Google Nexus 4 - Youtube video to help upgrade to Kitkat 4.4

mohan_168

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I followed the tips mentioned in two video (as detailed below) which I believe is useful and step-by-step to install Kitkat 4.4 onto Nexus 4. I upgraded from 4.3 to 4.4 without encountering any issues on two of my Nexus 4 (stock rom and un-rooted).

Before you watch the video, ensure if your laptop (Windows in this case) is able to detect Nexus 4. If the driver installation fails, you might want to download and use "Naked drivers" as posted on xda.
[ADB/FB/APX Driver] Universal Naked Driver 0.72 (We dont need no stinking HTC Sync) - xda-developers

Secondly you might want to download android-SDK which is being talked about in the first video;
Android SDK | Android Developers
Scroll down where you see "DOWNLOAD FOR OTHER PLATFORMS" and choose the appropriate one.

and Kitkat 4.4 ROM which is installed in the second video (assuming you are upgrading from 4.3 to 4.4, use the below link)
http://android.clients.google.com/p....signed-occam-KRT16S-from-JWR66Y.d1b99704.zip

How to install the Android SDK, ADB and Fastboot on your PC
How to install the Android SDK, ADB and Fastboot on your PC - YouTube

Manually Update the Nexus 4 to Android 4.4 KitKat
Manually Update the Nexus 4 to Android 4.4 KitKat - YouTube

Hope the tutorials created by respective authors help.

Last edited:

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I watched the video first and then went to download the android sdk file used in the video. As it was downloading i noticed that the file i was downloading was 7 times the size of the file downloaded in the video. So i went back to the developers download page and noticed the link your provided was for the entire adt bundle and not the android sdk file. In order to get only the android sdk file used in the video you need to scroll down the page and choose "download for other platforms" and download this file: http://dl.google.com/android/android-sdk_r22.3-windows.zip :)

Once i was done i tried to find adb using the command prompt and it didnt recognize it. Am i screwed?

Last edited:

mohan_168

May 17, 2013
Visit site
itic, if your device is not being recognized, you could un-install the driver and try "naked drivers". I faced the same issue when adb failed to recognize my device.
Let me know if that helps, else we could troubleshoot from there.

Sicily1918

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
One error in the video: near the end, the build (KRT16S) that shows IS THE LATEST as of this writing -- the 'upgrade' they suggest to KRT16O is older, so don't do it and don't bother looking for it.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I watched the video first and then went to download the android sdk file used in the video. As it was downloading i noticed that the file i was downloading was 7 times the size of the file downloaded in the video. So i went back to the developers download page and noticed the link your provided was for the entire adt bundle and not the android sdk file. In order to get only the android sdk file used in the video you need to scroll down the page and choose "download for other platforms" and download this file: http://dl.google.com/android/android-sdk_r22.3-windows.zip :)

Once i was done i tried to find adb using the command prompt and it didnt recognize it. Am i screwed?

Install your adb//fastboot drivers: Google USB Driver | Android Developers

You can't use adb in stock recovery except "adb sideload", not even typing adb devices will work. You can enable USB Debugging on your device and try typing "adb devices", but for security I recommend having it turned off when not needed.

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

If you have done everything right..installed the driver and platform tools..and you open the command prompt in the platform tools folder..then type ... Fastboot devices ... If you get a return your device is recognized and you can proceed. Note the return will be a bunch of numbers and letters..your serial number if I am not mistaken.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
@ first i go the the error: closed. then i read about using "adb usb" prior to sending the file. The last time i tried everything i got the device not found error. I found a bunch of drivers but the sources kind of made me nervous and i couldnt figure how out to install them ie: were do i install them?