How long does the nexus 4 before Google stops supporting and giving it updates like the galaxy nexus?

Sent from my Awesome Nexus 4 using Taptalk
    11-22-2013 01:55 AM
    Well, it's about a year old now, so I guess another six months at least.

I'd expect it to last until whatever follows the nexus 5 comes out, that's when I'm thinking I'll upgrade.

And remember, your device isn't at the end of it's life yet. It'll still work, just on a older version of Android. And there is always cyanogenmod.
    11-22-2013 02:10 AM
    Well, it's about a year old now, so I guess another six months at least.

I'd expect it to last until whatever follows the nexus 5 comes out, that's when I'm thinking I'll upgrade.

And remember, your device isn't at the end of it's life yet. It'll still work, just on a older version of Android. And there is always cyanogenmod.
    What he said. I'll be grabbing the next nexus phone most likely as well.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    11-22-2013 02:14 AM
    Not even need for CyanogenMod, some one will port over the new version if there is no update, and there is AOSP as well. The main issues is kernel source and Qualcomm proprietary drivers.

sent from tapatalk
    11-22-2013 02:45 AM
    I just got my nexus 4.

Sent from my Awesome Nexus 4 using Taptalk
    Go Ogle likes this.
    11-22-2013 09:52 AM
    The OS update life is 18 months as set by Google. Android 4.4 is probably... maybe.... the last update for the Nexus 4.
    11-22-2013 04:33 PM
    The OS update life is 18 months as set by Google. Android 4.4 is probably... maybe.... the last update for the Nexus 4.
    I hope not -- I imagine the next upgrade is ~6-8 months away, if history is an indicator, so you may be right, but that would be such an amazing waste given the 4-core S4 and Adreno 320 that's powering the N4.

It'll be difficult to defend a position that the hardware is EOL (again, given what's actually powering it) on any technical grounds, except one: I can imagine the Nexus6 (cool name in itself) being 64-bit and coming with 4GB RAM and Android 5.0 Lemonhead (Lifesaver? Licorice? Lollipop?). If that's the case, I can see why it would be unnecessary to have to re-code and re-compile to 32-bit for the N4s (in addition to having to do so to run the 2013 Nexuses*) and then the N4 goes the way of the GNex.

* (incidentally, the plural of 'Nexus' as it's a name, e.g., Lexus = Lexuses -- AC, come for Android, stay for grammar lessons! )
    11-22-2013 06:11 PM
    I hope not -- I imagine the next upgrade is ~6-8 months away, if history is an indicator, so you may be right, but that would be such an amazing waste given the 4-core S4 and Adreno 320 that's powering the N4.

It'll be difficult to defend a position that the hardware is EOL (again, given what's actually powering it) on any technical grounds, except one: I can imagine the Nexus6 (cool name in itself) being 64-bit and coming with 4GB RAM and Android 5.0 Lemonhead (Lifesaver? Licorice? Lollipop?). If that's the case, I can see why it would be unnecessary to have to re-code and re-compile to 32-bit for the N4s (in addition to having to do so to run the 2013 Nexuses*) and then the N4 goes the way of the GNex.

* (incidentally, the plural of 'Nexus' as it's a name, e.g., Lexus = Lexuses -- AC, come for Android, stay for grammar lessons! )
    Lol funny guy you!!

sent from Nexus 4 Posted via Android Central App
    11-22-2013 06:15 PM
    The way Google trimmed most of 4.4 features from the nexus 4. Can you imagine what would happen with 5.0?
    It's the speed things move I guess, but the wording "receive updates direct from Google" should be changed to unless a new device gets released, then you may have to work it out yourself.
    11-23-2013 12:24 AM
    Lol funny guy you!!
    Thank you, thank you. I'm here all week! Be sure to tip your waitresses!

The way Google trimmed most of 4.4 features from the nexus 4. Can you imagine what would happen with 5.0?
    This is what bothers me -- the Nexus is essentially an enthusiast device (read: geek), thus those that buy it are of a different mindset than the 'masses' (yes, there are exceptions; that's irrelevant). I for one don't want a device that's crippled (Appled) for no goddamn good reason one year after release (hardware limitations notwithstanding). Aside from lack of choices, those practices are exactly why I don't have an iPhone -- I'm not sure why Google *appears* to be headed in that direction, however, the tales of KitKat bugs (some rumors, some definitely not) gives me some hope that Google's having major issues with the latest OS (on non-N5s) and thus dumbed it down temporarily to address the problem and still release the Nexus updates as promised. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a 4.4.1 out sometime in Jan. that suddenly makes the N4 an N5 (for practical purposes).

On the other hand, if this Appleing continues and becomes a trend, why should we bother with the Nexus line at all? Why not get the latest Samsung or LG and drop CyanogenMod on it -- at least we'd get every damn AOSP feature and all kinds of great tweaks, be *maybe* 5 months behind the latest and greatest Nexus, and have options (e.g., build materials, removable batteries, and/or ext SD cards), and probably be supported for years.

Of course, option #3 : Will the N5 be the last non-Moto Nexus? I mean, with the support Google's giving the Moto-X, it does stand to reason that the Nexus 6 will be, effectively, the Moto-X2 Developer Edition... it does make an awful lot of sense (business and tech-wise), and if that's so, what better way to wean the Nexus guys away from non-Moto phones than to start to cripple the current line now, so we're not too shocked when that day comes?

And while I'm on my soapbox: here's a far too plausible scenario. Like our computers before, our phones' hardware has gotten very powerful for the current software -- much more powerful than currently necessary and accelerating -- thus extending the hardware's usable life. Unlike computers, though, we're much more at the mercy of the manufacturers; what's the best way to keep us buying the new stuff prematurely, even if we don't actually need to? That's right, remove functionality or drop support altogether because it's been arbitrarily end-of-lifed.

Case in point: my S-II (T-Mo's Qualcomm S3 version) ran faster and smoother on CM10.1 (JB 4.2.2) than it ever did on the official JB 4.1.2 ROM, and that's with the fact that some of the core drivers for the S3 chipset were discontinued for JB4.2. My friend's S-III is running CM10.1 smooth as butter and there's no reason why it couldn't run CM11 (KitKat) just as well, and that's with a 2-core S4 and the old Adreno 225 (or whatever).

I'm off to bed... you kids get off my lawn!!!
    festinator likes this.
    11-23-2013 03:18 AM
    Well, the Nexus 4 will be 18 months old + when the next major release comes so I suppose this is it?
    11-23-2013 04:21 AM
    Well, the Nexus 4 will be 18 months old + when the next major release comes so I suppose this is it?
    Google PLEASE.... just ONE more update.... PLEASE! I hope we can squeeze in one more... the next update will more than likely be the big #5.
    11-23-2013 04:47 PM
    Officially: whatever timetable Google put out.... but Aftermarket: however long the enthusiast community continues to support it... I'm still making great use of my HP TouchPad, and that came out back in 2011!

Posted from my "CrackDroid" Nexus 4 via the Android Central App
    11-23-2013 06:47 PM
    What features are missing on the Nexus 4?

Posted via Android Central App
    11-23-2013 10:30 PM
    What features are missing on the Nexus 4?

Posted via Android Central App

Compared to the Nexus 5 - The Google Experience Launcher and wallpapers (which are probably specific to the Nexus 5). You can still grab the Google Experience Launcher apk if you want it on your Nexus 4.
    11-23-2013 10:50 PM
    There is an N5 port rom for the N4, but mostly you don't even require root to get all the samething. There really isn't any software difference, and with root it would be possible to get the samething on the N5 software wise on the Nexus S. But hardware wise, it's a big list. I would upgrade to the N5 mainly for hardware improvements.
    11-23-2013 11:37 PM