Where do the pics that show up during a call come from?

Zenith49

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I've been getting a few wrong number calls lately from the same number. It's a business that I have had no contact with (other than these calls) and a pic shows up on the screen during these calls with the name of the business. It looks like a pic from a website or maybe facebook. Could that be it? Today, one of my clients called me from his work phone, and it also had a pic and a name of the business with the call. I asked my client about it and he had no idea.

I understand that people in my phonebook who have pics will have the pic display during a call, I was just a little taken aback when I started seeing other pics. When did this start?

TIA
Z.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Started with the Kit Kat update. Smart caller ID runs does a Google search for the number and it shows you a picture along with the business name if it finds something :)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Zenith49

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I had no idea...

Now, the next question - does it link the pic to the phone number strictly through the name? I looked up my small business and I see pics from my website, but my phone is not really linked to my cell phone number. It's linked to an 8xx number that's forwarded to my cell. Ergo, I think that no pics will show up from any calls I make.

Yes?
Z.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I had no idea...

Now, the next question - does it link the pic to the phone number strictly through the name? I looked up my small business and I see pics from my website, but my phone is not really linked to my cell phone number. It's linked to an 8xx number that's forwarded to my cell. Ergo, I think that no pics will show up from any calls I make.

Yes?
Z.

It doesn't store it on your phone. Only shows when they call :)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2