Spotify on N4 - how to get continuous play (no sleep)?

billdz

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I've been enjoying listening to Spotify music on my N4 since they made it available for free. Only problem is that the music stops playing after a couple of songs unless I keep the screen on. Does this have something to do with power settings, the phone goes to sleep when the screen is off? The only power setting control I can find is on Settings > Display > Sleep, which allows adjustment of how long the screen stay on. I don't need the screen to be on but would like for Spotify to keep running even when the screen is off. Is there any way to do this? Is the issue with Spotify or with the N4?

Thanks,
b

Last edited:

sibeans

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Its possible that you have an app that can control deep sleep, I had issues before with phone calls dropping after exactly 5 minutes only to realize that I had an app that was the culprit.

Posted via Android Central App

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I have this same issue... Spotify plays exactly two songs then stops, I noticed that everytime I unblank the screen quickly when this occurs it always says "No Internet Connection" at the bottom for an instant, yet the internet is fine. I think this might be related to something in WiFi settings (perhaps WiFi Optimization???) but gave up trying and switched to something else (Rdio and Google Music) for now until i get time to look into it further.

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I have this same issue... Spotify plays exactly two songs then stops, I noticed that everytime I unblank the screen quickly when this occurs it always says "No Internet Connection" at the bottom for an instant, yet the internet is fine. I think this might be related to something in WiFi settings (perhaps WiFi Optimization???) but gave up trying and switched to something else (Rdio and Google Music) for now until i get time to look into it further.

Have you got WiFi on during sleep enabled? Just an idea...

billdz

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I tried reinstalling the app and verified that I have set wifi on during sleep to Always (although i have the problem while driving in the car, when I am not using wifi). Unlike acejavelin, my app does not always stop after two songs; it varies how many songs play before it stops. But it always stops at the end of a song, unlike Pandora, where the song stops in the middle if I lose the cell signal. Guess it is a flaw in the app or maybe when it stops it means the cell signal has been lost.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Have you got WiFi on during sleep enabled? Just an idea...

WiFi On During Sleep is set to Always... Pandora, Rdio, SiriusXM, and Play Music will all play for hours with no issues without touching the device.

billdz

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
WiFi On During Sleep is set to Always... Pandora, Rdio, SiriusXM, and Play Music will all play for hours with no issues without touching the device.
Does the issue even occur when you are connected via wifi? In my case, the problem has occurred only in my car, with the phone connected via celluar data service (T-Mobile).

Which leads to another question: I am aware of the Wifi On During Sleep setting, is there anything similar for cell data connection, e.g., Data On During Sleep - Always? I have never seen anything like that.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Does the issue even occur when you are connected via wifi? In my case, the problem has occurred only in my car, with the phone connected via celluar data service (T-Mobile).

Which leads to another question: I am aware of the Wifi On During Sleep setting, is there anything similar for cell data connection, e.g., Data On During Sleep - Always? I have never seen anything like that.
I can only verify this happens when connected to WiFi, I generally do not stream music when on mobile data.

Mobile data is "always on" when in sleep mode, unless you are manually toggling it off or using an app like Greenify or JuiceDefender.

billdz

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I can only verify this happens when connected to WiFi, I generally do not stream music when on mobile data.

Mobile data is "always on" when in sleep mode, unless you are manually toggling it off or using an app like Greenify or JuiceDefender.
Yes, I bet you are right, I do use a battery saver app, that must be it. But it does not explain why you are having a similar issue on wifi.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I bet you are right, I do use a battery saver app, that must be it. But it does not explain why you are having a similar issue on wifi.
Could this be an issue with the "free" version? I don't remember this happening when I was on the premium trial version.

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Could this be an issue with the "free" version? I don't remember this happening when I was on the premium trial version.

I don't think so, as I use the free version on my N5. Also, I noticed that after a few songs I get ads which sometimes don't play properly (the sound 'blanks out') - after 30 secs when the ads are finished the music starts play again. Perhaps, since it didn't happen in the no-ad trial, that is happening however for some reasons it stops playing the music afterwards.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't think so, as I use the free version on my N5. Also, I noticed that after a few songs I get ads which sometimes don't play properly (the sound 'blanks out') - after 30 secs when the ads are finished the music starts play again. Perhaps, since it didn't happen in the no-ad trial, that is happening however for some reasons it stops playing the music afterwards.

Played with this off and on all night at work with the same 40 song playlist set to shuffle all... Every time the same, 2 songs and stop. Let it sit for 3-5 minutes each time to see if it would start again and nothing, after that time I would unlock the screen and the Spotify app would be there as if I had hit pause and after a second or two a little notification bar would pop up that said No Internet Connection for a second or so and then I could restart the playlist. Switched to Rdio and let it play for almost an hour with no trouble, switch back to Spotify and have the same issues again. Switch to Sirius XM and let that play for a while and it was fine. Switch back to Spotify same problems again. Switch to Pandora and that played fine as well for another half hour. Tried Spotify one last time and at the end of the second song it stopped again. I don't know what to do now, other than just switch to Rdio or something else.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Played with this off and on all night at work with the same 40 song playlist set to shuffle all... Every time the same, 2 songs and stop. Let it sit for 3-5 minutes each time to see if it would start again and nothing, after that time I would unlock the screen and the Spotify app would be there as if I had hit pause and after a second or two a little notification bar would pop up that said No Internet Connection for a second or so and then I could restart the playlist. Switched to Rdio and let it play for almost an hour with no trouble, switch back to Spotify and have the same issues again. Switch to Sirius XM and let that play for a while and it was fine. Switch back to Spotify same problems again. Switch to Pandora and that played fine as well for another half hour. Tried Spotify one last time and at the end of the second song it stopped again. I don't know what to do now, other than just switch to Rdio or something else.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Yeah, that is what happens to me except after 30 seconds the music starts playing again. The only thing I can think of is to reinstall the app, or reinstall and create a new account and then perhaps try your account on another phone.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
OI did try clearing data on the app and restarting it, same result, but I didn't try reinstalling it.

I will try again on Friday night by installing the app on my HTC Rezound running Evervolv KitKat and see if it does the same thing.

No one at this job (part time job besides my regular full time one) has an Android phone that uses Spotify, but several iPhone users have it and they don't have this issue, so I think I can rule out it being a network issue at this location.

Its just strange...

EDIT: Loaded this up on my Rezound and tried well driving around for work, although I was never able to get more than 4 songs in a row to play uninterrupted, it had nothing to do with Spotify (phone calls, texts, emails, get out of vehicle and needed phone, etc), it played continuously with no issues on mobile data. Thinking this might be something specific to my N4, will probably try uninstalling and reinstalling soon.

EDIT2: Well, may have spoke too soon, did it to me on my Rezound as well over lunch... Just stopped, full 4G signal, and where I expected an ad to play nothing, let it sit for almost 5 minutes and nothing. Unblanked and similar to what it does on my N4, just like stop was pressed.

Last edited:

billdz

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
There is a Spotify forum and it appears this is a known issue:
[Android] Music Stops Playing after Several Tracks
Thread: 635330,
Description:
The android application stops playing after several tracks.
To reproduce:
Seems to randomly occur on both premium and free playback.
It is suspected the issue on free playback may be when the application tries to load a commercial.
Workaround:
None: Restart music manually.
Additional information:
None at present.
If you are having this issue, can you please post:
What make and model of phone you are using.
Your android version.
Your Spotify version.
If you are using Free/Unlimited/Free
For Premium users: Does this happen in offline mode?
If you have any local files synced from your computer to your android device.
Thanks!
[Android] Music Stops Playing after Several Tracks - The Spotify Community

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800