What does the "sad drums" notification mean? Happens constantly.

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
It's three drum beats that go down. At first I thought it meant the phone was running out of battery or that it got disconnected from a charger, but it does it all the time, not just when it's low on battery or getting unplugged.

What does it mean!?

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
It's three drum beats that go down. At first I thought it meant the phone was running out of battery or that it got disconnected from a charger, but it does it all the time, not just when it's low on battery or getting unplugged.

What does it mean!?

Can you take a screen print and upload it so we can see it :)

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty sure a screenshot won't help in this situation. ;)

It isn't an app because all Nexus devices make the same sound--my Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7 and Nexus 5. No one here has ever noticed this sound??? Or do you have other Android phones?

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a Nexus 4, and if I'm understanding the sound correctly, I've only ever heard it when my battery is low. I don't know what else it could mean, unless it somehow got set as your notification tone or something. >.>

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Constantly?

Is your device in a wallet-type case? Do you carry any cards in that case? Anything else in close proximity to your device?

I'm thinking you have NFC enabled (Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> More...) and you are hearing the notification sound which happens anytime an NFC-enabled card or fob is in near contact with the phone. European credit/ATM cards have NFC chips in them as do the access cards or fobs used by many office buildings, parking lots, and so on.

Not to mention other NFC devices. For example, if you have NFC enabled on your phone and your tablet and touch their backs together...

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Constantly?

Er.. no. Should have said *frequently*. A few times a day.

I'm thinking you have NFC enabled (Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> More...) and you are hearing the notification sound which happens anytime an NFC-enabled card or fob is in near contact with the phone. European credit/ATM cards have NFC chips in them as do the access cards or fobs used by many office buildings, parking lots, and so on.

Not to mention other NFC devices. For example, if you have NFC enabled on your phone and your tablet and touch their backs together...

Ah, that is really interesting. I'll have to experiment to confirm.

I have a Nexus 4, and if I'm understanding the sound correctly, I've only ever heard it when my battery is low. I don't know what else it could mean, unless it somehow got set as your notification tone or something. >.>
Hm, yeah it does seem to happen when the battery is low more often. In fact, I used to think it was just the low battery sound. But then I started realizing it makes the sound sometimes when the battery isn't low at all!

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
When my N4 battery is nearly dead and I attempt to use a charger with the inability to provide enough power, I hear the sad drums while the charger is plugged in. The drums continue periodically and the N4 does not charge.

When I switch to an adequate charger, no drums and the N4 charges.

Posted via Android Central App