Battery physically bent when changing screen.

stevez1337

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone, last night I was changing a smashed screen on my Nexus 4. Everything went okay and my screen works fine now except I have one issue regarding the battery. When I was prying out the battery, I seemed to have a lot of trouble with the adhesive. I didn't think to use a hot air gun and instead pryed it out with just a tool and in the process I noticed the battery was bent (not drasically, but maybe by a few degrees).

The battery seems to be charging and holding charge relatively normally but I am still pretty concerned as I keep hearing horror stories about exploding Li-Ion batts. Could this happen due to a bent Li-Ion or are the appropriate safeties built in? The battery in this device is very soft compared to other device batteries I have come across and I am surprised I am not able to find out more information on this issue.

I would change the battery just to be safe but unfortunately I'm travelling soon and don't have time to wait for parts to come in... and I haven't exactly budgeted for a new phone :-X

It may be good to mention that when I first fixed the screen, I had the 'red light of death' (to my understanding, this is power related) presumably just because my device battery had fallen to 0% when I smashed the screen and was unable to power down. I plugged in the phone into an outlet for ~30 mins, pressed power+volume keys and the red light disappeared and I was able to start the phone.

sirob

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Hey mate,

I had the exact same issue when fixing my screen today. I can't find any other information on this either, but I have the same concern. Did you end up replacing your battery or is it still running smoothly?

Any info would be very much appreciated :)

Cheers!

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
LiOn batteries which have been subject to any form of physical damage are a fire and explosion risk. If it were mine, I would give serious consideration to replacing it as soon as possible.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I just went ahead and replaced mine. I still have the old one and it worked, but with eBay, batteries are cheap purchases.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke