Why should I upgrade to 4.4 ?

sameer kapoor

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
After googling for many days about features of 4.4 , I don't see any point to upgrade to 4.4 because
# I rarely used google now.
# Write messages occasionaly
# using truecaller ( flawless) for caller ID
# can not get GEL after update
# don't like rooting
# my phone is already giving lightning fast performance
# don't know about others but 100% satisfied with camera
# 100% satisfied with resolution of N4's screen
# I like its curved screen edges
and in the end my greatest fear of upgrading to 4.4 , I don't want to face any unwanted performance issues after upgrade because my phone is out of warranty . Now do you tell me any compeling reason to upgrade to 4.4 ? I mean Please suggest me ,why should I upgrade to 4.4 ? Thanks in advance .

jalt179

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I got GEL on my Nexus 4 by installing the Nexus 5 home APK. Have not had any issues yet with a week of use.

FYI, no root on my phone. Was simple install.

Posted via Android Central App

sameer kapoor

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
What about performance ? Is it same as on 4.3 because I am a performance freak , don't like tweaks ( GEL) much.
I got GEL on my Nexus 4 by installing the Nexus 5 home APK. Have not had any issues yet with a week of use.

FYI, no root on my phone. Was simple install.

Posted via Android Central App

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
What about performance ? Is it same as on 4.3 because I am a performance freak , don't like tweaks ( GEL) much.

Performance wise, I am noticing a slight improvement in smoothness. Hardly noticeable though, as 4.3 was already running pretty smooth for me. Battery life appears to be about the same. The new radio is giving me a little better connection in my area and definitely more stable. WiFi is where I'm seeing the best improvement. I'm getting a faster connection based on tests that I have run. I don't use Bluetooth, but I have seen others posting that it is improved. I'm missing the aosp browser that I typically install, but Chrome is also improved. Although, I find zoom still doesn't function as good as it should.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I have always wondered why people upgrade so blindly and without reason. Some people don't buy certain phones because they claim they don't get upgrades quick enough and when you ask them why they want the upgrade they hem and haw and can't come up with a real reason. It's quite funny. If you are happy with your phone, why mess with it in any way? When you see that there is an update that has an improvement or feature you want, go for it. Otherwise, stay secure with your perfectly good OS.

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
4.3 was definitely improvement over 4.2 (in many respects).
Hopefully 4.4 will be the same. :)

It is. I think some people are upset that it isn't a drastic improvement. But it is more refined. And ART does seem to make the phone faster when enabled.
There is a good post on androidpolice about the changes to the status bar that some people are upset about that is also worth reading:
A Google Engineer Explains Why KitKat Has White Status Bar Icons And Only Shows Connectivity In Quick Settings

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
It is. I think some people are upset that it isn't a drastic improvement. But it is more refined. And ART does seem to make the phone faster when enabled.
There is a good post on androidpolice about the changes to the status bar that some people are upset about that is also worth reading:
A Google Engineer Explains Why KitKat Has White Status Bar Icons And Only Shows Connectivity In Quick Settings

Thanks for that link. I wondered about those design decisions, and had never considering the impact on battery life and performance. Seems like it would be negligible, but apparently not.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I have always wondered why people upgrade so blindly and without reason. Some people don't buy certain phones because they claim they don't get upgrades quick enough and when you ask them why they want the upgrade they hem and haw and can't come up with a real reason. It's quite funny. If you are happy with your phone, why mess with it in any way? When you see that there is an update that has an improvement or feature you want, go for it. Otherwise, stay secure with your perfectly good OS.

This is only if you focus on features. There are always under the hood fixes and enhancements that are not so noticeable, or some not at all, especially security fixes and enhancements. So, if you don't care about that and don't want the new features, it is fine to take that approach. Typically there are usually some security fixes and enhancements. Android 4.3 brought a big security change, the reason there were many apps that became buggy and the devs had to update them. I'm not sure what security changes 4.4 brings, but there are likely some. Apart from that, the latest drivers and lib files always help with performance, even if you just focus on the system performance and not the features.

codejinchu

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Here are reasons to upgrade.
1. KitKat less memory hog and more efficient. Average on JB:768mb KK:512
2. KitKat runs smoother. Not major but subtle enough to notice.
3. Getting KitKat doesn't require rooting, all u doing is restoring it to the factory image.
4. Camera doesn't suffer from a slower shutter like the N5.
5. Can install GEL yourself just manually install Google search 3.1 first then install GEL doesn't required rooting.
6. There are a lot minor changes to like. a) playing music album art fill whole screen in lock mode. b) immersion mode when reading books or movies is nice. c) makes it easier to change launchers in the settings menu. There more that I 4got.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Here are reasons to upgrade.
1. KitKat less memory hog and more efficient. Average on JB:768mb KK:512
2. KitKat runs smoother. Not major but subtle enough to notice.
3. Getting KitKat doesn't require rooting, all u doing is restoring it to the factory image.
4. Camera doesn't suffer from a slower shutter like the N5.
5. Can install GEL yourself just manually install Google search 3.1 first then install GEL doesn't required rooting.
6. There are a lot minor changes to like. a) playing music album art fill whole screen in lock mode. b) immersion mode when reading books or movies is nice. c) makes it easier to change launchers in the settings menu. There more that I 4got.

+1000

I like the new phone and people app. its a huge improvement.

Also, i used the NFC HCE for payment after flashing 4.4

its smoother and i am noticing about 8 hr increase in standby time over all after 4.4

pjc123

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
You need to upgrade immediately so you can find all the bugs. Then a month later when I upgrade it will go perfectly smoothly.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
There are many reasons why you would want to upgrade to the latest version of Android if you haven't already done so. However, my motto is always "if it ain't broke don't fix it". If 4.3 works well enough for you and you don't see anything that appeals to you with the 4.4 update, and the flaws pointed out in the sources you seen, then stick with 4.3 Ride it out and wait for some or all of those issues to be taken care of in a future update.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20