Why am I getting an install Error while updating Nexus 4 to 5.0.1 for 5.0?

Aditya Vishag

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Install Error while updating Nexus 4 to 5.0.1 for 5.0

Hello,

Model: Nexus 4 - Not rooted/Vanilla

I received the update for 5.0.1 last night, but while installing it, in the boot screen, I got an update failed message. (Android with back open and an exclamatory sign).

I panicked and turned it off. When I turned it back on, the screen wouldn't load beyond the swirly colors.

I looked up this forum and one of the suggestions was to Wipe the Cache Partition. I did this and my phone booted to the main screen but a lot of apps (Google Search, Skype, Whatsapp, Hangouts etc) immediately started crashing.

In addition to this, I got an error stating 'Storage Space Running Out' : Not enough storage for the system. Make sure you 250MB of free space and restart.

I had about 3GB of free space but just to make sure, I deleted about 2GB of content and restarted the phone only to face the same error and app crashes. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Install Error while updating Nexus 4 to 5.0.1 for 5.0

Hello,

Model: Nexus 4 - Not rooted/Vanilla

I received the update for 5.0.1 last night, but while installing it, in the boot screen, I got an update failed message. (Android with back open and an exclamatory sign).

I panicked and turned it off. When I turned it back on, the screen wouldn't load beyond the swirly colors.

I looked up this forum and one of the suggestions was to Wipe the Cache Partition. I did this and my phone booted to the main screen but a lot of apps (Google Search, Skype, Whatsapp, Hangouts etc) immediately started crashing.

In addition to this, I got an error stating 'Storage Space Running Out' : Not enough storage for the system. Make sure you 250MB of free space and restart.

I had about 3GB of free space but just to make sure, I deleted about 2GB of content and restarted the phone only to face the same error and app crashes. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
If you can, go into system settings > security > factory reset. Let the device reboot and see if that helps fix all the crashing/errors you are receiving.

Aditya Vishag

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site

Thanks srkmagnus. I was hoping to avoid that but looks like I will do that.

Okay. I just did a factory reset. Hasn't fixed my problem. Please assist.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

Since you did a reset anyway, I'd just dispense with the half-measures and flash the 5.0.1 factory image. Start from scratch, so to speak.

Sicily1918

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site

Okay. I just did a factory reset. Hasn't fixed my problem. Please assist.
Since you did a reset anyway, I'd just dispense with the half-measures and flash the 5.0.1 factory image. Start from scratch, so to speak.
I concur 100%.

Go here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images, scroll down to "Factory Images "occam" for Nexus 4" and grab the absolute latest (currently 5.0.1 LRX22C).

This link is a great guide for flashing stock images: Android 5.0 Lollipop Nexus factory images are live —*here's how to update! | Android Central (please note that, while the instructions say they're for the Nexus 5, 7, 10, and 9, the N4 is exactly the same).

This will completely wipe the phone, so back up your pics and stuff like that!!!

I've Lollipop factory-flashed 6 Nexuses (3 x N4, 2 x N7/2012, and 1 x N7/2013) so far and ALL of them are running great. The one not running great? The one that did an OTA from 4.4.4 (to be fair, it ran okay except for a random crash every now and then, but I still said "Forget it," and factory-flashed it).

• Factory Reset is like wiping your /User/[name] directory on your computer, as well as all of the programs on it.
  • Factory Flash is like formatting your HD and reinstalling the OS from a DVD -- it's completely clean with no previous system files.

spagu

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site

Same here - for UK version's - cannot update - during update it shows broken android picture and says ERROR - after reset it goes to v. 5.0 and aks again for update....

help?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Same here - for UK version's - cannot update - during update it shows broken android picture and says ERROR - after reset it goes to v. 5.0 and aks again for update....

help?

Have you tried updating manually, as suggested above? That is probably the best bet.

For anyone else having issues with the update, has flashing manually worked?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2