Why is my Nexus 4 Lollipop update running for 4+ hours?

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Nexus 4: Lollipop update running for 4+ hours

I started download an install around 12PM PST on my Nexus 4 and it is still running. The stages I saw are the download itself, and then optimize all of my apps. Then it asked me to enter my PIN, after which is went on this crazy long "spinning balls" phase. It is 4PM now and it is still not complete. My phone is hooked into the charger too, if it matters at all. What is happening?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nexus 4: Lollipop update running for 4+ hours

No idea really (there's not much way to tell what's going on inside a computer without having an analyzer hooked to it), but leave it going overnight. If it still hasn't finished, I'd do a "battery pull" (hold the power button down until the phone restarts) and hope for the best. If it loops or doesn't restart, I'd bring it to the carrier and ask them to fix it. (The warranty on the update starts when you give it the go-ahead to update the phone.) If they can't fix it they get to give you another phone. (At least, that's how it works in the US - the laws where you are may be different.)

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site

I'll definitely give that a try. However mine is an unlocked phone and I have my service through AT&T (yes I am in the US). Can I still take it to those guys?

I tried calling the Google Tech Support guys and they asked me to wipe cache partition and give that a try, that did not work. Now thwy want me to reset to factory settings which I don't wanna do.

ashburn013

May 16, 2012
Visit site

The orb in the startup screen was spinning for me for about 5 mins, and then it stopped. Have you tried pressing the power button or tapping on the screen?

BobDaNob

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site

I'm currently at almost exactly 4hrs of orb spinning limbo on mine.

I'm beginning to feel as though they are taunting me with their multicolor dance of despair...

Alvester Garnett

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site

I had to hold-press the power button to get rid of the spinning color dots and then restarted the phone at which point the upgrade process continued. (My impatience got the better of me but it seemed to have worked) I probably waited only about 20 minutes of the spinning color dots before holding down the power button.

It took probably about 45 minutes to an hour for it to completely upgrade to the point the phone was back up and running with the new OS. I think going through the "optimizing apps" process and letting GMail migrate over my Exchange Server mail ate up a LOT of battery though. Normally I like to stay connected to a charger throughout the entire upgrade process but this time a business meeting and dinner forced me to take the phone with me and off the charger for a few hours.

Also my download was automatically pushed to me via the update notification. (I didn't do a manual update.)

Last edited:

BobDaNob

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site

Yes, after I manually rebooted it, it continued installing as usual. Looks like a little bug in the process for N4s, pehaps.

shadow0314

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

My Nexus has been trying to install for over 12 hours now and no luck, its stuck at the install screen, seems to looping , i have no idea how to fix this ....

Hard restart will not work, goes right back to the install screen...

Recovery mode will not work, goes right back to the install screen....

Last edited:

UnlockedOnly

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

my update downloaded and installed complete in just under 1 hour. Running 5.0 now for a full 24 hours with no issues yet.

poisui

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site

My Nexus has been trying to install for over 12 hours now and no luck, its stuck at the install screen, seems to looping , i have no idea how to fix this ....

Hard restart will not work, goes right back to the install screen...

Recovery mode will not work, goes right back to the install screen....

I got tired of waiting and I did a factory reset. After the factory reset, it will boot directly into 5.0 Lollipop. However, you will lose all of your data.

If you are installing 5.0 OTA and you are stuck in the screen with the spinning orbs, you can factory reset by doing this:

1) Turn off your phone
2) Hold Power & Down
3) Select Recovery Mode
4) Hold Power, then press up
5) Select "Wipe Data/Factory Reset"

Last edited:

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

I got tired of waiting and I did a factory reset. After the factory reset, it will boot directly into 5.0 Lollipop.

Good to know. I've been having problems with an unresponsive screen for the past couple of months, and I was planning to do a hard reset when I got the OTA alert so I'd have a fresh start. Now I know I don't have to wait. Thanks.

BTW, do I need to remove the SIM before doing the reset? Or does the reset not touch anything stored on the SIM?

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site

This happened on both my N7 and N4.

After a minute or two of spinning I simply powered off and powered back on again and the upgrade continued.