*Updated* How to re-enable Tethering on KitKat. (New method on T-Mobile without root.)

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Some of you will notice unless you have a tethering plan, it may no longer work with KitKat, this only affect certain carriers, such as T-Mobile. PS. On my Nexus 4, tethering is working again with KitKat 4.4.2 on T-Mobile without extra modifications, but if it doesn't work for you, try the methods below.

TETHERING WITHOUT REQUIRING ROOT:

1. (T-Mobile) MODIFY THE APN: I have not fully tested this method on all phones, but all you have to do is use the APN: fast.t-mobile.com, then in the "APN type" field, add the value: "dun". Also in the "APN protocal" field, made sure the value is "IPv4". Thank you to user "cq1125" for posting this method, visit his thread for more info: http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x/361831-unrestricted-tether-t-mobile-no-root.html

Detailed instructions:
-In order to get to the APN menu, go to Settings -> More... -> Mobile networks -> Access Point Names.
-You will see a list of APNs similar to screenshot below. Tap on one of the T-Mobile title in the list to edit it's APN settings.
-While in the "Edit access point" window, in the field "APN", make sure you change the value from "epc.tmobile.com" to: fast.t-mobile.com
-Scroll down to the field "APN type", do not delete any of it's existing values, but add a comma "," and the value "dun".
-Also make sure the field "APN protocol" is set with the value "IPv4", as IPv6 doesn't work with tethering yet.
-Lastly, tap on the three dots menu button on the top right and select Save. Now you can exit.
tmoapntether.jpg

2. TETHERING USING USB CABLE: If you don't have root or unable to root, you can use an app like ClockworkMod's Tether, it required it's companion PC program, you also need to download the USB drivers for your phone. You need to make an in app purchase to allow unlimited quota. This method is using USB connection to your PC only, not wireless.

METHODS TO ENABLE TETHERING WITH ROOT:

1. EASY METHOD, USING GUI: These steps to re-enable tethering will require root and I'll be using a paid app to achieve the purpose (there might be other free apps as alternative). This is courtesy of another XDA member who originally posted the instruction from here.

2. USING COMMAND LINES and ADB: Same as above, but using command lines, recommended for more advance users, but it's free.

If tethering is still working for you then you don't have to perform these steps.
I am not reponsible for any damages to your phone if you perform these steps, it's your choice, backup first.
Rooting your phone will result in Over The Air updates no longer working.

EASY METHOD, USING GUI
Hint: See the accompanied screenshots attached below.

0. First you need root (instruction),

1. Backup. I have no problems whatsoever with these steps, but if you have custom recoveries you might want to make a nandroid backup first.

(Optional): Using a root file explorer, go to the directory: /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/. Make a copy of the file settings.db to your sdcard for backup incase you need to restore it, we will be editing this file.

2. Buy this SQLite Editor. (There are other sqlite editors, but this one is the easiest to use. It's up to you.)

3. Open SQLite Editor, grant root for it, then under the APPS list, scroll down and tap on "Settings Storage".

4. It will search for databases and find "settings.db", tap on it.

5. While in "settings.db", select "global" from the list.

6. You will see a table with "id, name and value" columns. Tap on the + sign on the top right to add a new entry.
In the name field, name it: tether_dun_required. In the value field, write: 0
Tap on Save to save the entry, then exit the app.

8. Make sure you use the correct APN. If you have T-Mobile US, use the "fast.t-mobile.com" APN with IPv4, since tether isn't working with IPv6 yet.

9. Reboot.
tether01.png tether02.png
tether03.png tether04.png

USING COMMAND LINES and ADB
This method is for advance users only, it does the samething as the steps above. We will be using the "sqlite3" binary to manually edit the "Settings Storage" database file through command lines.

0. Make sure you're rooted, have adb installed and working with your device.

1. You need to get the "sqlite3" binary file for your Android. It's not available in stock Android, but you can get it from a CyanogenMod rom. Download a CyanogenMod11 rom from here, extract the file "sqlite3" from the folder "/system/xbin".

2. Copy "sqlite3" file to your Android device into the folder /system/xbin. Make sure to fix the file permission, set it's permission to rwx | r-x | r-x (aka 755).

3. Now we will be using adb shell. So go into "Developer options" and turn on USB debugging and connect the phone to your computer.

-The steps onward will be performed on the computer through command lines.-

4. Get into your phone typing: adb shell
Give yourself root by typing: su
Check to see if sqlite3 is installed correctly by typing: sqlite3
It should give you it's version number, then press CTRL + D to exit sqlite3.

5. Make sure you exit from sqlite3 from the last step. Copy and enter the line below exactly:
sqlite3 "/data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db" "INSERT INTO global(name,value) VALUES('tether_dun_required',0)"
Note: If you get "Permission denied", it means you did not use root or set the correct file permission for the sqlite3 file.

What this does is insert the name "tether_dun_required" with the value of "0" into the table called "global". Since the table is smart enough to automatically assign ID numbers and prevent duplicates, it doesn't matter if the name "tether_dun_required" already existed.

7. Verify. Type this to list the "global" table by name to see if "tether_dun_required" has been entered correctly:
sqlite3 "/data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db" "SELECT * FROM global ORDER BY name"

8. Type CTRL+D twice to exit out, then type 'adb reboot' to reboot the phone.

Last edited:

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: TIPS: How to re-enable Tethering on KitKat.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know that KK removed tethering without a plan. So I'll be staying at 4.3 indefinitely.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Wait, what? I don't think KitKat can "sense" whether or not you have a tethering data plan on your carrier. That's strictly controlled by the carriers (and even though I technically don't have a tethering plan on T-Mobile, I have tethered for brief instances with zero problems on JB).

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Wait, what? I don't think KitKat can "sense" whether or not you have a tethering data plan on your carrier. That's strictly controlled by the carriers (and even though I technically don't have a tethering plan on T-Mobile, I have tethered for brief instances with zero problems on JB).

You are using JB, first this is for KitKat. Try updating to KitKat and tether for more than 100mb which is the amount given free by T-Mobile to prepaid plan and see what happen.

Also there are plenty of ways carriers can sense you are tethering, they provide you with the data, they aren't stupid.

sent from tapatalk

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Tether for more than 100mb which is the amount given free by T-Mobile to prepaid plan (and 200mb for regular plan I think) and see what happen.

sent from tapatalk

Well that could be. I only tether to check my work email or transfer small files when I don't want to pay some hotel's exorbitant internet access fees. Interesting that something does appear to have changed in KitKat, at least according to that XDA thread. Wonder if it affects other carriers (haven't made my way through the thread yet).

chenks

May 22, 2013
Visit site

maybe this is a US only thing?
tethering still works as it did for me on Nexus 4 on 4.4 (and i don't have a tethering plan).

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Interesting. I didn't know that TMO allows 100 MB of tethering. I thought I got away with it because I rarely use it and then only for email.
On Jelly Bean it will still work with stock Android tethering, but you have to spoof your browser user agent string if it detects you're using a desktop web browser.

The article about 100mb free tethering here: http://www.androidcentral.com/t-mobile-starting-offer-free-tethering-prepaid-plans

sent from tapatalk

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, this seems to be mostly a T-Mobile thing in the US, although one guy on Rogers in Canada hit the same problem and reported the fix did not work for him.

This whole change is interesting, indeed. I wonder how many more threads we'll see complaining about this as T-Mobile people update their N4s to 4.4. It also only seems to affect those who don't have an official tethering add-on to their plan (i.e., the people on the $30/mo. prepaid plan). I so rarely tether it hopefully won't impact me much (oh darn work, I can't check that email!) but I'll certainly keep an eye on it. It also seems like custom ROMs will be able to correct this.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Also there are plenty of ways carriers can sense you are tethering, they provide you with the data, they aren't stupid.

Well of course, that's been true for a long time. This is the first time that I know of that stock Android itself has facilitated their ability to detect it, however.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

On Jelly Bean it will still work with stock Android tethering, but you have to spoof your browser user agent string if it detects you're using a desktop web browser.

Thanks. I don't think I've ever used it with a browser, just Outlook or Mail, depending on which machine I'm tethering.

Fearless Freep

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

I think is more carrier-specific rather than related to KitKat itself. Given that I only tether my N7 from my N4 it's not an issue since the agent strings are essentially identical. But carriers have always been able to track agent strings and tie them to specific devices.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

I'm on ST-ATT and only tether with other mobile devices (my kids' iPods or my tablet). Does anyone know if this will be affected? I don't use it a lot, but it is especially helpful on long car trips.

Edited to add that I haven't received the 4.4 update yet.

TAT1SHA

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

@someguy01234

Thank you very much, you just have no idea how much you have helped me. I am traveling most of the time and I take my laptop with me, no internet on it and used to tether it with my phone but after I flashed albinoman's CM 11 4.4 based rom on my S4, tethering got messed up.

P.S : Do I still have to use VPN programs on my laptop or it will bypass the free 500mb internet sharing service itself ??

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

I can't answer that one since I only use their prepaid plan which let me use the full 5gb of the plan. If you get blocked after that, try the Clockwordmod Tether app.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

I'm on ST-ATT and only tether with other mobile devices (my kids' iPods or my tablet). Does anyone know if this will be affected? I don't use it a lot, but it is especially helpful on long car trips.

Edited to add that I haven't received the 4.4 update yet.

I haven't read about anyone using AT&T services being affected by this, only T-Mo.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site

My Nexus 7 is currently tethered to my colleague's N4 (running 4.4) on T-Mobile without issue.

I am not sure what the difference is, could it be he purchased his from Google directly as opposed to T-Mobile?

Thought I do know that others here on this forum and elsewhere are reporting tethering issues since the KitKat update if they have T-Mobile as their carrier.

Dan

Posted via Android Central App