Location is on even though its off?

sahartu

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi :D
First of all id like to say that this forum is awesome and it helped me a lot, I'm glad that I registered.
Anyways Gcm service, Nlp location and Google location manager are on running apps, android system is using my location in app ops but the location settings are off.
Any ideas?

Last edited:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Are all of your location services off or just GPS? I've noticed that even with GPS off lately that the accuracy of my location is surprisingly accurate. Not always but enough that I've checked a few times to see if GPS was on. The last couple of times I used Google maps or Navigation they've prompted me to turn on GPS, but have already had a fix on my position. It's coming to the point they (whom ever that it is that would care to know such a thing) will know where your device is even if it's just on.

sahartu

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Well there's the location reporting option that is on but if my location mode is off then i think its off as well.
And you are right "they" know your device location with the cell towers and WIFI connection.
It seems to me that even though i turned off my location its still on and the system is still using it. Also i installed an Xposed module called "Disable Google Network Location consent" it was supposed to let me enable location without the agreement popup but it didn't work so i deleted it, maybe its got something to do with that?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
So you think that there is some remnant of that app left on your device that allows your location to be seen even when it appears you have both GPS and location services off? I usually leave location services on just because the resources it uses are running all the time anyway. Then I just enable GPS when needed. As for that app you mentioned I think the intent behind that was to allow apps to turn on your location when needed. Google took that away in ginger bread. In jelly bean they took away the ability for apps to control airplane mode.

sahartu

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I dont know if that app did that, I can see android system in App ops running my location as if it was on.
The rest of the apps says when was the last time they used it but thats ok because i know the service was on.
I'm on 4.4.2 btw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2