No data, No wifi, still able to send/recieve text messages?

HTCTundaBow

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
So, today I let my Solavei account expire, and make the switch to straight talk. The interesting part is, the entire day I was without data or a wifi connection (after I cancelled Solavei and before I enabled Straight talk), But I was still able to send and receive text messages using the new Hangout SMS app. Keep in mind, the stock messenger would not work, and MMs still didn't work. I'm not complaining at all, but why was this possible? I had zero service and zero wifi. I couldn't make a phone call, browse the web, or send a text using the stock messenger. But, Hangouts app allowed me to send/receive text messages all day.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I want that! Hahaha Did you have 'bars' in your phone? I mean, even if your contract was up or cancelled, did you see the signal strength? If so, it might be either a system glitch or a running promotion. My carrier, for instance, would not charge for using Facebook or Twitter from your phone, so even if you had no data available or (if pre-paid) you ran out of credit, you could still use Facebook and Twitter for that period.

HTCTundaBow

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I want that! Hahaha Did you have 'bars' in your phone? I mean, even if your contract was up or cancelled, did you see the signal strength? If so, it might be either a system glitch or a running promotion. My carrier, for instance, would not charge for using Facebook or Twitter from your phone, so even if you had no data available or (if pre-paid) you ran out of credit, you could still use Facebook and Twitter for that period.

I know right! I did have signal bars, but when I tried to make a phone call it said "Your Solavei service has been suspended. Please pay your bill. blah blah blah" And the stock messenger would not allow me to send or receive messages. the new Hangouts app would though. Weird. If all I used my phone for was texting, I wouldn't have paid another bill! haha.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that sounds like what happened with Facebook/Twitter with my carrier. You didn't get service for anything else if your bill was overdue or your prepaid credit ran out, but you could still use Facebook and Twitter for free. That or Google's just magical and has never actually needed carriers to work. Actually, soon you won't even need the phone, it'll latch onto your nervous system and you'll start messaging with Hangouts "Spinal Cord" Edition.

HTCTundaBow

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that sounds like what happened with Facebook/Twitter with my carrier. You didn't get service for anything else if your bill was overdue or your prepaid credit ran out, but you could still use Facebook and Twitter for free. That or Google's just magical and has never actually needed carriers to work. Actually, soon you won't even need the phone, it'll latch onto your nervous system and you'll start messaging with Hangouts "Spinal Cord" Edition.

lol, that's what I'm hoping for when Google takes over the world!

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Carriers sometimes leave the text messaging capabilities on for a few days when the account lapses. They usually do this so they can send you alerts that you need to come pay your bill.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
... But I was still able to send and receive text messages using the new Hangout SMS app. Keep in mind, the stock messenger would not work, and MMs still didn't work. I'm not complaining at all, but why was this possible?.

Texting (regarding SMS) is a very low bandwidth way of communicating, text messages just don't require much to transfer from service to service. Apparently Solavei when cancelling your account did disable your phone number and any mobile data service but your phone still has its basic cellular connectivity. (Note at any time, even if you have WiFi and mobile data disabled as long as there's a cell tower within range you can still make 911 emergency calls.) Mobile data, what you were paying Solavei for, works through cellular but the cellular connection is there regardless. Your stock messenger app was most likely tied to your now inactive Solavei number, with Hangouts using your Google Voice number whichever phone carrier you use doesn't affect it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon