Wifi Problems with Kitkat

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Have had Kitkit for about 20 hours and I noticed this afternoon, that Wifi is not turning on automatically when I get home. I went to settings menu, and it shows that it is off and the switch to turn it on is grayed out. I have to reboot the phone to get Wifi on. Has anyone else seen this. By the way, I use Juice defender Ultimate, and even tried to get it to force wifi on, and nothing happens. Disabling juice Defender Ultimate, and Wifi turns on.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Might be an incompatibility issue with KitKat. I've had a number of minor glitches with apps that aren't completely compatible. Have you contacted Juice Defender support? Feedback and support

Mark Gibbons1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I am seeing exactly the same behaviour i.e. with JD enabled I end up with the wi-fi disabled and I'm them unable to reenable it without rebooting the phone.

Regards
Mark

I went through all the settings in Juice Defender Ultimate, and found a few that had changed when the app was updated for Kitkat. Now everything is working normally.....

chau084

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have the same problem. After downloading kitkat, wifi is turned off when the screen is off. And the only way to get it on again is to reboot. As mentioned above, Juice Defender seems to be the cause. I turn on "force reconnect" under wifi in juice defender. I'm not sure if this is the right way to go about this, or if there's more to do. So far, seems like it works

Last edited:

marks7389

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes, exactly the same here both with KRT16O and KRT16S on my 2012 wifi Nexus 7.

I stopped it re-enabling wifi periodically as a work-around. Definitely a fault with Kitkat 4.4 on this hardware; it's not happening on my Nexus 5, nor was it an issue with Jellybean 4.3.

I'm in the process of raising a bug report with Google as I can't see anything relevant currently.

Edit: I've raised a bug report at https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=62818. You can star the issue to get email updates on it.

Last edited:

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes, exactly the same here both with KRT16O and 1RT16S on my 2012 wifi Nexus 7.

I stopped it re-enabling wifi periodically as a work-around. Definitely a fault with Kitkat 4.4 on this hardware; it's not happening on my Nexus 5, nor was it an issue with Jellybean 4.3.

I'm in the process of raising a bug report with Google as I can't see anything relevant currently.

Edit: I've raised a bug report at https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=62818. You can star the issue to get email updates on it.

Out of curiosity, why do you think Google can fix this issue? It sounds unique to Juice Defender, seems like the app dev would be the most likely source for a fix.

marks7389

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Out of curiosity, why do you think Google can fix this issue? It sounds unique to Juice Defender, seems like the app dev would be the most likely source for a fix.

For one thing it affects only the Nexus 7 running Kitkat. If it were a problem with JD, or an incompatability with KitKat I would expect to affect other devices such as my Nexus 5 which it doesn't.

Furthermore on the assumption that JD uses a published API to control the WiFi that should clearly never cause it to enter a state where a reboot is required to restore connectivity.

I don't think we can necessarily assume it is unique to JD. If the problem is a bug that relates to enabling WiFi in the background on this device and Android version it wouldn't show for most people unless using JD or something similar.

That said I have raised it with JD support as well.

Last edited:

marks7389

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
So in summary seems to affect the Nexus 4, 7 (2012 model at least) and 10 but not the Nexus 5 which is working fine for me...

I'm not sure what the JD Wifi Force Reconnect option is supposed to do, but on my Nexus 7 it seems to stop the wifi from being periodically re-enabled. That resolves it (in the same way as disabling the wifi schedule resolves it) at the expense of not getting any incoming emails or similar until you turn the screen on.

Are others seeing similar?

Edit: It's just hung on me with Force Reconnect enabled, so it seems I spoke too soon... Back to disabling the WiFi schedule again.

Last edited:

billdz

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Anyone not using JD having this problem? I am. Have never used Juice Defender. What other app could be causing my problem?
Thanks,
b

John Verpeleti

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Glad I found this thread and keen to see outcome. Same problem with 2012 Nexus 7 and I have Juice Defender. Interesting to see later posts suggesting problem may not be unique to the N7(2012)- JD combination.

oerelithe

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Misery loves company... same problem here, N4 on KitKat. I'm not sure the devs are even supporting this any more -- the most recent released "production" version (3.9.4) was released almost two years ago, and each new 4.x version of the Android OS seems to break it a little bit more.
Yeah, just noticed. Bummer. I bought JD just a month ago. Should've checked b4 purchasing.

billdz

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
It appears my problem has been resolved by deleting an app. Maybe Easy Battery Saver, not sure, I just started deleting apps and did not notice exactly when the wifi came back on. The issue was occurring under the same circumstances as those described by people using JD -- wifi disabled and not possible to enable except by rebooting on my N4 since upgrading to 4.4. All has been fine now for almost 24 hours.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital