Windows 8 (8.1) doesn't see Nexus 4: MTP Error

bencrackber

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Been working on this for an hour. Tried installing new drivers. Tried updating MTP driver. Still no luck.

It doesn't always recognize the Nexus 4, but when it does, the Device manager throws an error:

MTPusbDevice.PNG

Tried updating the driver, but it says the best driver is installed.

Forced it to update the driver, and I get this error:

UpdateDriverError.PNG

At no point could I see it in Explorer.

Who is to blame her? Microsoft or Google?

What else can I do?

bencrackber

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I thought I had it beat. If I View > Show Hidden Devices, then uninstall the MTP driver, then plug it in, it looks like it's installing something:

installing.PNG

But it gets to the end of that, and nothing good happens. The MTP USB driver is back in the Device manager with exclamation point and no connection.

Then I tried doing this, keeping it unplugged and rebooting as you suggested. Same result. It recognizes it as MTP USB Device in Device Manager, yet there is no drive in Explorer.

Why can't these modern devices get along?

Imnutsnj

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't get my Windows 8.1 laptop to work with my phone what-so-ever, I had to use a Windows 7 computer.

Sent from my HTC DNA using NuSenseONE MAX - DNA ROM

bencrackber

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Since I had exhausted all the logical courses, I decided to try something that someone suggested but I dismissed as folly.

I tried a different USB cable.

Jeebus Effing Christmas.

The new cable works. Makes no sense to me.

bencrackber

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Maybe you need to go through the driver deletion and re-installation - AND - change the cable.

So the steps that made it work:

Go to Device Manager > View Hidden Devices > Delete all MTP instances.

Reboot.

Use a different cable, and plug in the Nexus. It will discover it and run the Device Setup screen (see above).

The combination of these things worked for me - not in that particular order, since I was trying multiple things at once.

Imnutsnj

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Windows 8.1 wouldn't see my HTC Droid DNA no matter what I did or installed. I wound up having to use a Windows XP computer (it also works with Windows 7).

Posted with my HTC Droid DNA using the NuSenseONE MAX ROM 5.5/4.4.2 via Android Central App

Nexusfan

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Since I had exhausted all the logical courses, I decided to try something that someone suggested but I dismissed as folly.

Jeebus Effing Christmas.

I just had exactly the same set of circumstances. The cable works for everything EXCEPT Android to Win8.1. Tried a different cable, works fine.

Alex Marin1

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Had the same issue on my Nexus 4. I found that if you install this update for windows Windows6.3-KB2835517-x64 (I have a 64 bit os;from the windows download center Download Media Feature Pack for N and KN versions of Windows 8.1 from Official Microsoft Download Center ) it works again. Found this on a thread on stackoverflow, can't find it anymore - it was smth about the fact that since they removed windows media player from windows 8, you don't have some drivers anymore and this fixes that.
Hope it helps!

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm a linux user, but used win 7 to root and unlock my N5 since the directions were for windows users. %&$#@*$# windows. Took me an hour and a half for me to get windows to recognize it. But for my N4, thank god I found a way to root and unlock it without having to use a computer. Took 2 minutes. :)

mikazo

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site

Jeebus Effing Christmas.

I literally spent all day trying to get Windows 8.1 to recognize my SGS3. As a last-ditch effort, I tried a different USB cable and it worked. wtf.