If it ain't broke...

Mike_47

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey friends,
So, I got that 4.4 notice in my N4, System update downloaded... Touch to install. Then I headed for the forums, this one and the Android community in G+. I've been trying to learn what the KitKat benefits are, and what the hangups are.

It's like this, I'm not one who likes to talk to his phone, and I do like to write and tap. Do I really have to update the OS in the N4? I love the phone and it works very well with OS 4.3. Let's hear. Thanks! ;)

btgrave

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, you don't have to update it. Do what you want.

The only benefits of the 4.4 update is that the phone will run smoother and faster and it will update to the new Smart Dialer. Other than that....nothing much - not even new wallpapers.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's worth it yet. Flash isn't working like it did with 4.3 and it disables tethering for many carrier plans if they do not include tethering. I was reading over the bugs thread and I don't really want to deal with those problems right now.

There is nothing wrong with ignoring the update. I don't like that it automatically downloads but at least it takes only 230MB of space or so.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's worth it yet. Flash isn't working like it did with 4.3 and it disables tethering for many carrier plans if they do not include tethering. I was reading over the bugs thread and I don't really want to deal with those problems right now.

There is nothing wrong with ignoring the update. I don't like that it automatically downloads but at least it takes only 230MB of space or so.

I think 4.4 totally abandons flash.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey friends,
So, I got that 4.4 notice in my N4, System update downloaded... Touch to install. Then I headed for the forums, this one and the Android community in G+. I've been trying to learn what the KitKat benefits are, and what the hangups are.

It's like this, I'm not one who likes to talk to his phone, and I do like to write and tap. Do I really have to update the OS in the N4? I love the phone and it works very well with OS 4.3. Let's hear. Thanks! ;)

Like others have said you do not need to update. If you want to get rid of the notification, long press on it, select App Info, and uncheck show notifications. It should vanish and trouble you no more. If you decide you want to update later, you can always go into your about phone settings and check for an update.

Tuco Ramirez

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I found kit Kat to be underwhelming to be honest. Wasn't worth all the hype. I especially don't like the new icons. They cheapen the look of the phone. IMHO.

Sicily1918

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I found kit Kat to be underwhelming to be honest. Wasn't worth all the hype. I especially don't like the new icons. They cheapen the look of the phone. IMHO.
Yeah, I agree. I actually removed the GEL and went back to the N4 launcher...

The under-the-hood stuff seems to be OK so far, and my N7[SUP]2012[/SUP] is running much smoother than with 4.3 (don't see much difference on the N4)... also, I actually like the new system sounds, but I have to admit to missing Holo blue...

Mike_47

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Like others have said you do not need to update. If you want to get rid of the notification, long press on it, select App Info, and uncheck show notifications. It should vanish and trouble you no more. If you decide you want to update later, you can always go into your about phone settings and check for an update.

Thanks for your input. I'm taking my time with the KitKat update. How do I get rid of the OS update in the notification bar? I tried a long press, and nothing happened. Thanks...

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your input. I'm taking my time with the KitKat update. How do I get rid of the OS update in the notification bar? I tried a long press, and nothing happened. Thanks...

When you pull the notification shade down and long press on it, does it not pop up with a little "app info" option? I can't check this myself as I've already updated both my devices, but I could have sworn it did.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

I got rid of the notification by long pressing on the kitkat update in the notification bar. When you long press, select get info. When the window opens, uncheck the notifications box. Ignore the warning, app notifications will still work.

Mike Dupp

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

You can also get rid of it by going to Settings/apps/all/Google Services Framework and unchecking the Show Notifications box.

dobiegillis

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
When you pull the notification shade down and long press on it, does it not pop up with a little "app info" option? I can't check this myself as I've already updated both my devices, but I could have sworn it did.

Yes it does.

I might downgrade. I'm underwhelmed and loathe how the stock apps are so white. I also lost the old version of Google maps which they f***ked up months ago by removing the zoom buttons. I had disabled auto update of apps at that point and was manually updating around Google maps to hold onto the old version. Sigh, should have thought before i installed kitkat.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes it does.

I might downgrade. I'm underwhelmed and loathe how the stock apps are so white. I also lost the old version of Google maps which they f***ked up months ago by removing the zoom buttons. I had disabled auto update of apps at that point and was manually updating around Google maps to hold onto the old version. Sigh, should have thought before i installed kitkat.

I think you can uninstall the Maps update using the Play Store. Load up Maps in the Play Store on your phone and check, should be a button reading "Uninstall Update" or similar.

dobiegillis

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I think you can uninstall the Maps update using the Play Store. Load up Maps in the Play Store on your phone and check, should be a button reading "Uninstall Update" or similar.

No I'm pretty sure maps is part of the kitkat update as a system app. When I go to play my only option is to update it.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
No I'm pretty sure maps is part of the kitkat update as a system app. When I go to play my only option is to update it.

Ah well, worth a shot. On the upside Google is constantly tinkering with Maps, hopefully they'll bring back the features you loved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21