A mate at work showed me his Nexus 5...........

Andy Bell

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
..............and I wasn't overly impressed.

The larger screen isn't really all that much larger, I opened the same web page on both phones and there wasn't a very noticeable difference in quality. Scrolling through the page felt a little better on the N5, one swipe took me further down the page.

The biggest thing for me though was how cheap the N5 felt in hand, it felt really light and plasicky. The build quality of the N4 definitely feels better to me.

Overall I'm glad I didn't take the plunge and order one without physically taking a look, I'll stick with my N4 for the time being I think.

Andy.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
You should post this in the Nexus 5 section for a fairer discussion.

sent from tapatalk

Doing so could (would) be seen as “flaming. " Everybody has their own opinions. I think the Nexus 4 is a better looking phone... but hands down the Nexus 5 has better specs.

corolla90

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

The larger screen isn't really all that much larger, I opened the same web page on both phones and there wasn't a very noticeable difference in quality. Scrolling through the page felt a little better on the N5, one swipe took me further down the page.

The biggest thing for me though was how cheap the N5 felt in hand, it felt really light and plasicky. The build quality of the N4 definitely feels better to me.

Overall I'm glad I didn't take the plunge and order one without physically taking a look, I'll stick with my N4 for the time being I think.

Andy.

I'm right there with you. I actually had purchased the N5, but I just love the way the N4 looks and feels in my hand; whereas for me, the N5 felt too light (could be related to being so used to the N4) and a bit taller than I'd prefer. I also found that web pages opened up relatively the same speed. Apps definitely opened up quicker on the N5 (to be expected with better internals), but otherwise, I didn't find keeping the N5 to be that great of an upgrade for me. I will say this, though; the screen on the N5 was much brigher in comparis to the N4 with both set on auto brightness.

All this said, I couldn't help but purchase a Moto X today b/c of the Cyber Monday sale. TBD whether I sell my N4 or keep it as a backup, or end up returning the MotoX.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Andy.

We can't fault you for how you feel, but plastic will tend to feel less like glass than glass will.

I like the lightness of the phone. I hold it lying down a lot and I appreciate the lighter weight.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm sticking with this bad boy for another year. I've only had it for 11 months due to shipping issues. Anyways internals is still ok not as good as the n5 but hey it works perfectly.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm sticking with this bad boy for another year. I've only had it for 11 months due to shipping issues. Anyways internals is still ok not as good as the n5 but hey it works perfectly.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.

Same here.... especially with the 4.4 update and possibly one more update. The specs of the Nexus 5 are better, but not so much so that I'm going to update to it from a phone I've only had for a year.

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
You should post this in the Nexus 5 section for a fairer discussion.

You won't get a fair discussion there though. I have had my N5 for about a month now after having a N4 since Jan 2013. I have given the N4 to my wife but personally I feel the build quality of the N4 is a little more premium. The N4 with 4.4 and GEL gives you functionally almost the same phone anyhow, minus LTE/4G.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
As soon as 4.4 actually works correctly, I'll re-install it on my N4.

Beyond that, I have been exceptionally happy with my N4. I also don't live in or near an area that has LTE or is likely to get it for... who knows... 6 months? A year? More?... so there's no pressing reason for me to upgrade.

Besides, I basically waited until the N4 came along to "upgrade" from my EVO 4G. I can afford to wait at least that long, if not longer, for my next upgrade. By then, hopefully LTE will be further refined, along with the power requirements for it, so that it will be as trivial to support as standard 3G and 3.5G are today. And, can you imagine the specs by then? :D

Posted via Android Central App

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
As soon as 4.4 actually works correctly, I'll re-install it on my N4.

Beyond that, I have been exceptionally happy with my N4. I also don't live in or near an area that has LTE or is likely to get it for... who knows... 6 months? A year? More?... so there's no pressing reason for me to upgrade.

Besides, I basically waited until the N4 came along to "upgrade" from my EVO 4G. I can afford to wait at least that long, if not longer, for my next upgrade. By then, hopefully LTE will be further refined, along with the power requirements for it, so that it will be as trivial to support as standard 3G and 3.5G are today. And, can you imagine the specs by then? :D

You are far more patient then me. I can't wait that long between phones. Although my interest is shifting to Motorola the easy root and such of the Nexus draw me back in.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
You are far more patient then me. I can't wait that long between phones. Although my interest is shifting to Motorola the easy root and such of the Nexus draw me back in.

But what about bootloader? Personally I never buy a device if I don't know I can't unlock the bootloader. The Moto X doesn't seem to have alot of roms. Although I stick with stock nowaday, having lots of devs is an assurance. I might have to get the Moto G for family members though since it's so cheap.

I used to switch phone every month. Now I don't even want to change from the Nexus 4 since stock Android is so good and I can't see myself using Touchwiz or Sense or any other third party layouts anymore.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
But what about bootloader? Personally I never buy a device if I don't know I can't unlock the bootloader. The Moto X doesn't seem to have alot of roms. Although I stick with stock nowaday, having lots of devs is an assurance. I might have to get the Moto G for family members though since it's so cheap.

I used to switch phone every month. Now I don't even want to change from the Nexus 4 since stock Android is so good and I can't see myself using Touchwiz or Sense or any other third party layouts anymore.

Yeah that's what I meant. The unlockability of the Nexus lineup tempts me back all the time. I just want a really want good speakers, awesome camera and great battery life on the next Nexus phone. The those 3 things were the downfall of the Nexus 4 IMO otherwise it is perfect

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that's what I meant. The unlockability of the Nexus lineup tempts me back all the time. I just want a really want good speakers, awesome camera and great battery life on the next Nexus phone. The those 3 things were the downfall of the Nexus 4 IMO otherwise it is perfect

I think by the next Nexus we will get a great camera since the current is decent, it has been progressing since the Nexus 4.

As for good speaker you have to think about which manufacturer have good ones and they eventually end up working with Google next. Oppo and HTC come to mind for good speakers. I don't have high hope since no Nexus phones ever had great speakers.

Battery life is going to be the same, Google doesn't seem to care for big batteries.

I would like Asus or Oppo to make a Nexus next. I actually don't think it will be a Motorola because Google might not want to show that they're monopolizing, but who knows, I wouldn't mind Motorola good reception and battery life, better too if made in US.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I think by the next Nexus we will get a great camera since the current is decent, it has been progressing since the Nexus 4.

As for good speaker you have to think about which manufacturer have good ones and they eventually end up working with Google next. Oppo and HTC come to mind for good speakers. I don't have high hope since no Nexus phones ever had great speakers.

Battery life is going to be the same, Google doesn't seem to care for big batteries.

I would like Asus or Oppo to make a Nexus next. I actually don't think it will be a Motorola because Google might not want to show that they're monopolizing, but who knows, I wouldn't mind Motorola good reception and battery life, better too if made in US.

I hope HTC makes the next Nexus actually.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't thrilled either. My N4 will be a year old in February and I really don't use it as my phone much anymore. I bought an iPhone 5S and will use that till whatever the next Nexus may be. None of the other Android phones interested me. If Samsung updated the OS in their phones at a reasonable rate, I may have gotten an S4. Owning iPhones and Nexus devices spoiled me with the fast updates.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't thrilled either. My N4 will be a year old in February and I really don't use it as my phone much anymore. I bought an iPhone 5S and will use that till whatever the next Nexus may be. None of the other Android phones interested me. If Samsung updated the OS in their phones at a reasonable rate, I may have gotten an S4. Owning iPhones and Nexus devices spoiled me with the fast updates.
Moto X is like a mix between the N5 and iPhone 5S :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke