Insane Battery Drain for No Reason!

rumblecreak

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've been experiencing extreme battery drain on my Nexus 4 for more than a month now (started around Jan 1st 2014). Basically the phone drains 10% per hour on idle. It's even worse when I use it.

I ordered a brand new original LG OEM replacement battery from eBay and replaced my old one (was about 1 year old).

Using this new battery and still seeing no improvement, I thought it could be software related and flashed this Android 4.2.2 image which is the official image from Google. It is the version of Android that came with the phone. I used the Unified Android ToolKit by SkipSoft.

I left the phone completely untouched after flashing, meaning I didn't install anything, didn't touch any config and didn't even enter my Wi-Fi password or connect my Google account. I charged it to 100% and put it on Airplane Mode, then went to sleep.

When I woke up this morning, I found out it ate 60% battery in 6 hours overnight, just like it's been doing for a month now. 90% battery usage went on "phone idle", which seems normal since the phone was idle doing absolutely nothing (no 3G, no Wi-Fi, no screen, no apps).

I conclude that the problem is not coming from my OS, neither from my battery. So I guess is either some software component problem that didn't get wiped when I flashed the image (is that even possible?) or it is some weird hardware problem unrelated to the battery. I've lost tens of hours over this and it's driving me crazy. Please help me out folks.

rumblecreak

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Screenshot_2014-02-09-12-03-32.png
Screenshot_2014-02-09-12-03-37.png

Note that I just took these shots, it doesn't represent how it was when I woke up this morning since I turned off airplane mode, charged and used the phone since.

But you can clearly see the 6 hour drain that occurred last night, leaving me with 40% this morning.

gtanner00

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Try resetting and leaving your phone over night with no other apps installed. See if you can work out what app is waking up the phone. (This will still show up as phone idle in the batter stats screen)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

rumblecreak

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Try resetting and leaving your phone over night with no other apps installed. See if you can work out what app is waking up the phone. (This will still show up as phone idle in the batter stats screen)

Check out my first post. I did this already. The problem doesn't go away at all with a freshly flashed and resetted phone, EVEN on airplane mode (no WIFI, no 3G)

gtanner00

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Check out my first post. I did this already. The problem doesn't go away at all with a freshly flashed and resetted phone, EVEN on airplane mode (no WIFI, no 3G)

Then definitely not a software issue. Factory image will solve just about anything relating to software since it completely repartitions the device.
Best of luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox