zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Just sideloaded the OTA from 5.0.1. Had to clear data on Google+ to get it and Photos to work again, but otherwise no issues so far. I'll report back with any news of interest.

drew_t

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Humph. Got an "error" screen when I ran the update. Re-booted and I'm still on 5.0.1 and it says I'm up to date. What now, wait for another update notification?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Humph. Got an "error" screen when I ran the update. Re-booted and I'm still on 5.0.1

That sucks. I went through the same runaround with the 5.0.1 update. As I recall, it was a week or two before I got another update and was finally able to move up to 5.0.1. Sounds as if some of us are going through that again.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
What now, wait for another update notification?
If you're anxious you can sideload the OTA or flash the factory image, but the changes are fairly minor. The biggest complaint that I had with 5.0.x was the memory leak bug, but that took weeks to manifest, so it's gonna be a while before I can say if it's fixed for me in 5.1.

drew_t

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
If you're anxious you can sideload the OTA or flash the factory image, but the changes are fairly minor. The biggest complaint that I had with 5.0.x was the memory leak bug, but that took weeks to manifest, so it's gonna be a while before I can say if it's fixed for me in 5.1.

I've now had repeated failures of the OTA update. The log is indicating that "unexpected contents" have been found in a file or directory that includes the word "modem." I did previously do the modification that enables the LTE bands, and I am wondering if this is what is causing the 5.1 update to fail.

Sicily1918

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I've now had repeated failures of the OTA update. The log is indicating that "unexpected contents" have been found in a file or directory that includes the word "modem." I did previously do the modification that enables the LTE bands, and I am wondering if this is what is causing the 5.1 update to fail.
Absolutely. Your Nexus needs to be stock or the OTA generally fails. You obviously rooted it and changed config files, thus no more OTA.

drew_t

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely. Your Nexus needs to be stock or the OTA generally fails. You obviously rooted it and changed config files, thus no more OTA.

Flashing the LTE-enabling script actually only requires the bootloader to be unlocked; rooting is not necessary. Anyway, I ran the LTE-uninstallation script, waited for OTA notification to reappear, downloaded the update again, and this time it installed successfully. Then downloaded the newest version of the LTE script and flashed it. So now I have 5.1 and LTE, and hopefully I won't have to mess around with this stuff again for at least a few months.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Got it today. Took about 15 minutes for the download to start, another 30 minutes to download and then about 45 minutes to install. Will report any noticeable changes as they appear.