10:03 AM
    You will be able to update without problems, as long as you don't make any other modifications to your device such as editing build.prop, flashing custom recoveries etc. So you need to flash a custom recovery like CWM or TWRP to flash that LTE package, but after that reflash the stock recovery.

You could still receive updates with custom recoveries, but the phone will most likely brick when I tries to install it. (Even though some sat you van flash update packages manually using TWRP recovery, it may still lead to bricking for others).

Also the update will likely update your radio to the newest version so you need to reflash it again.

It's more trouble than it worth so I suggest if you aren't willing to take the risk don't do it, and the latest version of the radio will be optimized best for signal and battery life anyway.

sent from tapatalk
    You can actually boot into custom recovery without flashing it if that helps.

That said, you're right about it being more trouble than it's worth. LTE is a battery hog and there isn't much noticeable difference from t mobile HSDPA

11-22-2013 11:43 AM
    My battery is unchanged since turning LTE on,n download speeds are up 100%, and upload speeds up at least 500%.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    11-22-2013 02:14 PM
    My battery is unchanged since turning LTE on,n download speeds are up 100%, and upload speeds up at least 500%.

I think I'll stick with HSPA+. I don't want to ruin my phone.

Sent from my Awesome Nexus 4 using Taptalk
    11-22-2013 02:15 PM
    I think I'll stick with HSPA+. I don't want to ruin my phone.

Ruin how? It's a nexus, short of dropping it there's literally nothing you can do that can't be undone in about 3 minutes.

11-22-2013 02:16 PM
    Ruin how? It's a nexus, short of dropping it there's literally nothing you can do that can't be undone in about 3 minutes.

Do u have a guide on how to flash it and enable 4g?.

11-22-2013 02:19 PM
    Do u have a guide on how to flash it and enable 4g?.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2358931

As always, read everything twice, back up your data, make a Nandroid, etc

11-22-2013 04:17 PM
    *UPDATED* [ZIP] All in One LTE Enabler, Flash ONE zip, and have BAND 4 LTE on any ROM - xda-developers

As always, read everything twice, back up your data, make a Nandroid, etc

Where is the tutorial though?
    11-22-2013 04:22 PM

To be fair, my phone seems to be connecting to a weak lte signal over a strong hspa+ where I live. If I had excellent lte coverage at home, my battery might not be as bad.

11-24-2013 09:40 PM