How to get dial pad on opening phone

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
When I open the phone app to make a call the app opens to the recent call screen. How do I get it to open at the dial pad screen?

Posted via Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
When I open the phone app to make a call the app opens to the recent call screen. How do I get it to open at the dial pad screen?

If you are using the recent update, 4.4.2, there will be an option in the bottom with several squares. That's the dialer app.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes I know that, what I am looking to do is have the dialer be the default window when the app opens instead of the window that shows now which is the recent calls

jimrebello

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
This is a new "feature" in kit kat. I think the only way to to get the dialer as the default is to install a different dialer from the play store.

Peeter Parelo

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue and asked guys in the office to develop a solution for me. Result is an app that you can place on your home screen and that opens dialpad for you. I can't post links here but you can find the app in XDA by searching for "Classic dialer for KitKat and Lollipop"

sbjforumman

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I know it's been several months since you posted but I can't seem to find anything on XDA under "Classic dialer for KitKat and Lollipop." Has the name changed or have you pulled it from xda for some reason? This is a solution to one of my biggest pet peeves about android and so I'm really excited to find it. Please help me find this app so that I can have my phone Open to dialpad by default. Thank you!

UPDATE
I was able to locate the link finally. For anyone else who wants it, the link is http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/classic-dialpad-kitkat-lollipop-t2942320

Last edited:

GazeboDweeb

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
YEAH!!! WTF? A 'PHONE' function that doesn't function as a phone? How it the helpful. THE FIRST THING that should pop up is the dial pad, I want to use the PHONE to make a call. If I wanted recent calls or contacts I would open "CONTACTS". Let's get this FIXED!!!

clementedelacruz

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
Totally agree as well -- the phone app should open to the t9 keypad phone dialer.

One of the things I like most about Android is the fact that they have speed dial on their t9 keypad. This is something I rely on a lot.

If the phone app opens to Contacts (useless since there's a dedicated Contacts icon anyway) or recents (same thing as contacts, really, just no longer alphabetical), it negates the speed dial advantage. There should be a setting that lets you choose whether or not to let the phone icon open to the t9 keypad or something else.

OfficiallyUnknown

Nov 17, 2018
Visit site
I know this is an older thread, but I was recently having this same issue, and a search pulled up this thread. I recently figured it out, and wanted to post how in case anyone is still wanting the dial-pad/keypad to open by default, without having to install any additional apps.

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S8 Active, but it should be the same as far as this particular topic is concerned.

Open the Phone app from your home screen, make sure the keypad is showing, then, click the ellipse (three dots in your right-hand corner), then select "Open to keypad", and you're done. You should get a tooltip pop-up stating "Phone will always open in keypad view."

Even if you click the back button, which will take you to the Recents view, click back again to close the app, now, click the Phone app icon again, and it should always open in keypad view.

Hope this helps...

Taz Singh

Dec 20, 2018
Visit site
Hi, I have just bought umidigi z2 but my dial pad doesn't work during call. For eg..after making a call..when prompted to press 1 , or 2 etc etc for further service..dial pad doesn't work. Plz help me. Thanks. I have tried factory hard reset.