Cannot connect to camera

luke227

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Hello

My Nexus 4 has been running Lollipop (5.0.1) for the last few months but since the start of the week I keep getting 'Cannot connect to camera' when attempting to launch the default camera app.

I have force stopped the application, uninstalled updates/re-updated and deleted data/cache. Since rebooting the front facing camera now works but the app doesn't recognise the rear camera at all. I have tried rebooting etc.. but nothing seems to work.

Prior to this I was having issues of the phone rebooting after using the camera for a short while (all apps that use the camera such as Skype, Snapchat etc..). Looked online and this appears to be a known issue that Google doesnt seem to be bothered about.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Try a different ROM. If it's a known Google issue, it's probably in the 5.0.1 ROM itself. (Is upgrading to LolliFlop worth the aggravation, or would you rather return to 4.4.4?)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What happens if you boot into Safe Mode? https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2852139?hl=en. If it works in Safe Mode, then something you installed is causing the issue. Try uninstalling those apps that access the camera, one by one. If you have a flashlight app, uninstall that as well, since those apps also access the camera.

Lollipop's faults notwithstanding, problems like this are often more likely due to the app developers not updating their apps to be entirely compatible with the new system version. If they become aware of an issue, then they can hopefully patch it with an app update.

luke227

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

Thanks for the responses.

I have tried safe mode and the problem still exists. The camera app no longer appears on the application screen (even though it is still installed). The only way to access the camera is from lock screen. When activated, the front facing camera works but there is no option to enable the rear camera.

I have also tried a factory reset, along with rolling back to Android 4.4.4 the problem still exists. I am now back on 5.0.1 with the same issue.

Looking as this is most likely a hardware issue?

Thanks
Luke

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Since it persists even in Safe Mode and after a factory reset, I'm guessing it's a hardware problem. Sorry!