please help!!! my Nexus 4 wont take screen shots

Troothdotcom

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
So here's the deal the power button works fine. The volume - key works fine also but when I try to take a screen shot it just won't. Either my volume just goes down or my screen turns off. I'm running stock 4.4.2. Thanks for the help!!!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
You need to press volume immediately after power and hold both. Also, if that's not working take a look at apps in the play store to take screen shots with.

kazza295

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
You need to hold the two buttons down for a couple of seconds not just press them quickly

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Troothdotcom

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I've been taking screen shots with no problems for the last year. I know how, what im saying it that its not longer working for me. Is there a setting I could have moved? Or maybe a problem with 4.4.2?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
It may only be the phone has gotten slow. My phone (not the n5) was stalling during screenshots I took yesterday. Sometimes it gets tied up.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Karrott9

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I've had this problem a couple of times. I had to restart the phone and once the phone booted up it was able to take screenshots again.

Posted via Android Central App

black_droid

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I just experienced this today and the menu to power off the device wasn't coming up when I hit the power button. What I had to do was reboot the phone by holding the power button and the center arrow button simultaneously...which rebooted the device & screenshots started working again.

duggcom

May 11, 2014
Visit site
OK so I read this forum and others for help with this problem and found no solution that helped me. I then messed around with it for a while. It seems to me you need to use the same method as before but press volume button closer to the middle, but still slightly to volume down side, while pressing power off button. As people say, it might take slightly longer to capture but only by a split second. Very confusing and frustrating but basically practice until you get the knack for it.... Hope this helps!! Happy screenshotting!!

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
OK so I read this forum and others for help with this problem and found no solution that helped me. I then messed around with it for a while. It seems to me you need to use the same method as before but press volume button closer to the middle, but still slightly to volume down side, while pressing power off button. As people say, it might take slightly longer to capture but only by a split second. Very confusing and frustrating but basically practice until you get the knack for it.... Hope this helps!! Happy screenshotting!!
Whoever said to press in a different place is confused... there are three buttons on the Nexus 4, Power, Volume Up and Volume Down... that is it. It doesn't matter if you press the ends or middle of the buttons, there are only 3 buttons. in some situations and some cases (meaning phone cases) the buttons may be off slightly or pressing the center may depress both volume buttons at the same time.

Screenshot is the same on KitKat as on JellyBean, assuming you haven't made a change which would disable or modify this action, press and hold POWER+VOL DN until the it takes, if it doesn't work you have a problem... it could be physical such as a malfunctioning button, or software issues.

soyjoypanda

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Actually... They meant to say that you should press the power button and the middle main button that appears on the screen (beside the back button and the activity log button). I just did it and was able to restart my phone. Just note that you have to hold down those buttons for a little longer than 5 seconds and then let go to allow the phone to turn off...

Good luck!

clym88

May 27, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue from time to time as well. I also noticed when i can't use the snapshot function, holding the power button doesn't give me the "turn off" function as well.

Restarting the phone takes all the problems away... until it happens again.

Karrott9

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue from time to time as well. I also noticed when i can't use the snapshot function, holding the power button doesn't give me the "turn off" function as well.

Restarting the phone takes all the problems away... until it happens again.

^^^I have this issue daily. Along with the black screen of death.

Posted via Android Central App