Retrieving photos after water damage??

HoomHow

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, first time poster here ...

I had my Nexus 4 for about 7 months and took lots of pictures and videos of my kids. Then we went on vacation and, unfortunately, went for a swim with my phone.

All I get is a red flashing LED when I try to turn it on. I tried Power + Volume but that didn't work. I ended up bringing it in to a local phone repair place. After keeping it for a few days they told me there wasn't anything they could do.

I understand that my phone is probably gone for good but is there any way to retrieve my photos and videos? I guess I wasn't signed in to gmail on that phone because I don't think my photos are in the cloud.

PS - I did end up buying a new Nexus 4 because I really liked my phone but I would really like to get my photos off my old phone. Any thoughts?

Thank you! Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
you could try to connect your phone to a Windows PC via microUSB cord and then search for and move the photos to your PC.

good luck.

HoomHow

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Would this work even if I don't have power to my phone? I just get the blinking red LED when I try to turn it on ...

you could try to connect your phone to a Windows PC via microUSB cord and then search for and move the photos to your PC.

good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't you have your phone set to back up photos on Google or Drop box?

I don't think so ... I am pretty new to this. Is there any way to check to see if I did?

Sir Alex

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
The files were saved in the internal SD card. I think the repair shop should be able to retrieve the SD card. Or you could just carefully open up the phone and try to get to the card yourself. Then use a card reader to retrieve the files.

My assumption is that the internal SD card is just a standard card. I am thinking it's similar to getting your files from a hard drive in a dead computer.

c_hri_s

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Afraid not - there is no 'SD' card inside, it's just a virtual card stored on flash.

Sure, the data is there on the flash chip, but there's no cost-effective way to get it off as it would involve desoldering and/or mounting the chip on another board.

Best bet is to try the rice trick for a few days ... then stick it on charge and leave it for 24 hours and then try to turn it on.

HoomHow

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Afraid not - there is no 'SD' card inside, it's just a virtual card stored on flash.

Sure, the data is there on the flash chip, but there's no cost-effective way to get it off as it would involve desoldering and/or mounting the chip on another board.

Best bet is to try the rice trick for a few days ... then stick it on charge and leave it for 24 hours and then try to turn it on.

Hmm. I did try the rice trick. Unfortunately it didn't work. Gekko thanks for the link. That will be good for next time but I really would like to get the pictures that I had in there.

Does anyone know if the repair people at LG would take a look at it? Or any other place to send the phone away to?

Argg this is frustrating ... Thanks for your help everyone. I appreciate it.

Frank Robey

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
A friend of mine had another phone (not Nexus 4) get wet and this is what worked for him...you can also try to get some of those little dessicant packs and use them rather than the cat litter, they're recommended more than rice/cat litter since I guess they absorb more water....good luck and I hope you get your pictures!!

"24 hours in rice wasn't enough. So I wrapped it in a paper towel, put a small amount of cat litter in a ziplock baggie, stuck the wrapped phone in it and sealed it shut. I then propped it up with the battery opening down where the hot air from the furnace would warm it up. Left it overnight and it worked"

There is also another thread about this with some interesting suggestions...and possible fixes...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/233246-nexus-4-water-damage-help.html

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Likely your motherboard is already damaged, but if the damage isn't too bad you could be just getting the red light of death that affect alot of Nexus devices. Generally you have to replace the battery, some people suggest charging the battery externally, but this is dangerous and not recommended, since its water damaged it's not a good idea to reuse the battery. You can buy a battery and replace it, but it's a long shot. You can try some recommendation from this thread too: http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/312151-solved-nexus-4-wont-turn-charge.html

After being dumped in the water, you should disassemble the device immediately and put it in bag of rice for 24hours, that likely would have saved it.

PS. The notion that the a Nexus would use an 'actual' microsd for it's storage is ridiculous. MicroSD are slow, even class 10 compared to a good integrated flash memory. Not to mention inefficient engineering in this case, and the fact that Google do not allow microSD in their Nexus due to security reason, having an actual microSD in the device would be a huge security issue.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
Dropping phone into the water is the worst situation any phone can get into. There are many tricks to fix water damaged phone and also, there are some things you mustn't do such as-
Do NOT press any buttons
Do NOT try to switch your phone on
Do NOT shake your phone
Do NOT use a hairdryer to dry your phone
Do NOT put your phone in uncooked rice or cat litter
Do NOT use a Vacuum Cleaner

Last edited by a moderator: