Thread For NEW things noticed About Kit Kat Changes.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I really miss the blue icons in the notification bar.
I like the new logo on the boot screen.
The font is better.
Phone feels snappier.
I like how the clock is missing in the notification bar when on the lock screen.
I miss not being able to control what permissions an app has access to by using an app like App Permission.
The dialer has a great and useful feel to it.
No new wallpapers.
I like the new UI for the alarm clock.
So far all my downloaded apps work fine.... except for Holo Locker (which hasn't been updated in a year).
First 2 digits on the screen clock aren't bold.
Verdict still open for battery life. However, it doesn't seem to be worse.

Last edited:

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Update: Battery life is about the same for my device. The AT&T app doesn't play well with the new update. I downloaded the beta for Apex Launcher and it's pretty good. If you use Apex then I recommend it.

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded the apex beta too. It is odd that they didn't just include the transparency feature to the pro version I already used but whatever. I really like the look of the transparent option.

pashos24

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I love the lock screen when you play music that's prob one of my favorite features so much better than 4.3

Posted via Android Central App

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I love the lock screen when you play music that's prob one of my favorite features so much better than 4.3

Posted via Android Central App

Agreed the Play Music Lock Screen is extremely nice!

It is most likely 100% placebo but the battery life seems improved as if efficiencies in the software are allowing my device to run longer between recharges as I am ending the day at 63% where as before I was ending the day nearer 58%.

Again, I realize there are many things that can affect battery life and KitKat could just be a red herring, but what I am pleased.

Dan

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I also miss the network activity arrows on the blue signal icons.

Sent from my Nexus 4 running Android 4.4.

Those were removed because apparently the constant refreshing and redrawing actually impacted CPU cycles and battery drain, according to Google. You can still find them within the settings, though.

Octaviannn

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I think the colors are better, and also the icons. But the new keyboard is like...i dunno.. *_/!<> changed their places, and the space button at the symbols is smaller now. New symbold like ?∆??Π?℅ were added. And the new emojis are strange but cool :D the colors of the Keyboard sre also cool. The Screenshot symbol on the notification bar is now smaller. And in the notofication bar menu was a new option added:,location...ignire my spelling errors , it's because of the new keyboard :D ..i like KitKat!

Posted from my Nexus 4

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Those were removed because apparently the constant refreshing and redrawing actually impacted CPU cycles and battery drain, according to Google. You can still find them within the settings, though.

Where do you find this in the settings? I find it helpful to have at times.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
So far so good.. Just updated. Havent messed with it much.. But a few observations:

I too miss the blue highlights. Especially in the status bar.

After using the GEL I am glad that those of us with the "old" launcher (ie - those of us with a N4 and not a N5) don't have to have the larger icon size. I really didn't like that.

Being able to switch launchers from the settings is GREAT!

Wallpaper is set differently. The preview screen shows the wallpaper differently than how it looks in the center home screen.

Settings>Accessibility>Power Button Ends Call - was that there before?

There is a "tap to pay" option which appears to enable/disable Google Wallet.

New boot animation is ok. I prefer the previous one.

I also noticed two unusual things. 1) After the installation was complete I had an Android icon where the phone icon used to be in the dock. It went back to a phone after several seconds. 2) See the attached picture - apparently the Kit Kat upgrade involved sending a text message automatically for some reason. Anyone know what that's about?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385419274857.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385419274857.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Ah. Yes you can see the arrows in quick settings. I thought you were saying that there was a way to enable the arrows in the status bar, just like before. I always found that very helpful when I was occasionally trying to diagnose and issue with my data connection.

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Also, when you send a text message the little bubble that pops up on the screen saying "sending message" or "message sent" is slightly different.

Mofozofo

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
my4evuse.jpg

For me, this is one of the most important addition in the update. I guess because I pretty much use it everyday.