I dropped my Nexus 4 in water, now the screen is messed up. Do I have to buy a new touchscreen or do I have to buy a whole new phone?

Octaviannn

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Dropped Nexus 4 in water, dried, touchscreen not working properly

Hey everyone i need some help.
I dropped recently my Nexus 4 in the toilet (ew i know) it was fully underwater for 3 seconds. I took it out, dried it with a towel, and pressed the power button to turn the screen on, so it worked for like 5 seconds then it went off. After 10 minutes i disassembled it , (took only battery away), and gave it a 96% alcohol bath, for 1 minute or so. I went to school and my phone stood 11-12 hours in rice till i came home, then i disassembkled it completely , camera and speaker off and everything, dried it with a paper towel and let it dry in my room over night (9 hours), After that i assembled it and it turned on right away, but i have strange colors on my screen now, on the border of the screen. The touchscreen also doesn't work properly, i must press 10 times till i reach the menu (btw i have lollipop), and it also works alone, i may not press nothing, but the telephone app opens itself and calls random people. I think the touchscreen is scrwed up. I think it either from the alcohol, or from water (water still inside - between the toch screen and glass screen.) But i think the alcohol problem sounds more logical. I also have some photos of the screen.

Please help, i wouldn't want to buy a new touchscreen, maybe there's water inside or i don't know, but if there's no option left, i'll buy a new touchscreen.
Thank you!

EDIT:p.S: The colors got brighter and brighter...

Photo1: You can see the light orange stripes on the edge of the screen and also strange white point which seem to be "deep" in the screen
Photo2:20150205_171131 (768x1024).jpg
Video:
20150205_171146 (768x1024).jpg

Last edited:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
The purpose of the alcohol is to remove the water, and hopefully the impurities in it. Several changes of alcohol are recommended, with agitation in each case. Read Rukbat's article:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ow-s/477140-guide-oh-no-my-phone-got-wet.html

I imagine there is still water in there. In your position I would give more alcohol baths. I hope you get it to work.

Posted via the Android Central App

thedogesoft

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Re: Dropped Nexus 4 in water, dried, touchscreen not working properly

Get a Torx t5 screwdriver and a Phillips #00, and remove the backplate and battery. Next, put it in rice for 24-78 hours. If it still doesn't work, your phone may be dead, but always keep it just in case! Hope this helps :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma